LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 13 2004

samer
Admin

How you can break Murphy's Law

A panel of experts has provided the statistical rule for predicting the law of "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" - or ((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10)).

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_pag … 62,00.html

#2 October 16 2004

KingRhye

Re: How you can break Murphy's Law

I understand what Murphy's law is about, and I never agreed with its logic, it really sounds like mumbo jumbo to me, especially the formula.. I never really cared to find out how this formula was constructed, so maybe someone can find a link to show where it came from ?

#3 October 17 2004

godfather

good questions. Yeah I hope someone can give us a link about this. I THINK they just collected data from 1,000 people.
these cases were chosen in such a way that all the factors from Skill, Importance, complexity, etc... all ranged from minimum to maximum.. that is from 1 to 9. They just recorded the results...
This is where the difficult part is, and the results are definitely NOT accurate, but it's somewhat close to reality. The formula is the asy part where they just used regression in many different forms until they found an adequate result...
It would've been interesting to know what they exactly did though...

#4 October 17 2004

KingRhye

Check this out, http://www.murphys-laws.com, I'm not sure if this is the REAL thing, but it's funny and interesting to read, try the Computer Laws. But no sign of the formula in there..

#5 November 21 2004

Sami

guys i have studied the law for a while.. read a lot of experieces about... it...

it is amazingly true....

imagine there are 5 five people siting on a table... all are smokers exceot one person... but just one person  is currently smoking now...... the smoke will actually go towards the non-smoker and annoying him....

weird, yet true

p.s.  King kifak man? remembered me?

#6 March 15 2009

battikh

why would the smoke go towards the none smoker? does he create some kind of wind tunnel which other smokers don't?

Board footer