LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 11 2020

kareem_nasser

Self-Quarantine: How are you managing in Lebanon?

Let us share how each individual here is isolating himself/herself during the current COVID19 outbreak. Managing our daily tasks and jobs.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (March 11 2020)

#2 March 11 2020

nuclearcat

Re: Self-Quarantine: How are you managing in Lebanon?

Start 2 weeks ago, it was unevitable. I don't overstock, but bought more a bit medium-term supplies than usual (pasta, canned foods, sauces, rice), to avoid unnecessary visits to supermarkets.
In market observed obviously sick person without mask carelessly coughing on stand with vegetables, while picking them, so, keep that in mind, wash vegetables in sterilizing solutions really well. Any visit to public place taking attention to not touch face, have disinfecting spray in car, to spray on hand before touching surfaces in car.
Keeping reasonable stock of vitamins at drawers and using them, to boost immune system.
All shopping bags, purchases and external clothes are sterilized under UV-C lamp for 20 minutes, if i had unavoidable visit to public space.

#3 March 11 2020

Ya like jazz

nuclearcat wrote:

Start 2 weeks ago, it was unevitable. I don't overstock, but bought more a bit medium-term supplies than usual (pasta, canned foods, sauces, rice), to avoid unnecessary visits to supermarkets.
In market observed obviously sick person without mask carelessly coughing on stand with vegetables, while picking them, so, keep that in mind, wash vegetables in sterilizing solutions really well. Any visit to public place taking attention to not touch face, have disinfecting spray in car, to spray on hand before touching surfaces in car.
Keeping reasonable stock of vitamins at drawers and using them, to boost immune system.
All shopping bags, purchases and external clothes are sterilized under UV-C lamp for 20 minutes, if i had unavoidable visit to public space.

Good tips, any idea where to get a decent uv-c lamp around here?
I have some LED grow lights (uv+ir), would they work?

Last edited by Ya like jazz (March 11 2020)

#4 March 11 2020

nuclearcat

Got it from aliexpress while ago. Aquarium sterilizing lamps are exactly uv-c too, but no idea if they work without water/cooling.
LED lights unlikely to do the same, when uv-c lamp works - it makes big amount of ozone.
And be careful, they are extremely dangerous and if you are exposed too long - it is carcinogenic for skin. When it runs - nobody should look to it or stay in room, and after - ventilate room from ozone first, dont inhale it.

#5 March 12 2020

eWizzard

Don't use UVC lamps. Dangerous, ineffective in a lot of situations, waste of money.
Be smart and just wipe your stuff clean with a detergent or disinfectant. Dettol is awesome.

Last edited by eWizzard (March 12 2020)

#6 March 12 2020

nuclearcat

eWizzard wrote:

Don't use UVC lamps. Dangerous, ineffective in a lot of situations, waste of money.
Be smart and just wipe your stuff clean with a detergent or disinfectant. Dettol is awesome.

Good luck to dettol/chlorox all your external clothes properly and keeping them in useable state after that :)

I wonder also, why they use bactericide lamps in hospitals, while @eWizzard tell they are ineffective.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a … 531630579X and
https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/ijerp … -03572.pdf and
https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/20 … 1/download
and so on, its endless list that bactericide lamps are efficient.

Yes, dangerous. Inhaling concentrated ozone (or inhaling ozone even not concentrated constantly) extremely dangerous and burning skin with UV-C carcinogenic, and you should keep that in mind. Watching the light will burn your eyes as well.
Kids, pets should be put away from this light and keep attention on them.
Worse than that, if you use it constantly, it will destroy rubber objects in room, degrade plastics and etc.
But it does disinfect and it does help, if you use it properly. Otherwise they wont use it in hospitals (sure if it is proper hospital).
They are also used in water treatment, replacing chlorine based systems, and while it is different case, it still proves it does difinfect quite efficiently.
In our case we just need to decontaminate as much as possible external surfaces from small amount of particles that might be infectious. Definitely it is not efficient as full decontamination, such as washing them with proper, concentrated sterilizers, but such sterilizers will destroy your clothes. And i have big doubts dettol on scale of efficiency is anything else than just fancy soap.

Last edited by nuclearcat (March 12 2020)

#7 March 12 2020

eWizzard

UVC can very easily ruin clothes too, if not directly by photo-oxidation, then by ozone production and oxidative reaction over time. UVC also has extremely poor penetration depth and is therefore very ineffective against irregular or textured surfaces such as clothes and carpets, bags, and anything that casts shadows where the light won't reach. In hospitals, such lamps are used to sterilize smooth and flat surfaces such as tables and benches.

You can justify using UVC lamps to yourself all you want, and read and cite articles all you want, but it doesn't mean that you're an expert, or that it's applicable everywhere. I would even say it's extremely bad advice in this case.

