LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#526 December 30 2019

Johnaudi

Re: Lebanese lira to USD exchange

Not necessarily inflation, but the country wasn't technically ready to shift its whole economy towards LBP under a month, causing shortages in the LBP bills.
I think everything will be clear in the next two weeks.

#527 January 2 2020

infiniteloop

Do you think buying Bitcoins is a good bet or it's on the decline?
BTW can you just buy online using an app?

#528 January 2 2020

Johnaudi

infiniteloop wrote:

Do you think buying Bitcoins is a good bet or it's on the decline?
BTW can you just buy online using an app?

It's cheaper to buy from a local dealer.
It's always a good bet to purchase bitcoin for the long run, but keep in mind you should not touch your crypto for a while (even when you feel it's a decline)

#529 January 2 2020

infiniteloop

You can sell them for cash outside Lebanon?

#530 January 3 2020

AVOlio

Fransabank has stopped all exchanges from lbp to usd, I want to cover my usd credit card payments with my lbp account, they're not letting me.

Anyone has any positive experience currently with another bank regarding covering usd credit card payments with lbp account?

Im thinking of closing my account with them.

#531 January 3 2020

Guitaret

All banks currently will not accept paying your dept in LL if you have a USD account.

#532 January 3 2020

Kazouza

AVOlio wrote:

Fransabank has stopped all exchanges from lbp to usd, I want to cover my usd credit card payments with my lbp account, they're not letting me.

Anyone has any positive experience currently with another bank regarding covering usd credit card payments with lbp account?

Im thinking of closing my account with them.

Same thing has been implemented 2 days ago at Bank Beirut. You can only cover 5% of your USD credit card payments with your LBP account.

Last edited by Kazouza (January 3 2020)

#533 January 3 2020

AVOlio

Yea that 5% or 25$ minimum that the system automatically takes from your lbp account on the end of the billing cycle.

Other than that, they're not letting me cover any payments.

#534 January 3 2020

sero

Few weeks ago i paid my Bank Audi USD credit card fully with LBP.
Does this mean from now on i won't be able to do that?
is the 5% per month? so i can keep paying 5% until i pay the full amount?
Won't i be penalized for not paying the credit card for the rest of the amount each month?

Or is it, 5% LBP and the 95% should be in USD.
any workarounds in this case?

Last edited by sero (January 3 2020)

#535 January 3 2020

Xsever

AVOlio wrote:

Yea that 5% or 25$ minimum that the system automatically takes from your lbp account on the end of the billing cycle.

Other than that, they're not letting me cover any payments.

I have a USD account and a USD credit card with Fransabank. I usually pay my credit card using the app, but since I was at the bank, I asked the teller to transfer the amount owing from the USD account to the credit card. The teller told me that is not possible; only the 5% automatic payment was allowed.

I found this absurd since I have the money in my account and they cannot not let me pay the credit card statement and then start charging me interest for it.

I met with the branch manager and she had me do the transfer via the app and it worked. The only limitation is that only $999 can be transferred per day. Since the amount was higher than $1,000. I transferred $999 on day 1 and the rest on day 2. No issues.

TLDR: For US accounts and credit cards, you can transfer $999 per day using the app.

#536 January 3 2020

AVOlio

@sero
Yea, the system will automatically withdraw 5% (or in my case minimum amount of 25$) out of my current account to cover my payments.
The remaining will stay there and I cannot pay them with lbp.
You won't be penalized, you'd just keep paying interest on the remaining amount until that 5% (25$) closes the entire amount eventually.

@Xsever
Yes, they told me that I can pay them from a USD account or if I have USD cash, but to pay USD cc payment with LBP impossible!
("even if I speak with God to make it happen, it won't" quote from the person that I usually deal with in fransabank).
Using the app, I tried transferring from lbp account to the card, it's not working, error message is you have exceeded the transfer limit per day, I guess this is how they are blocking us from making transfer by setting the transfer limit to 0.

Tried transferring it from a usd account (that has 0$) to the credit card, I assume this would have worked if I had funds in the account because the error message said insufficient funds.

So usd to usd works online and in person.
LBP to usd works neither online nor in person.

This is simply a freaking move to gain interest from tens of thousands of customers.

I talked with the financial department at work today, I told them that I want to close my account with fransabank and I don't want to deal with them anymore ( they're the ones who gave us the choice between 2 banks to domicilate our salaries, fransabank and BOB, but I have a feeling Bob is far worse) and that I want to take my salary cash from now on.

