LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 October 5 2005

Halo

Re: ADSL in 2006

Really, if it's going to be limited, why not just get a dedicated connection from Destination? God, a Pay as You Go Destination Account can get you 4094kbps for only 12$ a Gig from 12:00-8:00.

#27 October 5 2005

vegeta

I will only ask for guys here who are taking ''broadband'' internet 128k to ask too their distributor,if someone want to ask my distributor and get more CLEAR answers call 01203197 and ask for Robert.Make him clear that 1g is too ridiculous if he gets enough complains before the service is launched then perhaps they will change something.

#28 October 6 2005

rolf

Who is this robert guy?

#29 October 6 2005

vegeta

Robert is the director of cyberliban,he was the cable guy in those old time of  60kb download :) then he converted to wifi-broadband and now he's preparing his network for adsl,he has weekly meetings with ISPs so he can influence them

#30 October 7 2005

vegeta

Someone called?
after it will be too late...

#31 October 8 2005

teodorgeorgiev

Guys   

Virtual ISP has already its first 6 customers over ADSL.
The next week probably they will double :)

The ADSL modem/router is not very costly, about $90 (and the price will go less).

Meanwhile you keep waiting for IDM  8)

#32 October 8 2005

vegeta

Man! Who is virtual ISP?
what are their parameters?
phone?
regions they cover?

#33 October 9 2005

rolf

Man! Who is virtual ISP?
what are their parameters?
phone?
regions they cover?

There's a registered ISP with that name in lebanon.
I'm not sure of the info, but it's worth checking out:

Virtual ISP s.a.l.

Dora, Center Cebaco
1107 2020
Beirut
Lebanon

phone:   +961 1 247373
fax-no:  +961 1 242911

#34 October 10 2005

vegeta

I called VISP
I doubt you will take from them:
512k = 300$ per month!!
2mb? 1000$
They live in another world haram...
I call back my IDM adsl guy in the end of the week,hope he will give me better news than 1gb per month,nchallah 1gb per day,it would be mush logical.
Whe nwe know that in France the 20mb/s unlimited is about 50$ per month...chou we have gold hubs in Lebanon?

#35 October 10 2005

teodorgeorgiev

What you know, is what you indeed DO NOT KNOW :)

In France 20Mbps can not be $50. France Telecom (FT) sells dedicated Internet access to Serbia PTT for the price of $120 per 1 Mbps, for the quantity of 80Mbps.

And this is the Internet access... Now try to move all that Internet from France to Serbia. The leased line is way too costly...

Vegeta, if you go to Saudi Arabia, the gasoline there will cost 8 times less than in Norway (where it is 1 EUR per liter). And Norway citizens do not live on the top of gold hubs. Since you are so smart, try to sell the gasoline
in Norway at the same price as it is in Saudi Arabia.

You looke to me as someone, who is entering the local Mercedes reseller with $4000 in his pocket. If you have money for Daewoo Racer, you drive Daewoo Racer. If you want to drive Mercedes, BMW or Porshe, pay the appropriate price.

Indeed, the price of IDM for 128k/128k (up/down) is ... ... .... $1200 :)
We are speaking of "dedicated" Internet here. Can you get the difference between corporate and home accounts? And between "dedicated" and "shared"?  I doubt that you do, because if so - you would not write your post :)

And one last question... Since you are so knowledgeable and you know  that in France 20Mbps cost $50, why don't you bring from France 10Mbps and sell them here for even $1000?

Answer me! :)

#36 October 10 2005

vegeta

Man I am not the one who choose the prices like you do,Ogero is the one,so even if I decide to bring france telecom adsl I will be obilged by ogero to put high prices,why?
Because we are in Lebanon and that as usual people who has the power to decide about prices want to win billions of $ in 1 year instead of getting the country into modernism.
I just invite you to watch french tv before you speak and you will see hundreds of advertising saying 20mb/s for 40 euros unlimited,also I have many friends living there who are using it at those prices and speed,kamen kellon kezebine?
You can also visit cegetel france to see how far you are from reality http://www.cegetel.fr/res/adsl/adsl_max.php
Also Alice a new french adsl http://abonnement.aliceadsl.fr/adsl/

#37 October 10 2005

teodorgeorgiev

How far is some of us from the reality, maybe the readers can decide.
www.google.com and search for "Teodor Georgiev".

In your previous post I have not seen a single word about Ogero, now you try to escape by blaming "Ogero".

And dear... 3 things:

1. "Up to 20Mbps" is toooooooooo different from   "20Mbps" :)

2. ADSL can not go to 20Mbps. only ADSL2+ can... and not always :)))

You need a good many of 50 years yet to learn to reach a technical level where you can quote me with websites :)

3. The speed they offer you is for LOCAL sites :). Indeed, you do not call it Internet, but connectivity.

20Mbps connectivity is not equal to 20Mbps Internet :)

#38 October 10 2005

vegeta

And perhaps IDM or virtual isp have different adsl than in europe?
when they say here 2mb/s for 55$ per month I found it very high because it's limited to 1gb per month and you the technical pro know very much that we need at least 3gb per month,no?
also you can read my posts and see that I talked about ogero before,but you still defend these old way of thinking that high price in bulgaria and Lebanon is normal.No it's not normal at all dear teacher,you are strong in technical stuff but not in marketing,here I am your teacher with 10 years of experiences and I know how marketing or better than that political marketing can limit access to science

#39 October 10 2005

mezin

You looke to me as someone, who is entering the local Mercedes reseller with $4000 in his pocket. If you have money for Daewoo Racer, you drive Daewoo Racer. If you want to drive Mercedes, BMW or Porshe, pay the appropriate price.

