LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 March 13 2020

nuclearcat

Re: Self-Quarantine: How are you managing in Lebanon?

Don't abuse high doses of vitamin C unless its necessary. They make kidneys issues, starting from stones.

Most efficient is alcohol-based disinfectants. Dettol might be inefficient against this specific virus (they are different composition).

#27 March 13 2020

VincentKeyboard

I think some people are overreacting. My boss used to type letters on my computer while recharging his. Now he won't touch it anymore. He also washes his hands every 15 minutes. He actually set an alarm on his phone for it.

Personally, I am more or less safe as I only interact with the same limited number of people every day. But I am leaving it to God.

#28 March 13 2020

Adnan

My friend  got a 7 days holiday from work.

Today we were told to pack our stuff and start working from home until further notice

#29 March 14 2020

xazbrat

Tech Guru wrote:

With a all measures being taken , there is also a probability that a coronavirus can enter our respiratory system. Measures I am taking to mimimize the risk:

1st:
Leaving my mouth and throat moisturized all the day ( drinking water and liquids in a frequent manner). The virus when it enters it doesnot enter the lungs directly , water and liquids will flush out the mouth and throat area towards the stomach. The stomach acid will kill any virus /  bacteria.

2nd:
Taking a morning deep breath and holding it for 10 seconds to spot any fatique in the lower lungs (  cough ,  stiffness ,  discomfort , tightness ...) This may indicate if any lungs fibrosis exists

3rd:
Taking my body temperature daily

4th:
High Body Temoerature +  Fail of Breath Test ( Possibility of Lung Fibrosis) =  I will self take the RT-PCR corona diagnosting blood test at AUBMC

5th:
Drinking and eating food that boost the immunity system such as:
+Fresh Juice ( Orange)
+Vitamine C Tablets 1000mg (Ester C is Good)
+Crushing and eating raw garlic
+Spoon of Genuine Honey

6th:
Doing sports (Minimum) 30 min per day on daily bases

7th:
Using Dettol disinfectant spray

8th:
Using an N95 respirator mask ( ordered some from Amaozn - M3 is a reliable brand) , wearing it in congested places.

9th:
Exposing all wahsed cloths to dry in the direct sun light ( I live on the 7th floor with a large balcony and sufficient sun exposure). Sun a a natural quarinator. Frequent cloths washing ( after each work day ).

Finally, leaving it to GOD without over reacting and living in fear ,  we are all destined to die at the end. With coronavirus or without ,  different ways one destiny. Doing my daily activities like normal days ( I have a government post now and we are closed till Monday).

Edit: Paid Leave is aproved by the Government until 31/3/2020- edit of this month.

You don't have to go nuts.  It is good to keep healthy and get your vitamins, but not sure about the honey and garlic, but to each their own.  You didn't include probably the most important thing--getting enough sleep.  No matter what you are taking to boost your immune system, not getting enough sleep will put you more at risk. 

Also, if you want to make your own hand sanitizer (super easy), 2 parts as close to 100% alcohol as you can find, and 1 part aloe vera gel or something similar.  Mix until blended well and put in containers of choice. You can add a few drops something like 'mazaher' or 'mawared' to change the smell

And some other articles of interest.

Soap
what its like

#30 March 16 2020

Johnaudi

Being home for a few days now working as a freelancer. I just got sent some money via MoneyGram, any ideas if there is somewhere still open today that I can cash out USD from?

#31 March 19 2020

Tech Guru

Things are flipping towards a negative outlook. 149 Registered cases & confirmed so far by the Ministry of Health. Many others maybe holding the virus without accurate clinical confirmation (Doing the PCR test). The Minister of Health ordered today to isolate the areas of Jbeil , Keserwan and maybe later Ibaabda. I think we entered the danger zone , and iam afraid to reach the Italian crises now ( 400+ deaths per day).

Lebanon economic condition will stress people more too.  Other countries are giving citizen allowances , free rents , ... We are far away here to reach that due to the current economic stagnation  .. added to the home quarantine zone.

