LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 27 2005

Halo

High Upload Speed?

I really want to start playing Xbox Live, but there is a requirement on the Upload Speed, it needs to be at least 64 kbps. Download speed needs to be 128 kbps. I'm getting Terrnet's 256k connection. The guy said that in our area, we can get around 50k upload speed. does anyone know if you can get higher?

#2 September 27 2005

Padre

Re: High Upload Speed?

try the Wise connection. They, supposedly, have a 256 down and a 64 up. But they have a limit on the bandwidth u can use.
check their website http://www.wise.net.lb

#3 September 27 2005

Halo

I can't have limits on Bandwith because I'm gonna use Xbox Live and that requires lots of downloading and uploading :)

But I want to know if Terranet will work okay with Xbox Live, or is IDM better?

I heard cedarcom was pretty good, can anyone find some info from there? Thanks

#4 September 27 2005

naregkar

Hi,

I guess Cedarcom offers its services more to business enterprises rather than residential use.
Approx. a year ago, Cedarcom had plans to offer wireless broadband Internet for residents but till now nothing...

As for your broadband connection that you have from TerraNet, I guess all of the three major companies have more or less the same service, the same bandwidth because all of the 3 ISPs are related to one company, GDS.

#5 September 27 2005

rolf

I heard cedarcom was pretty good, can anyone find some info from there?

You're sure cedarcom has a residential offer?

#6 September 27 2005

rolf

I guess all of the three major companies have more or less the same service, the same bandwidth because all of the 3 ISPs are related to one company, GDS.

Every ISP has it's own connection to the internet, hence the quality of service is not the same.
I noticed a lot of improvement when I switched from terranet to IDM.

#7 September 27 2005

naregkar

Hmm, maybe.

I've heard that TerraNet uses satellite connection whilst IDM uses ordinary connection and still IDM's performance is better than that of TerraNet.

What I was telling was in general circumstances.

If you want check this article.

#8 September 27 2005

rolf

Turned out GDS is to someone close to Lahoud.

It smelled like an oligopoly, I mean the state has only issued some licenses.

#9 September 27 2005

rolf

I'm ready to give my balls that the guy in the article signed up with terranet (or cyberia?). I swear it's not that crappy with IDM.

#10 September 28 2005

naregkar

Turned out GDS is to someone close to Lahoud.

All sectors in the Lebanese economy have either been monopolised or "oligopolised" by the government.

Rolf, I believe the thing you stated. I referred to that article so that readers will have an idea of the situation of such services in Lebanon.

#11 September 28 2005

Halo

Anyone know how close the connection will be to 256k? And how did you get IDM so fast, it takes 4 weeks, doesn't it?

#12 September 28 2005

rolf

Anyone know how close the connection will be to 256k? And

256k = 30 Kbytes download

how did you get IDM so fast, it takes 4 weeks, doesn't it?

Who are you talking to?

#13 September 29 2005

Halo

You

You get 240k download? Wow, I was expecting to get around 180k with the high latency and what you posted about it

Is IDM much better? Can you tell me if it has high latency, and is it's ping good?

#14 September 29 2005

rolf

You

You get 240k download? Wow, I was expecting to get around 180k with the high latency and what you posted about it

Is IDM much better? Can you tell me if it has high latency, and is it's ping good?

Latency is the delay before you have before the download starts and reaches full speed, it has nothing to do with download speed.
From my experience, IDM is better then terranet in several things. That was several monthes ago, now maybe terranet have improved, but I dont think so.

I get pings around 400-500 ms usually, and never below 250ms.

but browsing speed has become slower with IDM lately. Pings may be around 400ms but it takes much more, usually several seconds, before a webpage starts loading.

#15 October 1 2005

Halo

I heard that really all I need for uploading is to send messages and host a party on Xbox Live. If I get IDM, would I download enough without any delays so I can join a party with a host that has a high upload speed? Because if I can then really Xbox Live will work fine with me :)

Board footer