LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 March 24 2020

NuclearVision

Re: Self-Quarantine: How are you managing in Lebanon?

rolf wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

I got approved for a summer internship in Germany and worried they wouldn't be managing to open the airports anytime soon...

Yes, I'm afraid this will have to be a winter internship.

I also think so.

About the hydroxychloroquine, I read that this drug do wonders in vitro but not in vivo, how it works is still not clear hence not optimally used.
Would it be used for covid19?
I think not, i think that another treatment protocol/vaccine will soon emerge, i could be wrong though.

#52 March 24 2020

Tech Guru

NuclearVision wrote:
rolf wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

I got approved for a summer internship in Germany and worried they wouldn't be managing to open the airports anytime soon...

I also think so.

About the hydroxychloroquine, I read that this drug do wonders in vitro but not in vivo, how it works is still not clear hence not optimally used.
I think not, i think that another treatment protocol/vaccine will soon emerge, i could be wrong though.

To make it short, ACE2  receptors are mainly expressed by type II and type I lungs alveolar epithelial cells. Corona virus has spike protein or S-Protein that binds to ACE2 alvelor epithelial cells to make them as a host to release its RNA. The cell it self becomes a factory of several virus copies. Hydroxychloroquine blocks that binding process to a certain extent.

What is worth mentioning that SARS 2003 spread , has S-Protein spikes but were not efficient enough to bind to the ACE2 receptors;  thus the low infection rate. Corona mutated it self and makes its spikes more efficient to bind ,  thus the high infection rate we are seeing now ( 1 to 3).

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 24 2020)

#53 March 24 2020

NuclearVision

Tech Guru wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:
rolf wrote:

I also think so.

To make it short, ACE2  receptors are mainly expressed by type II and type I lungs alveolar epithelial cells. Corona virus has spike protein or S-Protein that binds to ACE2 alvelor epithelial cells to make them as a host to release its RNA. The cell it self becomes a factory of several virus copies. Hydroxychloroquine blocks that binding process to a certain extent.

What is worth mentioning that SARS 2003 spread , has S-Protein spikes but were not efficient enough to bind to the ACE2 receptors;  thus the low infection rate. Corona mutated it self and makes its spikes more efficient to bind ,  thus the high infection rate we are seeing now ( 1 to 3).

Hey man thanks for the info, made me dig a little bit more.
The virus does indeed work like you said, but not the drug at least to my knowledge, some sources also claim that ARBs actually worsen the prognosis, so it's not merely the virus binding to the receptor that counts.
What would be more interesting, and which is being studied at present time, is the antibody response to this virus which could lead to vaccine development or some ind of passive immunity treatment, and that's what I'm hoping for.

#54 March 25 2020

az09za90za

i just want to state that remdesivir is the closest could be to approval as a treatment for covid-19.
Both MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV-1 are inhibited by remdesivir in multiple in vitro systems, activity against SARS-CoV-2 infectivity in
vitro is also documented , the drug is being tested in multiple randomized studies , largest being in china (phase 3).

#55 March 25 2020

nuclearcat

If you really want to know, how ICU handling covid19.
https://www.onepagericu.com/
ICU_one_pager_COVID_v2.6.png?format=1500w

Last edited by nuclearcat (March 25 2020)

#56 March 25 2020

Tech Guru

I highly suggest this informtaive and comprehensive approach yet very clearly  illustrated.

Two Sources:

Ninja Nerd Science - COVID-19| Corona Virus:  Treatment ,  Prognosis , Precautions

https://youtu.be/rdoN_XsHWBI

Dr. John Cambell - COVID 19 Mutation & Evolution

https://youtu.be/FYPZHA-UjUY

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 25 2020)

#57 March 27 2020

Johnaudi

Tried to get some cash from Moneygram from LibanPost today, all closed. Any ideas whether there is still any MoneyGram/CU agents that open?

#58 March 27 2020

Kareem

Johnaudi wrote:

Tried to get some cash from Moneygram from LibanPost today, all closed. Any ideas whether there is still any MoneyGram/CU agents that open?

Wrong thread ?

#59 March 27 2020

Johnaudi

Kareem wrote:

Wrong thread ?

I'm assuming (and certain) that they're closed due to the quarantine, how can I manage to find one open?
(to put into perspective with the thread title)

#60 March 27 2020

rolf

I want to go jog after the curfew... does anyone know what kind of trouble I can get into?

#61 March 27 2020

TheIlluminative

rolf wrote:

I want to go jog after the curfew... does anyone know what kind of trouble I can get into?

A fine if they catch you, from 100,000 till 600,000 LBP.

#62 March 28 2020

VincentKeyboard

This is very much over the top. What about people who need to jog at specific hours due to medical reasons?
Will they accept a note from my doctor?

#63 March 29 2020

nuclearcat

VincentKeyboard wrote:

This is very much over the top. What about people who need to jog at specific hours due to medical reasons?

Treadmill?