#BeSafe

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 19 2020)

#32 March 21 2020

kareem_nasser

10-Minute at Home Workout

Feel free to share a workout you are currently doing as part of your daily routine.

#33 March 22 2020

Kareem

IMO the virus is going to hit us sooner or later.... I'm being cautious but until a vaccine is available, the outlook is bad.

#34 March 22 2020

Tech Guru

I knew things are going to slip and it will slip more. Simply many here are underestimating  and being reckless about the seriousness of the corona virus. Thankful all the measures I have been taken donot fall in "going nuts". The Italian crises can be taken here is a raw model , but rackless people here & there are doing wedding , opening gaming lounges in a secret way , public prayers  etc..

As a side note,  470 PetaFLOPS of raw compute  power - the idea is  consists of using your computer to complete small chunks of much larger problems, thus giving researchers access to an unprecedented amount of compute horsepower. Mainly geaphic cards are the back  bone of heavy computes (like bitcoin mining). 467PetaFlops = 467,000 TeraFlops.

Super data mining working togather each from his Nvidia card from home.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/foldi … s-covid-19

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 22 2020)

#35 March 22 2020

rolf

I believe in testing. This illness has a long incubation period and there are reports of asymptomatic transmission so we can fight it most efficiently by doing testing so that the healthy ones can keep things going and the sick ones can isolate and heal.

I mean at least we need to know where the virus is spreading so that we can concentrate our efforts and resources efficiently.

Last edited by rolf (March 22 2020)

#36 March 22 2020

rolf

Tech Guru wrote:

Things are flipping towards a negative outlook. 149 Registered cases & confirmed so far by the Ministry of Health.
#BeSafe

I believe that once this is done 20% of the population would have been infected, I estimate that it will start to end in 3 months. I estimate that by then we will have 2500 to 10000 deaths in Lebanon.

The number of cases is not very reliable because AFAIK they are not doing wide testing in Lebanon so the number you see are just people who are very sick and go to the hospital and are tested. I would guess there are at least 400 cases in Lebanon, in reality.

These are very rough preliminary estimations based on what happened in other places...

Last edited by rolf (March 22 2020)

#37 March 22 2020

Xsever

#38 March 22 2020

Tech Guru

rolf wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Things are flipping towards a negative outlook. 149 Registered cases & confirmed so far by the Ministry of Health.
#BeSafe

I believe that once this is done 20% of the population would have been infected, I estimate that it will start to end in 3 months. I estimate that by then we will have 2500 to 10000 deaths in Lebanon.

The number of cases is not very reliable because AFAIK they are not doing wide testing in Lebanon so the number you see are just people who are very sick and go to the hospital and are tested. I would guess there are at least 400 cases in Lebanon, in reality.

These are very rough preliminary estimations based on what happened in other places...

I agree , however there are masked cases no one is exposing / registering it. Only two official sources registering the cases:

Ministry of Health & Rafiq Harriri Government Hospital.

The Reckless Approach that has been followed will  get things  worser:

First,  taking only the temperature of arriving passengers from infected areas. Knowing that the virus incubation period is  7-21Days for symptoms to appear.

Second, taking very easy/careless mesaures for people on religious purpose visits ( mainly from Iran / Italy) as if they have a divine protection / passport.

Third,  the illegal routes of the Lebanese-Syrian borders unsurvellied always. Points of border at Masaa & Abudieh no tough measures.

Point here there mare many crackes for the virus to boom here , which is the case now. Many donot have at all any somatic symptoms ( strong immune system) yet holding the virus & infecting others. Some who are actually infected are not reporting their cases even.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 23 2020)

#39 March 22 2020

Tech Guru

#Hydroxychloroquine (Dolquine) & #Azithromycin Alert:

To all  following the latest updates for #Covid_19 treatment don’t take Hydroxychloroquine (Dolquine) & Azithromycin without medical prescription, both drugs affect the QT interval and lead to serious cardiovascular effect(arrythmia, death).

Still not validated even the story began last week in the USA by using an anti - malaria medicine but the pool of patient being tested on was low. Further testing on larger scale is being taken.

