LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 December 5 2005

Halo

Re: ADSL in 2006

Any of you called them? I can't now, my dad wants unlimited bandwith but I'm not sure if the bandwith is limited. Can any of you check? I don't think it would be though, I mean, it is symmetrical and they do say dedicated on it...

This company is definantly not a no name though. Look at their website. Their company was even placed in the LISP ( Lebanese Internet Service Providers ) website.

#102 December 5 2005

rolf

... in the LISP ( Lebanese Internet Service Providers ) website.

Can you give us the address of the LISP? Thanks.

#103 December 5 2005

darkstar

my my where are all those isps popping from

#104 December 6 2005

rolf

my my where are all those isps popping from

Eh it's like popcorn.
I guess they are all waiting for the moment that the state will lift it's monopoly on upload and the money will start flowing.

#105 December 6 2005

Halo

http://www.lebweb.com/dir/lebanon-inter … -providers

LISP website. Add it to your favorites. I thought all of you would have it on your favorites, but I guess not

Anyway, I read about Sodetel, and it seems very interesting. First thing, I think their Broadband home can be Aschronomous ( I don't know how to spell that ) or Symmetrical. I don't think it is powered by GDS. Also, it's a frech company, they got another company in France I think, and they use Fiber Optics too. They even mentioned on their website that they offer lower latencies and pings for better performance over the internet. It takes them 2 weeks to come to the house, but we are going to fill out applications for ourselves and people in our building and they said they'll come in like 2 weeks. They're latency is probably lower than IDM because they have another company in Europe I think and they use Fiber Optics but I think IDM does too but still Sodetel has a company in Europe

Same prices also. We're going to give it a try by telling them to come to our house and hook it up and everything then we'll check the latency and the speeds, if we don't like it, we'll just tell the Sodetel guy to uninstall it and then we stick with IDM and wait for ADSL or try out Alhajjan :)

#106 December 6 2005

darkstar

I guess i'll stay on my so called "cable" connection

#107 December 7 2005

Halo

*Sighs*

And another company!

A company offering 128 kbps download and 64 kbps upload. It has a name, but it's not an extremely big company, but I don't think they cheat because the other day our neighbor saw him carrying a lot of antennas to hook up at some places so that means lots of people are buying from him.

#108 January 3 2006

nuclearcat

Virtual ISP wishing you luck and success in life in business, in new 2006 :)
Best wishes from Russia also :)

#109 January 4 2006

naregkar

Hey guys!! Whats up???

Probably you heard this. Hopefully DSL will be available after March 2006.

More on the news can be found here.

#110 January 4 2006

samer
Admin

thanks for notfying us Naregkar (the news will appear on the front page)

#111 January 4 2006

King Killer

Wait wait wait, Everythnig seems great, the price the speed ect.. BUT NO VOIP???? So Like this means I cant tlk to my friends usin my mic on MSN or Battlefield2? Or Am i understaning this wrong? Oh and my friend says his friend has a 1mb connection from WISE, and hes paying for resedential use, not bisness, is that tru?

#112 January 4 2006

samer
Admin

@king killer: bypassing the filters wouldn't be that hard, hehe. And WISE have a download limit, bleh.

#113 January 5 2006

King Killer

Limit huh?
SO lets say the limit is 1gb, and I were to Download 1gb, this means I can continue to use the internet (gamin online, Surfin)without downloadin? Or will it just just stop my connection fully? <----(STUPID STUPID STUPID IF THE CONNECTION IS STOPPED!)

#114 January 5 2006

naregkar

I guess you won't be able to use your Internet connection during that particular month. Since browsing is a way of downloading (you are downloading images, javascript files, etc..., all of which are being saved in your temporary Internet folder).

#115 January 5 2006

jalal

guys it's only 512 K, i thought i will be minimum 2 MB. if it's 512 K better to still on dial up ...

#116 January 5 2006

naregkar

jalal wrote:

if it's 512 K better to still on dial up ...

That depends on the price and monthly limit.

If the speed is really 512 kbps (= 64 KB/s) and the limit is more than 1 GB, (for example 5 GB), DSL would make sense. Normal dial-up speed in Lebanon is about 4.7 KB/s.

#117 January 5 2006

samer
Admin

King killer, like naregkar said. By browsing you are download files to your computer so once the limit is passed you will not be able access the Internet at ALL.

#118 January 5 2006

King Killer

Well, Then limits suck huh? And I still am Kinda nervouse about no VOIP, you can never trust those ISP people, maybe they make it like its almost impossible to bypass it?

#119 January 5 2006

hj88

hello

i called idm they told me the connection is unlimited and that the 512 connection is for 50 $ per month
further details on upload and other packages will be available in 10 days

#120 January 5 2006

samer
Admin

Hey hj88, welcome to lebgeeks :)

connection is unlimited

you mean, no download limit ?

further details on upload

that's what i'm worried about :/

maybe they make it like its almost impossible to bypass it?

you said "almost" did you not ? ;)

#121 January 9 2006

hj88

hello you can check idm for faq regarding dsl

http://www.idm.net.lb/products/dsl/index.asp

#122 January 9 2006

samer
Admin

ah, there seems to be no session or download limitation, ..

#123 January 10 2006

nuclearcat

But i guess bandwidth throttling :)))

#124 February 4 2006

naregkar

Update about DSL.

Article can be found here.

#125 February 4 2006

samer
Admin