LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 September 27 2005

mahdoum

Re: What os do you like to use

linux, won't really use it till i do networking and understand the meaning of freaking networking in windows (which isn't much fun to do i think)

#27 September 27 2005

mezin

windows cheaper ? linux == free.

read what i said again ... i was giving reasons why linux IS a better choice as a server => i said linux is cheaper... 

ROLF you misunderstood completely as well.. i totally agree that linux/unix is a better base for servers ...

the topic title is what OS do you like to USE ... not which is a better server ...
it's like discussing which do you prefer chocolate ice cream or vanilla ice cream and then someone tries to win the argument by stating that vanilla is used in a lot of cakes.....

#28 February 12 2006

hisham88

windows XP is so simple and most of it is( I candy ) this is y ppl love XP !!
MAC is so simple and much safer than XP !! although its not Programming friendly !!
linux is used by more complex PC users who are into programming and like to take full control over their  system thats for sure if u know wat i mean !   lol im not an expert in software or operating systems but im 99 % sure !!!
any 1 disagrees ???

#29 February 12 2006

KingRhye

Samer: advanced server versions of linux aren't free, they're quite expensive too.
rolf: good points there, but I just wanna add one thing to hisham's post: most system administrators don't have time to dig in code depth and troubleshoot such problems on linux servers by rewriting the source code and recompiling then testing etc etc, every minute lost is worth a load of money, and windows servers are easier and more practical to troubleshoot than linux.

#30 February 12 2006

Sadus

KingRhye,
Let me correct you here.

Most good sys admins *should* and *will* dig in code to troubleshoot. It is true that windows servers are easier to troubleshoot, and that might be very true for simple IT use, for companies with 50 users or less, but remember that on Win platforms, the sys admin is very limited.
Let me give you a personal experience, as i'm typing this post, i'm tweaking 3 apache servers to serve a large website (12000 concurrent users). I'm digging alot in apache's code to optimize and compile apache with ONLY the modules and features needed (Its harder than it sounds). That's how yahoo.com did while using apache + freebsd, that's how wikipedia.org's setup is based on Linux servers (Debian, Squid, Apache, MySQL, NFS, etc... http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers for more info)

You could never do that with windows servers. It is because of Linux and Unix variants that huge websites and heavy load applications exists. It is because of Linux and Unix that scientific studies and researches are getting done, you can check top500.org, cyld.com for supercomputers running Unix/Linux.

#31 February 12 2006

teodorgeorgiev

KingRhye, yes the advanced versions of UNIX OSes (Redhat AS/ES, AIX, HP-UX and etc) are not free, but trust me - not too much people are buying them. I have been using Windows and Linux (and UNIX) servers, and I can pretty sure say --> Linux servers are better both in performance, security and flexibility. The issue is, let suppose a small office of 30 people. If they want to use a Linux server, they have to hire a Linux guru, which is pretty expensive (espesially in Europe and North America). UNIX OSes require much more experience than Windows ones. Therefore small offices use Windows servers, and I do not see nothing wrong with that. A small Windows office server (file / printer sharing, Active Directory domain, DHCP, DNS, mail) --> pretty cool,  especially if there the Windows is behind a NAT.

But when you come to critical performance... what you will tell if you understand that Microsoft uses a lot of FreeBSD and Solaris servers in their network?

All the telecoms (+ mobile telecoms) use for their storage --> Oracle database running over Solaris, FreeBSD or HP-UX UNIXes... You think they do not have enough funds for Windows servers and therefore have switched to UNIXes (commercial ones)? ;)

P.S. My desktop is under SuSe 9.2 (I am merely switching to Windows to play some games) and for servers --> Fedora Core or Gentoo are preferred.

#32 February 12 2006

KingRhye

When I refer to advanced linux server, I'm not talking abut people or even small business companies, I'm talking about major companies. On the other hand, when I referred to troubleshooting linux, I was referring to desktop linux versions. Hope I'm clear now.
Sadus : in your case I stand corrected and bow to you bro hehe :)

#33 February 14 2006

hisham88

i have a friend that put linux in his XBOX !! by that he took full control of it !  weiird shiit :S

#34 February 14 2006

samer
Admin

weird ? not really

#35 February 15 2006

hisham88

well for me it is  haha  as i said i am not a big fan of software ...

