LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 23 2017

Tech Guru

Are the UPS Batteries Replaceable

Are the UPS batteries replaceable , I have a have duty ups - it seems it served its duty ( 7 years of consecutive operation)  , when the electricity is shut off the desktop shutoff too but its avr is still working while the electricity is on. Shall I bring a brand new one or replace its batteries.

I have all linked to it:

High End Gaming Desktop with a 850w PSU ( 80Plus Gold Certified)
Monitor

Asus ADSL Rourter / Modem

UPS is 1200 VA.

#2 December 23 2017

nuclearcat

Re: Are the UPS Batteries Replaceable

most UPS batteries is replaceable, but some don't accept 3rd party batteries

#3 December 23 2017

Aly

What’s the UPS brand ? They are most likely replaceable, pcandparts has battery replacement btw.

#4 December 23 2017

Xsever

PCE Lebanon in Dora also replaces UPS batteries.

#5 December 25 2017

Tech Guru

jk02hZy.jpg

Mission Accomplished , 36000 LBP two batteries , and I replaced them my self ; better than paying 140 usd for a good 1200 VA UPS as this UPS

#6 January 6 2018

thegodfatherdany

Tech Guru wrote:

Mission Accomplished , 36000 LBP two batteries , and I replaced them my self ; better than paying 140 usd for a good 1200 VA UPS as this UPS

Hi there. Do you have information regarding choosing the correct battery? I asked around and was told all are 12V batteries but some are 7Ah and some 9Ah.

My question is if i have a 1200VA (2battery) or 1500VA (2battery of course) broken UPS, do i get the same batteries for both UPSs?
Also where did you get your batteries from? Macrocity has the PCE12V 7Ah battery for 16.7$ and PCE9Ah for 26.6$ including VAT.

#7 January 19 2018

AVOlio

Same sort of question here,
My ups consists of 4 batteries of 7A.
Thing is u already own 2 new 9A ones, and I don't want to buy 4 new 7A ones.
So is it safe if I buy 2 new 9A ones and replace the batteries of the ups with 4 9As?

#8 February 11 2018

mesa177

thegodfatherdany wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Hi there. Do you have information regarding choosing the correct battery? I asked around and was told all are 12V batteries but some are 7Ah and some 9Ah.

My question is if i have a 1200VA (2battery) or 1500VA (2battery of course) broken UPS, do i get the same batteries for both UPSs?
Also where did you get your batteries from? Macrocity has the PCE12V 7Ah battery for 16.7$ and PCE9Ah for 26.6$ including VAT.

As long as the voltage rating is the same, and the current rating is the same (you either hook all 7 Ah or all 9Ah batteries, don't ever mix them when placed in series), it's ok to use either batteries. But there will be compromises and trade-offs in specific cases:

- when using a set of 12VDC 7Ah batteries to replace 12VDC 9Ah, you lose 2Ah: your UPS loses the capacity to provide appropriate current within 1 hour (2A to be specific). This move is not recommended mostly since your setup will mostly be needing that 9A/hr.

- when using a set of 12VDC 9Ah batteries to replace 12VDC 7Ah, you gain 2Ah but charging time for the batteries increases by at least 30min. This is an ok tradeoff for most UPSes, but some don't allow you to change the nominal voltage and current ratings for the batteries and will sound off an alarm for that. so best consult a user manual for that before buying and installing them.

#9 February 11 2018

mesa177

AVOlio wrote:

Same sort of question here,
My ups consists of 4 batteries of 7A.
Thing is u already own 2 new 9A ones, and I don't want to buy 4 new 7A ones.
So is it safe if I buy 2 new 9A ones and replace the batteries of the ups with 4 9As?

check my answer above for more details, but getting 2 extra 12VDC 9Ah batteries should be fine as long as you are 100% sure your other batteries as still good (storing batteries while being fully charged decreases the life cycle of the batteries, hope you depleted or at least discharged half of it's current capacity before placing them aside; humidity also shortens the shelf life of batteries).

#10 February 11 2018

mesa177

Pro tip: pay attention to the brand of the batteries before you buy them. E.K.T has HW and BigBat, both ok brands but require change every 3 years. The best on the market are the original Yuasa batteries (best life cycle amongst all), but generally require change after 7 to 10 years of consumption (depending on regular use). They are also the most expensive on the market. Is it worth the price tag? Absolutely.

#11 February 11 2018

nuclearcat

It depends also on UPS. If you have crappy UPS that dont have 3-stage decent charger, you will flush your money in the toilet buying yuasa batteries for it.

Board footer