LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 26 2005

samer
Admin

Error 720 - Urgent Help.

My ISP recently changed his service to Broadband, so i create a new broadband connection and go throught the authentication process, the next thing you know, i get an Error 720 (see bottom of post for full details). The ISP sent a guy hoping he could fix it, he failed.

I really wanted to get online, so I decided to use my dial-up account, uh-oh, second surprise, i get the same Error (720).

so I phone the company i have a dial-up account w/ (Terra Net) - He asked a few questions and told me to download a tool called " WinsockXPFix.exe" - guess what? it didn't help ; so I rephone them, they tell me there's nothing they can do about it.

NOTE: actually, it has been 2 month that I have the dial-up problem, i changed the modem, made sure it wasn't the driver and searched for every rational explanation. It was until yesterday that my (other) ISP moved to broadband, and now I have the same Error for dial-up and Broadband.

NOTE: Dialup = TerraNet (summer connection) ; BroadBand = Some Other ISP (that i use during winter).

Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings connection. For further assistance, click More Info or search Help and Support Center for this error number.

EDIT: i'm going to try windows repair tool tomorrow ..

#2 October 26 2005

rolf

Re: Error 720 - Urgent Help.

I dont know if you have already tried the obvious, but the first results are interesting:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

...especially this, try the reset thing:

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns720.asp

Good luck
And also if you have any service pack that have not applied yet do it it may replace defective OS components.

#3 October 26 2005

mahdoum

have u made any recent changes to your computer software wise? and as for broadband because its in both dialup and broadband it has to be a software problem... Check for spyware or virus maybe?

#4 October 28 2005

samer
Admin

i think that winsockXPfix already does that automaticly .. but i'll try the cmd when i go home

Board footer