#36 February 17 2006

darkstar

I am currently downloading The Ubunto Distro i am still somehow a beginner with linux.
Any thoughts on it(ubunto)?
I just installed FC4 and for some reason it didnt detect my Ti4800 so i couldnt get to higher resolutions. After reading and trying for several hours, the damn Nvidia drivers just wouldnt work. Is there any particular problem with FC4 and Nvidia drivers?

#37 February 18 2006

JoeDaemon

it's a nice distro, accessible for everybody, pretty complete, i advice Debian 3.1 (sarge).
BTW u can get ur own copies of ubuntu shipped to ur doorsteps for free: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
Gr33ts

#38 February 21 2006

rolf

I am discovering that linux is great for programmers. Better compilation and memory performance, a lot of tools etc... make it perfect for developping solutions.

#39 February 21 2006

darkstar

Here I am now using ubuntu , it feels pretty solid and comes with lots of packages.
I have to agree with Rolf that the memory management is simply brilliant.
However I am using it through VMware workstation which is a great software and makes switching between different OSs a couple of clicks away.

An offtopic question:
Does anyone know a shop that has MS Vista?

Thanks

#40 February 21 2006

karim soubra

i know but he has it as beta 2 so i don't know if you are interested

#41 February 21 2006

darkstar

well yeah its worth a try..

#42 February 21 2006

karim soubra

what would you like to do then

#43 February 22 2006

darkstar

I'd like to get it if possible :S

#44 February 23 2006

zis

I've been working on different linux distros for quite some time. And i can tell you things are evolving really fast.
The myth that ui in linux isn't good has been smashed by the lastest releases of KDE and GNOME they could easily emulate WinXP or OSX graphics and functionality or use their own which are supperior.

Concerning the server distros, this

good points there, but I just wanna add one thing to hisham's post: most system administrators don't have time to dig in code depth and troubleshoot such problems on linux servers by rewriting the source code and recompiling then testing etc etc, every minute lost is worth a load of money, and windows servers are easier and more practical to troubleshoot than linux.

is complete nonsense. When you hit a bug in Windows, you can do nothing but wait for microsoft to release a patch. (It usually take 2 weeks to 1 month). On linux you can either fix it yourself or wait for the patch which is usually released in less than 24 hours. Plus, the number of bugs found on linux are peanuts compared the the tens of new bugs found on windows every day.

advanced server versions of linux aren't free, they're quite expensive too.

this is a misconception too. Linux is released under the GNU GPL license. which obliges everyone who sells any version of any program using some code from linux to release the source code of the program. When you pay for linux you don't pay for the program but for maintenance.. but you could always get hte program for free.
Maybe you're talking about UNIX that might be very expensive. That's true, but UNIX is completely different than linux. Still unixes too have very good open source distos (FreeBSD, NetBSD..) and recently open Solaris.

#45 February 23 2006

KingRhye

I get you, but I said troubleshoot, not debug. You misunderstood me there or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway you seem to have much more experience than me in this field, so I oughta respect that :)

#46 February 23 2006

rolf

KingRhye wrote:

I get you, but I said troubleshoot, not debug. You misunderstood me there or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway you seem to have much more experience than me in this field, so I oughta respect that :)

If by troubleshoot you mean only configuration problems, then for sure you're right.
I was thinking bugs and incompatibilities.

#47 February 24 2006

KingRhye

Exactly rolf. I remember once a friend of mine was trying to run an application on his linux box and it wouldn't start, it needed more "file descriptors" or something.. he had to reconfigure and then recompile his kernel. My point was that in windows, troubleshooting and reconfiguration are much simpler and more accessible and practical than in linux.

#48 February 27 2006

karim soubra

hey darkstar a guy is advertising vista on elmazad here is the link:
http://www.elmazad.com/item_view.php?item_id=57216

#49 February 28 2006

darkstar

Thanks Karim i'll give that a look.

#50 March 5 2006

battikh

My personal taste: Slackware
for teh ones thatsay that the best are Win XP and MAC OS, MAC OS X is based on UNIX, so...

Board footer