LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 23 2005

naregkar

WLAN Issue

Hi,

After searching for a legal wireless Internet service with affordable price, I switched  to local illegal cable system.

In my home I have two PCs. I am thinking of deploying Wi-Fi. I'll buy the wireless router and make my Pcs connect each other. Honestly, I didn't tell the cable provider that I'll be deploying Wi-Fi in my home.

He said that he will have the MAC address of the NIC card. (This is the case if a subsciber has only one PC)

In my scenario, I guess he will ONLY have the MAC address of the wireless router, isn't it? I will disable DHCP Server option for the wireless router so that I'll configure it by myself later.

Is my scenario correct?? Does this work or he will want to have the MAC addresses of the wireless adapters of both computers?

Any help is appreciated,
Nareg

#2 August 23 2005

mahdoum

Re: WLAN Issue

He'll only need the MAC address of your router (if the router is connected to the cable internet) Everything else should work just fine.

#3 August 23 2005

naregkar

Okey, this is good.
Thanks man!

#4 August 23 2005

rolf

MAC is the hardware address of the adapter. It is not the IP address. The MAC address of your adapter can sometimes be changed, but you should not count on it, it is not always the case.
The easiest option is to call your provider and tell him that you want to change your MAC address and give him the one of your router. He doesnt need to know that it's a router (if he has something against connection sharing). You can tell him that you replaced your computer if you want.
Wireless sometimes also involves setting up other things such as "security id" (encryption stuff). Hope someone else can help you on this matter.

If your router is capable of "sharing" a wireless connection, then your isp will only see the MAC address of your router, and your internal network will be hidden (firewalled) from him. In this case there is no reason to disable DHCP since your internal network is hidden.
Of course you'll need to set up the router first so that it knows which one of the wireless connections is the internet connection. You may also have to configure the router with the IP, gateway, etc... of your wireless connection if they are not automatically assigned.

#5 August 23 2005

mahdoum

I've been through everything there is to get a wifi in your house, it has been hell, hope it isn't for you . If you need anyhelp with wifi just post it here or pm

#6 August 24 2005

naregkar

Thanks rolf for your reply.

I'll only give the MAC address of the wireless router to the ISP. Then I'll do the rest of the work.

If I face any problem, hope you guys can have a solution.

Thanks again.
Nareg

#7 August 24 2005

mahdoum

just make sure you have/bought a good wireless router, I had many problems because of the router it was over heating and a lot of other problems.

#8 August 24 2005

naregkar

Hmm! Thanks for the notification!! Indeed, I have to look for a good one. It will be over heated because it will be working all day long...

#9 August 24 2005

rolf

If you are considering a given model, you can post it and I (we)  can check if it has everything you need.

#10 August 25 2005

darkstar

I suggest you plan well the position of the wireless router cause according to what i heard wireless transmission is severly reduced when passing through concrete (which include iron) walls, i'm still not so sure about that. U might need to do some site surverying..Good luck

#11 August 25 2005

mahdoum

You're right darkstar it does effect but not as much as you think, I have a router and a computer that is 2 walls and at an angle behind it and it has excellent connection, on the other hand I have another pc that is behind 4 walls and it has a good connection. From experience it's not only where you place it in the house make sure that the antenna is far from any walls so that you get maximum coverage.

#12 August 26 2005

vi_c

Why buy a router when you can turn an old PC (Pentium I) into a router/firewall that handles up to T1 traffic-loads and is more secure than any proprietary router you might find in the market. Look into running OpenBSD as your router/firewall/access point. It'll be a fun project during which you will learn more about networking/security than anything else you do.
And like any PC running 24x7, there is no issue of overheating

#13 August 26 2005

naregkar

Yes, I have to find the best location for the wireless router so that the signal which reaches the other rooms is excellent in quality. The best way is to use the trial & error method that we use/used in scientific subjects.

vi_c, I have an old PC. The problem is that I do not have enough space. So, I'll go for wireless router. For the overheating problem, I guess you are referring to the PC whilst mahdoum referred to the wireless router....

#14 August 28 2005

vi_c

naregkar, I was discussing the overheating issue in general, and was  specifically highlighting the advantage of running a PC-based firewall/router/AP as far as cooling is concerned. Cheers.

#15 August 28 2005

rolf

Yeah yeah vic but that better be left to someone who has lots of time and computer knowledge on his hands.

#16 August 28 2005

mahdoum

and space to place the computer  specially since the center of most houses is in akward places

#17 August 29 2005

naregkar

Today I went to Virgin Megastore in downtown, and other computer related stores and couldn't find a wireless router with 4 ports. The only thing I found was an Apple Airport which costed about $300.

Is this product available here in Lebanon and is it too much expensive?

#18 August 29 2005

mahdoum

yeah that is expensive, try looking for netgear, linksys products, I have a linksys and from experience i recommend you get a access point router and a modem seperatly and connect the two together. This will mean you can have different connections (you just have to change the modem) and you won't have overheating problems.

#19 August 29 2005

rolf

naregkar try
http://www.pcandparts.com/drives.htm
In the "Network Cards, Hubs & KVM Switch" section
What I would do is check out the specs of the models on the internet, but you may also call them and ask. The guy is really not a geek but maybe he can help.

also call compuworld in dekwaneh (you can haggle about the price, so check out pcandparts first to take an idea about the market prices)
compuworld: 01-686267

#20 August 30 2005

rolf

Wait naregkar I was checking the specs and it seems most of the routers mention the ability to share DSL and cable connection, but mention nothing about sharing a wireless connection, which is what you want to do.

So we need to investigate this further, but right now my connection has slowed down to like 3k. I swear someone needs a beating at IDM.
It is perfectly fair that the person responsible for these repeated network failures (it's not the 1st time) gets a real beating.

#21 August 30 2005

mahdoum

yeah they should get a beating  I also feel the freakin down times and slow internet connection, it's really pissing me off. As for the router/modem like I said best solution is to get a wireless router/switch and then connect the modem to that router.

#22 August 30 2005

rolf

Oh I thought that he was receiving his connection through a wireless LAN adapter.

narekgar, are you receiving your connection through an internal wireless LAN adapter or an external wireless modem connected to the PC by an ethernet cable?

#23 August 30 2005

naregkar

Okey, first of all I want to thank both you guys of providing your support.

Now, I will be subscribed to a local illegal cable system. This ISP will probably install a Cat5 cable from the roof of the building to my room. The end of this cable will be inserted to the WAN port of the wireless router. In my home I have two PCs. I will place this wireless router near my desktop PC and connect this latter to one of the LAN ports on the wireless router via Cat5 cable. As for my notebook, I already have a wireless PCMCIA adapter. By this way, the only PC which will have WLAN connection is my notebook.

This is my scenario.

I guess my explanation refers to rolf's second suggestion.

As for the wireless router, I found one which was Creative. I want to ask you guys if this brand for wireless routers is good or not.

Thanks

#24 August 30 2005

mahdoum

The setup you'll have is all you need, it would be cheaper if you get a wireless pci card for your pc and connect the laptop as an adhoc connection (but i think that will mean you can connect only one computer/notebook to the main computer).

As for creative I haven't heard of them making wireless routers :S.

Doesn't this country even have a decent wireless router anymore? lol. Your best bet would have to be linksys (if you can find it)

#25 August 30 2005

rolf

You're welcome :)
I had assumed that your cable provider used wireless, turned out to be wrong.

Board footer