LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 22 2018

fsf86

Has anyone tried remote jobs?

Hey geeks,

Remote jobs: working from Lebanon for companies in the US or EU.

Has anyone tried it? Is it even applicable? If so, how does it apply in terms of taxes for example?

Cheers

#2 September 22 2018

rolf

Re: Has anyone tried remote jobs?

I think you can get paid through payoneer.
Give it a try and let us know.
One of the obstacles might be the timezone difference for US jobs.

Last edited by rolf (September 22 2018)

#3 September 25 2018

NoReGreT

I have worked for two companies remotely for around 5 years. It is certainly applicable, and depends on the kind of job you're looking for. Not everything can be done remotely.

No income taxes apply since, afaik, income you get from outside Lebanon while living in the country is not taxed. I did not pay taxes.

You get paid by a bank wire transfer to your local bank. Of course the bank will need some evidence that you work for a valid company, so showing them a contract will suffice.

#4 September 25 2018

fsf86

Thanks, good to know. I'm considering a remote job in software engineering, so I guess it is applicable remotely.

#5 October 8 2018

rolf

I did a quick research. Apparently yes you can work remotely for a US company, and you don't need a visa and not even to pay taxes.

Other sources mention that you would work as a contractor and would need to send invoices as a company.

Obviously you will
- Not benefit from any US benefits such as employment protection, social security, etc.
- Reside abroad and do all your work from abroad.

It means that, in practice, the nature of the work very close to contracting.

If you are interested, maybe check out upwork.com, it looks like an easy start.

On job boards (indeed, monster, etc.) Many of the advertised "remote jobs" require applicants to be based in US or Canada. Others don't mention anything, so I guess it's worth asking.

Last edited by rolf (October 8 2018)

#6 October 8 2018

fsf86

Thanks for your extensive reply. I have started applying a few days ago a few companies have reached out so far. Let's see how it goes.

I'm using websites that are focused more on remote.
Here's a list of them https://skillcrush.com/2014/10/10/sites … mote-work/

BTW I read that it's OK to apply even if they mention that it's exclusive for US/Canada/Europe residents.
If you have the skills they will consider you.

Board footer