So I guess we should really cut our online purchases in US dollars from now if we really do not have any US currency to cover them.

#537 January 3 2020

Xsever

AVOlio wrote:

@sero
@Xsever
Using the app, I tried transferring from lbp account to the card, it's not working, error message is you have exceeded the transfer limit per day, I guess this is how they are blocking us from making transfer by setting the transfer limit to 0.

I was getting the same error when I was putting an amount greater than $1,000. Use a smaller amount; like 100,000 LBP and let's see if it works. Apparently, the daily transfer limit was $1,000.

#538 January 3 2020

infiniteloop

Can you buy using LL debit card on amazon and aliexpress?
I only have esurf which is linked to my USD account, my BOB LL debit card is not working online at all even with Cyberia and Alfa recharge but they have a dedicated internet card like esurf at BOB
Also as long as officially the $ is at 1510LL our salaries won't see any increase but once it goes official that it's like 1800LL I think they will be obliged to raise the salaries in LL to match the job contract if it was made based on $

Last edited by infiniteloop (January 3 2020)

#539 January 3 2020

AVOlio

Xsever wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

@sero
@Xsever

I was getting the same error when I was putting an amount greater than $1,000. Use a smaller amount; like 100,000 LBP and let's see if it works. Apparently, the daily transfer limit was $1,000.

Im getting the same message even if I transfer 1,000 LBP.
This is their way of blocking exchange transfers.

#540 January 5 2020

Kareem

infiniteloop wrote:

I only have esurf which is linked to my USD account, my BOB LL debit card is not working online at all even with Cyberia and Alfa recharge but they have a dedicated internet card like esurf at BOB
Also as long as officially the $ is at 1510LL our salaries won't see any increase but once it goes official that it's like 1800LL I think they will be obliged to raise the salaries in LL to match the job contract if it was made based on $

No, a debit card doesn't work online. I have BoB debit and credit card. They switched the debit card to LBP and the credit card is still in USD.

I'm glad they didn't lower the limit which is a good sign unlike BLOM.

FYI BLOM started the minimum payment in LBP a month ago. LBP cards WILL NOT work abroad.

They also blocked all forex transactions online ( all banks )

Last edited by Kareem (January 5 2020)

#541 January 5 2020

AVOlio

Supposedly, my lbp debit card in fransabank works abroad.
I can purchase 100$ maximum online per month.
But I didn't try it yet.

#542 January 5 2020

infiniteloop

Kareem wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

No, a debit card doesn't work online. I have BoB debit and credit card. They switched the debit card to LBP and the credit card is still in USD.

FYI BLOM started the minimum payment in LBP a month ago. LBP cards WILL NOT work abroad.

What about the SKIP Internet Card from BOB? Can you link it to your LL account?

#543 January 9 2020

nosense

anyone able to upload money to skrill or neteller ? seems like they blocked them

#544 January 9 2020

Hybrid

nosense wrote:

anyone able to upload money to skrill or neteller ? seems like they blocked them

Blocked a while back

#545 January 9 2020

specility

infiniteloop wrote:

I have an audi debit card in LL. It seems to work normally on aliexpress. My highest recent purchase is 30$ (1$ = 1510LL) so i dont know about the limit

#546 January 9 2020

AVOlio

specility wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

I have an audi debit card in LL. It seems to work normally on aliexpress. My highest recent purchase is 30$ (1$ = 1510LL) so i dont know about the limit

Go check in the Card's description document, maybe you can find it in the website.
Or simply ask the call center.

I am curious to know.
My limit in your same situation is 100$ / month, Fransabank.

#547 January 9 2020

nosense

Hybrid wrote:
nosense wrote:

Blocked a while back

are there any other options?

Last edited by nosense (January 9 2020)

#548 January 9 2020

Kareem

infiniteloop wrote:
Kareem wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

What about the SKIP Internet Card from BOB? Can you link it to your LL account?

I have no idea about SKIP card but I know that the rate is 2500 as of now

#549 January 9 2020

rolf

Buy and sell bitcoins??

#550 January 10 2020

vengeance666

I highly doubt this whole thing is based on actual offer and demand. Exchanges are literally spitting out random numbers to take advantage of the situation under the cover of "offer and demand".

Board footer