The most common and recommended procedure in hospitals and biological labs is to disinfect surfaces and tools using a disinfectant solution. Much easier, more thorough, very effective, much safer, and much cheaper than UVC lamps. You can use detergents on clothes, it's fine, it's what they're made for. For smooth surfaces such as tables, you can use 70% alcohol. There's absolutely no need to overcomplicate and reinvent things.

Last edited by eWizzard (March 12 2020)

#8 March 12 2020

nuclearcat

Improper application of disinfectant on fabric surface is even less efficient than UV-C. For proper disinfection you need to use significant amounts, and preferable more serious agents, such as hydrogen peroxide, which again damaging fabrics. And, btw coronavirus seems survive some of disinfectants.

Yes, it might ruin some types of clothes, but my clothes, lab coat and gloves are doing fine, i have this lamps over several years and regularly using them, and i can assure you, did quite extensive research on them. We are not talking about making even biosafety level 1 lab, we are talking about reducing contamination with minimal expenses.
I dont see as feasible extensively soaking all my clothes and wasting tons of disinfectant (that's only how it works better than UV-C), but i know that ozone and uv light exposure will reduce minor micro-particles contamination on surface of shopping bags, shoes, and other clothes. Yes, i realize that there is shadowed areas, but again, still it's more efficient than quick spraying of small amount of alcohol(as everybody do), because it mostly evaporate before even reaching fabric surface in necessary concentration.

UVC "advice" is extremely bad for cases when person are not understanding risks of it. As i said, ozone are harmful for lungs, ventilate room, dont inhale it, extremely dangerous for skin and eyes (easy to avoid exposure), and might damage surfaces, fabric, rubber on long exposure, but thats unlikely happen if you use it max 1-2 times per week for 15-20 minutes, for few weeks until story is over.

And sorry, it is bullshit about cheaper. UV-C lamp will work for many hours runtime, and it cost  just $15 with shipping (if we use E27 convenient socket), it does run for 2 years.
With alcohol, for proper(better than UV) disinfection, you need to actually SOAK your clothes in huge amount of concentrated alcohol. Each 500ml is approx 4000-5000LL. Usual detergents used during washing in their concentrations might not work. Also i'm not going to supermarket in lab coat or chem suit, many of my "exterior" clothes wont survive even soaking in trivial cold water.

And by the way, i am not advising to use it, i am sharing my own experience.

#9 March 12 2020

eWizzard

The lamps lose power over time, mind you. Sure, it'll be "on" but unless you measure the output, you'll never know if it's still effective 6 months later, for example. Good facilities regularly test and replace their lamps and don't wait for them to stop working.

You don't need to soak your clothes, or use bleach, or hydrogen peroxide, or anything like that. Regular detergents are good enough, because coronaviruses aren't particularly hard to kill. In other words, just manage your clothes in a smart way, separate them, wash them regularly and if you have reason to believe that you've been exposed, and don't go crazy and start overspending on bottles that someone else would need. Really, the best prevention mechanism is your brain. Even if you buy the most powerful UVC traya in the world or use the most powerful detergent in the world, it won't guarantee that you won't get infected, but using your brain and some soap can help a lot.

#10 March 12 2020

nuclearcat

At 9000 hours they are still efficient. This means 27000 x 20 minutes sessions, even if i use them daily, its 739 years. More likely it will each end of lifespan earlier due igniting coils wearout.

We are talking now about additional measures beside usual "wash your hands, dont touch ur face" and etc.
And yes, i do believe i am under significant risk of being exposed, i saw 2 reckless persons in supermarket at last visit, obviously sick, without masks, coughing hard on stand with vegetables, cashiers and etc.

I wonder why they dont listen to your expert opinion and still recommending to use or using UVC with fabric hospital beds, seats and etc :)
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202003/ … 7c0f4.html
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aer … lizer-news
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/05/buses-bl … -12352400/

#11 March 12 2020

Ya like jazz

Thanks nuclearcat, I'll probably fix one above the clothes hanger (far enough) and run for few minutes, it's still way less damaging than over washing clothes, especially here at high altitudes with heavy clothing that are hard to wash generally.

#12 March 12 2020

nuclearcat

Make sure you don't inhale ozone this lamp generate. I do it in separate room, close it (especially no kids or pets nearby), and then turn before entering (wifi switch), or run ventilation system or hold the breath and opening window.
Take extreme precautions with this light, it is very dangerous if used improperly.

#13 March 12 2020

eWizzard

It's not just my opinion. The CEN, CDC, NIH, ABSA, and NSF among others don't recommend the use of UV lamps in biosafety cabinets (which are designed for handling biological hazards far worse than the coronavirus) for many reasons. All the health and safety experts I talked to also said that UV lamps are not necessary.

YwshN8v.jpg

UV lamps are little more than a cash-grabbing business. They're not even a standard anywhere, they're just optional. Those ridiculous products you linked to demonstrate that perfectly. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#14 March 12 2020

Ya like jazz

nuclearcat wrote:

Make sure you don't inhale ozone this lamp generate. I do it in separate room, close it (especially no kids or pets nearby), and then turn before entering (wifi switch), or run ventilation system or hold the breath and opening window.
Take extreme precautions with this light, it is very dangerous if used improperly.

