LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 12 2020

SwiftStrike

Freelancing while fully employed?

I need advice. A client i landed recently as a freelance is asking me for an invoice as a condition to be able to pay me in cash dollars by transferring to my fresh bank account.
but i'm currently a full-time employed, with cnss
so what should i do? Because i wanna go the legal path and keep a peace of mind

#2 October 13 2020

rolf

Re: Freelancing while fully employed?

Are you a registered freelancer?

#3 October 13 2020

SwiftStrike

No, can i register as a freelancer while i'm fully employed in a company?

This is the dilemma that i'm trying to solve

#4 October 13 2020

Flakk

Is the client aware that you are fully employed ? If so i recommend creating your own personal invoice. I dont think you can do anything legally unless you registering yourself and pay useless fees (which i dont recommend tbh)

#5 October 13 2020

SwiftStrike

Yeah the idea is i want to do things by the book, i don't want to be surprised later on by a humongous fine from the state.

and i don't want to lose my access to the national cnss, i think i have to waive this when i register as a freelancer? or i can still keep my full employment benefits?

#6 October 14 2020

Hybrid

just invoice under your own name, unless the amount is huge like 10K or more.

Pretty much every developer in Lebanon does freelance outside of their full time job, and most aren't registered, and never heard of anyone having any problem.

#7 October 14 2020

SwiftStrike

Alright,

But one question though, shouldn't i submit taxes if i send invoices? or im in the clear?

#8 October 15 2020

Guitaret

SwiftStrike wrote:

Alright,

But one question though, shouldn't i submit taxes if i send invoices? or im in the clear?

If this client books is in Lebanon, he will need to have your مالية number which is a process freelancers go through so they can invoice legitimate business. If this is a small amount or the client is based outside Lebanon, I wouldn't bother going through this process and what taxing consequences might result from that.

Currently, I generate a virtual invoice using invoice-generator.com/

Last edited by Guitaret (October 15 2020)

#9 October 15 2020

jsaade

Additionally if you do not provide / have a finance number, your client needs to pay a tax (rounded to 7.5% of the amount). Usually clients deduct it from the original when they pay you.

#10 October 16 2020

SwiftStrike

Oh i think i got it now.

I think the easy path is to just let the client deduct 7.5% of the amount if they are local

or just send the money through bank transfer without worrying about sending an invoice, if they are located offshore.

Board footer