LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 15 2005

jayinferno

Hushmail - Another healthy advice before i leave

Another healthy advice before i dive back to my work

www.hushmail.com

I saw this once, i didnt try it. It seems like a great web-based email system, and its PGP Encrypted! They also have many sweet services like document storage and sharing , and good offers too.
Should be good for all the paranoid sneakers out there. give it a try

Laterz

#2 April 15 2005

rolf

Re: Hushmail - Another healthy advice before i leave

Thanks.
Personally, I'm happy of my new free gmail account, with 2 gigabytes of storage. They also offer free POP access to your gmail and POP download from other accounts. And they have a really great navigation interface (google speciality).
If you want a gmail invitation, ask for one on this forum:
[ -- no need for the link anymore, just ask mahdoum -- ]

#3 April 15 2005

mahdoum

why go there? just ask me for one or 50 if you want =P

#4 April 15 2005

rolf

Thanks

#5 April 15 2005

rolf

Hushmail apparently does offer better security, though.

#6 April 15 2005

samer
Admin

yes we have plenty of invites to give away :) - i still did not try hushmail because i'm satisfied with gmail, but i should give it a try.

#7 April 18 2005

jayinferno

hush is more into PGP security. thats the difference with Gmail. Gmail rocks.. ! With the interface and speed wooow. The Labels are great, but i'd prefer folders also. The thing is Google are trying to kindda create a new "concept" for Thread-Emails.
By the way i have plenty of invites too if u guyz need any

#8 April 18 2005

jayinferno

oh bye the way, off-side question: couldnt put it in the other topic cuz its locked. Is it true that hotmail will soon start chargin for the usage of Outlook with pop access to hotmail ? i read that a year ago. Didnt know what happened, but till now all is working well.

#9 April 18 2005

rolf

One thing I dislike with gmail is that they wont let you send executables. That's stupid, a warning to the receiver - for example, with a big red CAUTION sign:
"this attachement may contain a virus  and may severely damage your computer. Click OK if you trust the sender and still want to download this attachment, or else click cancel to go back.
More details: Attachement contains an exe file."

need more?

Actually gmail is probably more worried about the security of other non-gmail receivers, and may be doing that because of the security flaws in outlook that  can make an attachement execute upon receival (without user input). Thanks microsoft.

Well it may be possible to rename the exe into something else and ask the recipient to change the extesion back to exe. But it's a complicated task for most non-technical users, involving firing up a command window or changing the explorer settings in windows. Thanks again, microsoft.

#10 April 18 2005

mahdoum

Well actually hotmail have stopped pop3 access for new users but old users can still access it. Although I'm not 100% sure if they have to pay or not.

#11 April 18 2005

samer
Admin

One thing I dislike with gmail is that they wont let you send executables. That's stupid, a warning to the receiver - for example, with a big red CAUTION sign:
"this attachement may contain a virus and may severely damage your computer. Click OK if you trust the sender and still want to download this attachment, or else click cancel to go back.
More details: Attachement contains an exe file."

need more?

Actually gmail is probably more worried about the security of other non-gmail receivers, and may be doing that because of the security flaws in outlook that can make an attachement execute upon receival (without user input). Thanks microsoft.

Well it may be possible to rename the exe into something else and ask the recipient to change the extesion back to exe. But it's a complicated task for most non-technical users, involving firing up a command window or changing the explorer settings in windows. Thanks again, microsoft.

zip or rar it.

#12 April 18 2005

mahdoum

just get webspace and put it on your website ;) lol

#13 April 18 2005

rolf

Thanks for your help, but zipping it doesnt get around the problem, it tells me that the zip file contains and executable...  :x
I have a website, but it's so much easyer to send it by mail, and especially to receive it by mail... comparing it to the method of opening and ftp account on your website for a friend then giving him the password and username and telling him to upload his file, then downloading the file. come on!

#14 April 18 2005

rolf

terranet have blocked my outgoing mail server again! these guys suck.

#15 April 19 2005

mahdoum

lol, I think there's a website that allows you to upload data temporarly i'll see if i can find it

#16 April 19 2005

jayinferno

rolf yeah i guess renaming it is the easiest as u said. Cuz yeah zip and rar not only say this in Google, but some mail recipients like when i used MDaemon has also ZIP file receipt blocked by default. Rename it, or even make it without extention. Now the problem remains if the recipient doesnt know that he can see the file with its extension in windows hehe.. Suggestion: for non techy recipients: send them a mail tell them to come pick up the file on CD heheh

#17 April 19 2005

samer
Admin

Suggestion: for non techy recipients: send them a mail tell them to come pick up the file on CD heheh

:lol:

Board footer