LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 17 2005

batata

help plz

can any1 help... i currently have illegal cable, 10mbps and download speeds are on average 30-40kb/s i got this cable so i could agen play games online as i did in canada... so when i opened the ports... the ping latency while playin games is around 600ms, almost the same as dial up.
So im thinkin of gettin Terranet 128k broadband, would it be better? i would get idm but they need 3ppl in bldg.

thnx

#2 April 17 2005

toxic

Re: help plz

hey thats really fast how much u pay per monthy 

and does bittorrent work or p2p programs

if u want i hav internet connection cable from terra net

#3 April 17 2005

rolf

Nop, I have terranet 512 and they have the same latency (600ms)
That's because they use a satellite backbone.
Try IDM, they should have a much better latency.
Note that the upload on these connections is not more than 32kbits, (even less on the 128), so i dont know how good that is for games.
Plus the "legal" "broadband" have annoying session limitations (23 simultaneous connections max)

#4 April 17 2005

rolf

30-40 K download is great, especially if you're talking kazaa. That's almost what I get with my terranet 512 account (175$/month) on http download.
On kazaa I only get these speeds during the night.

#5 April 17 2005

batata

well it says its 10Mbps, but i don think so, its very incossistent, alotta times the html coding will show up on the site, and i don know how good its download speeds are on kazaa cuz ports are blocked. i wanna see my ping latency, but wenever i try to ping it , it closes automatically before i get the chance to even read it. i might post a paper in the bldg to see if ne1 wants fast connection so i can get idm... o well tnx neway

#6 April 17 2005

rolf

Note that the latency I am talking about is for connection over the international backbone to sites in the USA and the rest of the world.
For connections to lebanese servers, the latency is very low because they are connected to the national cable backbone.
So if you want to play online with someone who has a "legal broadband" connection in lebanon, you'll have good latency over terranet.

Anyway if you stick whith the cable, you can get around broken downloads by using getright (a download accelerator), and the blocked ports by using http-tunnel (5$ per month) or socks2http (10$ per month, but better response time)

#7 April 18 2005

toxic

batata first to get a download speed like urs in lebanon is fuking more than amazing

btw r u in lebanon and if u r plz send who is giving u and the price plz ok   

thanx

#8 April 18 2005

rolf

batata you can do what I'm going to do: take a terranet account for 1 month then call your dealer (no not that one, the other one; the guy you paid for the installation), and tell him to switch your account over to IDM. Should not cost a thing. I'm going to try to do that and tell you what happens.

#9 April 18 2005

rolf

toxic he says kazaa is blocked so it's not that good!

and by the way did the thing that i sent you work?

#10 April 19 2005

toxic

ya its really good thnx rolf but u know i have cyberia u think i should switch to idm to don't they have all the same  cheap servicee

and also battata tell me wre u get download sppeed llike that and how much u paying for it

#11 April 19 2005

batata

listen guys can u tell me a way to test out my tru speed, cuz wen i connect it sez 10mbps but i seriously doubt it.

#12 April 19 2005

rolf

just try downloading files from several sites and you'll get a good estimate of of download speed. speed will vary depending on site and time of the day. You'll usually get the fastest downloads late at night and in the morning.
It is better not to rely on the speed you see in the download box; time the download using a chronometer (or the windows clock) and then divide the size of the file by the time in seconds and you'll get the download speed.
Repeat this 2-3 times with different sites. Try downloading stuff that other people are unlikely to have already downloaded, this way it will not be cached by your isp.

I'm a complicated person, eh?
That's how I do it...

#13 April 20 2005

toxic

u guys battat tell me how much ur paying for u r 30kb/s

#14 April 20 2005

rolf

TSOG gave this link in another thread to test your connection speed:

http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0150.asp

#15 April 21 2005

batata

i pay 45$ a month, ok here are the results from the tests 1st time i got... 168 kbps second time i got 56.6 kbps, third time... 36.24 Kbps... 4th i got 86.96 Kbps talk about incosistent

#16 April 22 2005

toxic

batata which area r u in and can u give me the number of ur internet provider

#17 April 22 2005

rolf

i pay 45$ a month, ok here are the results from the tests 1st time i got... 168 kbps second time i got 56.6 kbps, third time... 36.24 Kbps... 4th i got 86.96 Kbps talk about incosistent

LOL!
Welcome to lebanon.

#18 April 22 2005

samer
Admin

^  hehe, ditto :lol:

#19 April 24 2005

batata

ok toxic if u insist, i live in hazmieh, heres the number... 03635285... btw, if u wanna open the ports so u can use kazaa its 70$ a month

its fast in the morning and afternoon, it really depends how many ppl are on at the same time.... so at night its really slow

#20 April 24 2005

samer
Admin

kazaa its 70$ a month

!? :?

#21 April 24 2005

toxic

dont u think by using http-tunnel u can open these ports battata and also u think that bittorrent works

#22 April 25 2005

batata

ok i dl http tunnel for free,so how do i open ports?

#23 April 25 2005

toxic

no idea rolf can tell u

#24 April 25 2005

darkstar

man no matter what u do , you wont be able to play any game with a latency below 500-600ms so remove FPS games off your list , also i have this internet cafe with world of warcraft ( a really cool online rpg) we tried to reduce latency as much as possible but it wouldnt go below 500-600 ms , our connection was from terranet ( i am not sure what backbone they got) , but imo online games in lebanon is almot impossible , i used to personally play warcraft online i used to get between 1-2 sec lag which can really kill u.

#25 October 5 2005

Halo

batata, are these speeds kBps or kbps?

Board footer