LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 11 2005

rolf

akamai #$&#*@

From time I notice such weird activity on my PC
Right now I was browsing and started receiving "connexion refused" errors
It turned out my computer was creating connections like crazy and eating the GDS connection quota.
I launched TCPview and it turned out the "system process" (PID 0) is opening connections to the IP 72.246.49.32 port 80 by the dozens from local port numbers in the 18xx range.
Funny thing is that there is no traffic at all over the connections. They just stay here for a couple of minutes then start to close. Then the whole thing starts again but with another destination IP etc...
I dont know what causese this activity. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't....

[EDIT: removed a bunch of useless blah-blah about Akamai]

Anyway anyone knows how to get rid of this annoyance with virus-like activity?

#3 October 11 2005

rolf

Re: akamai #$&#*@

Thanks a lot, man! I'll give it a try

#4 October 27 2005

vi_c

Akamai does in fact provide content delivery services. Big companies such as Symantec and others rely on it to host software that is in very high demand (antivirus updates, patches, e.t.c). The most obvious reason for that is to alleviate global load on their servers.
With regards to your issue, check who is initiating the connection and you'd be able to find out what program is behind it.

#5 October 27 2005

rolf

With regards to your issue, check who is initiating the connection and you'd be able to find out what program is behind it.

Thanks

The connections are initiated by the system process with process id 0. It is not a regular process opening connections, or else I'd have located it and deleted it.
I still have that damn proble. Any idea what I can do?

#6 October 27 2005

mahdoum

no clue  google it more lol

Board footer