I couldn't help but notice the flaw in your thought... since i don't have knowledge enough to question the prices (which i still think are high taking all in consideration), i do however notice that you compared this with car sales

overlooking your grammar mistakes ... the example you provided was irrelevant , well to make it relevant one would say you are selling a Daewoo Racer not for it's increased price of shipping and all that but for the price of a mercedes ... got it ? hope so

and what's with the google search ?

#40 October 10 2005

rolf

What you know, is what you indeed DO NOT KNOW :)

In France 20Mbps can not be $50. France Telecom (FT) sells dedicated Internet access to Serbia PTT for the price of $120 per 1 Mbps, for the quantity of 80Mbps.

And this is the Internet access... Now try to move all that Internet from France to Serbia. The leased line is way too costly...

Vegeta, if you go to Saudi Arabia, the gasoline there will cost 8 times less than in Norway (where it is 1 EUR per liter). And Norway citizens do not live on the top of gold hubs. Since you are so smart, try to sell the gasoline
in Norway at the same price as it is in Saudi Arabia.

Indeed, the price of IDM for 128k/128k (up/down) is ... ... .... $1200 :)
We are speaking of "dedicated" Internet here. Can you get the difference between corporate and home accounts? And between "dedicated" and "shared"?  I doubt that you do, because if so - you would not write your post :)

And one last question... Since you are so knowledgeable and you know  that in France 20Mbps cost $50, why don't you bring from France 10Mbps and sell them here for even $1000?

Answer me! :)

Here are some numbers:
Note all the offers below are better quality than lebanon, better upload, no session limitation and real IPs. A real connection ya3ne not like the crap they hand us.

ADSL in Egypt
http://dsl.arkanet.net/packages.php?dsl=1
512k is 44$ a month, thats over 4 times less than lebanon (and the difference gets bigger when you buy bigger packs)

Saudi Arabia
http://www.atheer.net.sa/Services/DSL.asp
they have different offering systems. It'll cost about 133 USD per month of 256 k, for about 4GB monthly volume. That sucks. You can get cheaper though but with lower monthly voume. that's worse then in lebanon.

Canada
O canada!!
Here there is no such thing as 256k
It starts at 5mbits and if you do the math for this offer:
http://www.videotron.com/services/en/pr … xtreme.jsp
It is 60 times cheaper then in lebanon.
And no there's no catch. What you get there is virtually a dedicated connection, with the best latencies you can dream of. Go there, try their connextion then answer me.

(that's the page I used for currency conversion: http://www.xe.com/ucc/ )

But we in Lebanon are a RETARD country and shkor rabbak that we have internet, ma heik ya teodorgeorgiev? And oh if it makes you happy we're better off than syria and lybia.

#41 October 10 2005

teodorgeorgiev

I am not defending any days. You have to consider that I by myself am an Internet user/consumer as well.

Excuse me, are you sure that you are my teacher? In marketing?
You can not be strong in marketing, if your technical level is so low as yours really is (my words below will prove it).

Could you shortlist your 10 years experience? Where have you been working? Please, do not tell me that you have 10 years user experience, because you will make me laughing. For your own opinion, I have started working with computers and telecommunications back in 1987 (yes, not a mistake, when I was 8 years old), working how to program in Fortran and Assembler on c6502 and CM-601 computers and studying on maintaining Strowger and Crossbar phone switches at the PTT.

So, let me know your experience... In which field?

What do you know is only from the user side. Do you know how much costs an international leased line? --> NO

Do you know what kind of equipment is needed to start a middle size ISP (3 x 30 dial-up ports, leased line and cable)? Do you know how much the equipment costs, which brand exactly to buy and where to buy it at an affordable price --> NO!!!

So go sell that bu*sh*t with the experience of yours to someone else. Preferable to "Sukleen" people

I will tell you some things which differ.

1. There is a company in France with the name of "Alcatel". Suprisingly for you, this company produces a lot of telecom equipment, including - phone switches, mobile phones, DSL multiplexers, DSL modems (end user devices).

So, guess how much is the price for the DSL multiplexer and the DSL modems, when Alcatel are selling them to the FT or other french ISPs and then guess how much the price differs for other customers (like some lebanese or any other ISP) to purchase it from Alcatel (or someone else) and to deliver it to Lebanon.

2. You are comparing the price of the "ADSL 20Mbps" for $30 and the other for 512Kbps for $300. Let me tell you know how foolish you look in your calculations. First, do you really think that the ADSL gives you 20MBps speed? The answer is NO!  Ok, ADSL2+ gives you 20Mbps, BUT... ...