#64 March 29 2020

xazbrat

Something like this could be huge if it works as advertised.  Can be used at ports of entry and hospitals initially and maybe rolled out to schools, universities and other places with large gatherings of people.  I don't think it would be quick enough for places of worship yet, but slowing and controlling the spread is the most important thing right now.

#65 March 29 2020

xazbrat

VincentKeyboard wrote:

I have resorted to skipping rope on my balcony and not taking elevators for cardio and doing some crossfit to cope.  Been 3 weeks since I have been at a gym and I don't like it.  Still wish I had a pullup bar though....

#66 March 29 2020

Kareem

xazbrat wrote:

Something like this could be huge if it works as advertised.  Can be used at ports of entry and hospitals initially and maybe rolled out to schools, universities and other places with large gatherings of people.  I don't think it would be quick enough for places of worship yet, but slowing and controlling the spread is the most important thing right now.

Problem is, false negative. During incubation period, and with lack of symptoms, an infected person can test negative.

This works best if you are already having symptoms and want to know if you have COVID-19 or not.

#67 March 29 2020

xazbrat

Kareem wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Problem is, false negative. During incubation period, and with lack of symptoms, an infected person can test negative.

This works best if you are already having symptoms and want to know if you have COVID-19 or not.

I don't know what the accuracy of this particular test is, but they say about 30% of the people with the virus are asymptomatic, ie don't show any symptoms, but they can still infect others around them.  The more people that are tested, the better that it can be controlled.   Even if there are false positives, there is still an option to confirm a negative, but takes a bit longer.  Right now, not enough people are being tested, and sometimes the tests take a week or more, and while the person may receive a clean bill of health from the test, he could have been infected while waiting for the result..  Also, it is my understanding that even during the incubation period, you can still detect the presence of the virus, but probably won't have any symptoms yet, so detecting it early would be a good thing.

#68 March 29 2020

NuclearVision

@kareem False negatives are independent of the clinical state of the patient, it's inherently a problem of the technique (pcr in this case).
Any test has sensitivity which is the capacity to detect as ill, people who are truly ill, the rest will be false negatives.
Specificity on the other hand is the capacity to detect as not ill people who are truly not ill, the rest will be false positives.

Last edited by NuclearVision (March 29 2020)

#69 March 29 2020

VincentKeyboard

nuclearcat wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

Treadmill?

Too pricey in today's uncertainty conditions.
Plus, frankly, I don't like that stuff. I see people sitting on their butts all day and taking taxis to work and back then using a treadmill for an hour at night. Just walk to work and back instead. That's why Europeans are more healthy than us Arabs.

#70 March 29 2020

kareem_nasser

VincentKeyboard wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

Treadmill?

Plus, frankly, I don't like that stuff. I see people sitting on their butts all day and taking taxis to work and back then using a treadmill for an hour at night. Just walk to work and back instead. That's why Europeans are more healthy than us Arabs.

I personally am a runner but always used to do home workouts, so nothing changed. If you wish send me a PM your location as i might be able to ask around fellow runners in the community if they live in a similar or close area how are they managing. Generally they advised to either do their runs very early or very late. But do take into consideration that you might be fined especially if you are not alone.

#71 March 29 2020

xazbrat

VincentKeyboard wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

Treadmill?

Every person I have known that has bought a treadmill, has an extra piece of furniture laying around unused after a few months. P

#72 March 29 2020

TheIlluminative

No don't get a treadmill, but a spinning bike instead (no big space needed or electricity). I had a treadmill and to be honest it's very boring.

Bike + some weights (10 kilos for each arm) would do magic! You can do a lot of nice exercises. I have TRX as well.

#73 March 29 2020

nuclearcat

TheIlluminative wrote:

No don't get a treadmill, but a spinning bike instead (no big space needed or electricity). I had a treadmill and to be honest it's very boring.

Bike + some weights (10 kilos for each arm) would do magic! You can do a lot of nice exercises. I have TRX as well.

Maybe elliptical trainer better?

#74 March 29 2020

TheIlluminative

nuclearcat wrote:
TheIlluminative wrote:

Maybe elliptical trainer better?

I wanted to get an elliptical but it's expensive. I found some for cheap prices but they are small or really basic.
https://www.provideolb.com/product-details/87/244

You need to pay more than $1000 to have something decent, while have that price you could get a nice bike. ''

If you have some money and space to spare, you could have this home gym from Adidas!
https://mikesport.com/collections/fitne … -gym-black

Last edited by TheIlluminative (March 29 2020)

#75 March 29 2020

Toufic

All you need is:
A couple of dumbbells for your shoulder and arms exercise (don't use for more than 3 times a week with these)
A good yoga mat (doing 2 to 3 times a week 60 minutes core routine)
And this won't be for everyone but force yourself to do yoga once a week at the least, deny or not, but it does make a huge difference in terms flexibility and breathing/stamina)

If you do these just one hour everyday you never need to walk in a gym ever again

Board footer