20200322-121342.jpg
20200322-121326.jpg
IMG-20200322-WA0036.jpg

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 22 2020)

#40 March 22 2020

duke-of-bytes

Stay home

#41 March 23 2020

Tech Guru

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Stay home

Stay home will not will be totally applicable here. Remember we are a 30 years robbed country from warlords authority .. I will not repeat the long story we all know.

Before Corona:
40 % Loss of the LBP Purchasing Power
Inflation
Capital Control
Private Secotor many lay offs / salaries cut by half ...
Poverty Increased

In Corona:
No backup plans to help people bear staying at home without any financial support , increasing more the  financial stress they are already in.

Private Sectors & Free Professions took the final K.O.

After Corona:
..... Walking Dead Syndrome.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 23 2020)

#42 March 23 2020

xazbrat

I think 20% of the population being infected is a low number---an official in Spain said that 80% of the population of Madrid] stands to be infected.  Considering Beirut and the surrounding areas is close to 2 million people, that might inflate to 1,5 million people, just in and around Beirut.  I realize this is a worst case scenario without a reliable cure or vaccine anytime soon, but still pretty sobering.

Stay home, stay away from people and wash your hands.  Not much else to do.

#43 March 23 2020

Johnaudi

Tech Guru wrote:

In Corona:
No backup plans to help people bear staying at home without any financial support , increasing more the  financial stress they are alreasy in.

Private Sectors & Free Professions took the final K.O.

Although I do not endorse the current government nor ministry, I think they are doing their best (knowing that they won't call '7alit tawari2' for political reasons)
The health minister is being as professional as ever, and is trying to make things work although his political allies are not giving him full consensus.

It's very sad seeing actual potential to do something within a pandemic being thrown to waste...

Nevertheless, regarding this thread, I'm spending my time learning new stuff in the programming industry, freelancing and learning German :)

Last edited by Johnaudi (March 23 2020)

#44 March 23 2020

NuclearVision

I know this is a quarantine thread but anyone has any idea if western union agents are open? I need to send someone abroad money to prevent a service from shutting down, seen the current banks problem

#45 March 23 2020

NuclearVision

also feel free to ask me any questions, I'm in the medical field, i'll try my best to help.

#46 March 23 2020

TheIlluminative

NuclearVision wrote:

I know this is a quarantine thread but anyone has any idea if western union agents are open? I need to send someone abroad money to prevent a service from shutting down, seen the current banks problem

Yes they are, but most of them till 2PM tough.

#47 March 23 2020

Johnaudi

NuclearVision wrote:

also feel free to ask me any questions, I'm in the medical field, i'll try my best to help.

Are you optimistic about the hydroxychloroquine resolution?
I kind of am (out of despair).

#48 March 24 2020

xazbrat

Johnaudi wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Are you optimistic about the hydroxychloroquine resolution?
I kind of am (out of despair).

Ignore what President Trump and Elon Musk said and wait until you hear real research that is being done.  And sometimes, the cure can be worse than the disease.  There are other drugs being tested, until then, we just have to be patient and not rush to buy something which puts other people who actually NEED the drug at risk.

(don't be those guys)

#49 March 24 2020

Johnaudi

xazbrat wrote:

Ignore what President Trump and Elon Musk said and wait until you hear real research that is being done.  And sometimes, the cure can be worse than the disease.  There are other drugs being tested, until then, we just have to be patient and not rush to buy something which puts other people who actually NEED the drug at risk.

(don't be those guys)

I'm not following to purchase the cure in case I'm not infected; I'm just wondering whether what he said is possible. Clinical trials start on the 24th of March, assuming it takes 3-5 days to cure a patient with the treatment given, the official answer should come out quite soon.
Being just bummed out as I've started self-isolation a week before MTV even announced it. (A relative has potential heart disease)
I got approved for a summer internship in Germany and worried they wouldn't be managing to open the airports anytime soon...

#50 March 24 2020

rolf

Johnaudi wrote:

I got approved for a summer internship in Germany and worried they wouldn't be managing to open the airports anytime soon...

Yes, I'm afraid this will have to be a winter internship.

Board footer