20Mbps DOWNLOAD speed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
ONLY DOWNLOAD.

That is because ADSL is an acronym of (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line). Pay attention to the word "Asymmetric".

So, dear "marketing experienced" teacher, do you think you will be able with the ADSL to make 20Mbps upload? The answer is - NO !!!
But there is no way for you to know that with your "10 years of marketing experience" (maybe in selling pizzas, fruits, shoes or fish).

The maximum upload speed of the ADSL2+ is 1.2Mbps. Never in the "ad" of those URLs they noticed how fast is the upload speed. But this is nothing, compared to your 10 years marketing experience...

3. Does any of those ADSL providers guarantee you that you will get those 20Mbps permanently all the time? Or at least 90% of the time?
The asnwer is - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! This is maximum speed, and when you will get it and how frequently are you going to get it is quite another story, which can not fit into your 10 years marketing experienced mind...

So, start distinguishing between full-duplex speed and asymmetric speed.
Also, between maximum speed and guaranteed/dedicated speed.

Why dont' you tell to all us here what is your business indeed and at what prices do you sell your products/services, so we will compare them with the rest of the world? Shall you do it? If not - do not waste people's time.

#42 October 10 2005

rolf

teodorgeorgiev I'm not discussing on your claims about european ADSL. You may be right I dont know.
I just had the impression that you were somehow defending what we have in lebanon
When I was over there they'd get 275 KB/s all the time on the DSL.
I dont know about that 5mbits connection though. But I dont think they'd somehow scr** you on that.

#43 October 10 2005

rolf

So, dear "marketing experienced" teacher, do you think you will be able with the ADSL to make 20Mbps upload? The answer is - NO !!!

Yeah well back here they give us 32 kbits upload, nothing more. That's not upload that BS. Even in egypt they have 1/4 ratios and optionnal 1/2 ratioss.

#44 October 10 2005

teodorgeorgiev

275KB per second is about 2.2Mbps.

But not 20Mbps. The guy was bragging on how they give you in France 20Mbps for about 40EUR (or sort of, I do not remember exactly).

What you have in Lebanon is not that bad, comparing to 100 other countries.

But you are looking only at the Internet.

Lets see how expensive are let say the fruits in France, how expensive is the monthly fee for an apartment, or how expensive is the gasoline... Or even the ticket at the public transportation system (bus, subway and etc).

#45 October 10 2005

teodorgeorgiev

Rolf, even without the 10 years marketing experience (as the other guy here), a lot of people will tell you that on the marketing field "what you see" (or what they promise you) is not always what you really get :)
Specially when the source of the information is an egyptian web site  8)

I can promise you sooo much also

mountains of gold.

P.S. I have been dealing with Egyptians in one of my past job (in a large satellite operator - no names though, those who know it - they know it),
the way they cheat can not be described with human words   

Stay cool :)

#46 October 10 2005

teodorgeorgiev

Well, Rolf... After reading that, if I was you... I would hang myself (no, do not it, it won't help)

http://groups.google.com/group/sherif/b … 846a4b7c5b

#47 October 10 2005

rolf

Sorry in my previous post when I mentionned "there" I meant canada (I think you understood france).
I'm not sure what pack my canadian friend was paying to get his 275KB/s but it doesnt matter, the quality of the internet was just amazing. You're NEVER short of bandwith, even when uploading and latency is hardly noticeable.
Whatever you think of works: download DVDs, watch hi-res online TV, play online games as if you were on a LAN.... hi-quality video conferencing... PC remote control.... whatever you think of, it works flawlessly.
The internet just WORKS, you know like the phone, TV... back here... you know when you pick up the phone you never ask yourself if the phone will work... you know it always works... well over there the internet is like this, you never ask yourself if you have enough bandwidth, or sufficient latency.... whatever you decide to do online it will work.

#48 October 10 2005

vegeta

Ya teodor ma ba3ref chou,all you can say is bad words about everyone here daring open their mouse because you think you are the master of knowledge,walla chou hel genie enta!
I doubt you have worked in a company more than 10 days because with your lack of knowledge you can't go anywhere.
Yes I am a teacher in marketing but I will never take you as my student because you are too proud of yourself and too fool to understand anything.
you just talk like a child of about 10 years and pretend to know something about internet.
also I have a mcse graduation just to have more knowledge in my field,but no mcse is too poor for you perhaps?
ah yes I forgot monsieur is God in person,please applause him

#49 October 11 2005

teodorgeorgiev

If you want, come in public and I will check your knowledge you should have with this MCSE :)

For the companies I have been working at, you can check Google.

For my (lack) of knowledge, go here:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/ … 3D.ee8f891

This is the Cisco official forum. Check the Network Professionals rating.
As you see, I am on the first place with 57 points :)

Btw, I am a CCNA + CIPT + CCAI (Cisco Certified Academy Instructor, a person who trains people to become CCNA).

Instead of "doubting", you might check it (if you have the brain to do it).

Btw, you still did not tell me where is your business and experience in ?

Till you do not tell me, I will refrain from replying to your person :)

Lets fight with facts, not with empty words.

#50 October 11 2005

teodorgeorgiev

Board footer