Guest bathroom, near the ventilator then with door closed, I'll relocate the coat hanger.
I'm being a bit panic'y as the nearest hospital is 4 hours drive (we have one close that everyone calls it the morgue for a good reason)
From Quartz:
"UV light sanitizer
Another relatively new product gaining popularity in both Asia and the US is the UV light sanitizer, used for disinfecting accessories such as glasses and smartphones—on which viruses can live for as long as 96 hours.

Created by a company based in the US, PhoneSoap, which simultaneously sanitizes and charges the phone, is already sold out on Amazon. Other options on the market resemble a wand, while others come as containers that disinfect items placed within them.

One reminder from Chan is to read the instructions carefully. Though some boast of killing 99.9% of germs in mere seconds, these statements are mostly exaggerated. While these sanitizers generate beams of ultraviolet light that can break down cellular structures, the process is far slower compared to chemical methods.

“Sterilization is more complete the longer the radiation. It takes time—a few minutes or up to 30 depending on the UV source and the level of contamination,” said Chan, who notes that UV light should not be used on the body as it damages body cells as much as bacteria and is a well-known cause of skin cancer."

Last edited by Ya like jazz (March 12 2020)

#15 March 12 2020

rolf

I still haven't figured out how to deal with door handles. I end up washing my hands all the time just in case. Also I forget not to touch my mouth / eyes.

#16 March 12 2020

eWizzard

Use elbows or legs to push them open if they're not closed shut (some handles can be operated with elbows), or disposable gloves, and wash hands anyway.

#17 March 12 2020

Ya like jazz

What about brass/copper door handles, always heard that they are self disinfecting.

#18 March 12 2020

eWizzard

Yes, but you can't rely on that, especially not in places where they get touched frequently and by different people.

#19 March 12 2020

xterm

rolf wrote:

I still haven't figured out how to deal with door handles. I end up washing my hands all the time just in case. Also I forget not to touch my mouth / eyes.

I never open doors using my hands when I'm out of the house, it's either wrists or elbows.

#20 March 12 2020

potato

xterm wrote:
rolf wrote:

I never open doors using my hands when I'm out of the house, it's either wrists or elbows.

how do you open the door of the elevator ?

#21 March 12 2020

nuclearcat

You wont get infected, if you dont spread it elsewhere, e.g. touch by this hand face and etc. (control yourself, sometimes people scratch face by hand "automatically")
Just open doors normally, but keep this hand away from everything else, dont touch anything, next wash it with small bottle of alcohol-based sanitizer when it is appropriate.

#22 March 12 2020

Ya like jazz

Anyone craving to eat the skin around their nails?

#23 March 12 2020

nuclearcat

Ya like jazz wrote:

What about brass/copper door handles, always heard that they are self disinfecting.

Not true.

#24 March 13 2020

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

Not true.

Disinfecting is a strong word but I also read that bacteria survive much less on copper compared to stainless steel.

#25 March 13 2020

Tech Guru

With a all measures being taken , there is also a probability that a coronavirus can enter our respiratory system. Measures I am taking to mimimize the risk:

1st:
Leaving my mouth and throat moisturized all the day ( drinking water and liquids in a frequent manner). The virus when it enters it doesnot enter the lungs directly , water and liquids will flush out the mouth and throat area towards the stomach. The stomach acid will kill any virus /  bacteria.

2nd:
Taking a morning deep breath and holding it for 10 seconds to spot any fatique in the lower lungs (  cough ,  stiffness ,  discomfort , tightness ...) This may indicate if any lungs fibrosis exists

3rd:
Taking my body temperature daily

4th:
High Body Temoerature +  Fail of Breath Test ( Possibility of Lung Fibrosis) =  I will self take the RT-PCR corona diagnosting blood test at AUBMC

5th:
Drinking and eating food that boost the immunity system such as:
+Fresh Juice ( Orange)
+Vitamine C Tablets 1000mg (Ester C is Good)
+Crushing and eating raw garlic
+Spoon of Genuine Honey

6th:
Doing sports (Minimum) 30 min per day on daily bases

7th:
Using Dettol disinfectant spray

8th:
Using an N95 respirator mask ( ordered some from Amaozn - M3 is a reliable brand) , wearing it in congested places.

9th:
Exposing all wahsed cloths to dry in the direct sun light ( I live on the 7th floor with a large balcony and sufficient sun exposure). Sun a a natural quarinator. Frequent cloths washing ( after each work day ).

Finally, leaving it to GOD without over reacting and living in fear ,  we are all destined to die at the end. With coronavirus or without ,  different ways one destiny. Doing my daily activities like normal days ( I have a government post now and we are closed till Monday).

Edit: Paid Leave is aproved by the Government until 31/3/2020- edit of this month.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 14 2020)

Board footer