LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 22 2017

Toufic

Where to buy self defense tools ?

Hello;

Anyone can recommend a well trusted place in terms of quality and reliability for :

1) Taser (preferably carry on and medium size but efficient)
2) Pepper spray
3) Brace knuckles

Given last week's incident, i want to get one for my sister and a really close friend.

Thank you !

#2 December 23 2017

rolf

Re: Where to buy self defense tools ?

Are you referring to the sad story of the UK woman who was murdered?

#3 December 24 2017

Toufic

rolf wrote:

Are you referring to the sad story of the UK woman who was murdered?

Yes i am... as a matter of fact a very close relative of mine was her co worker and i'm dealing with her PTSD like symptoms since the incident took place...
And man the details they haven't told the media are way too disgusting than anyone could imagine

Anyway... I was told "Karrout" in southern suburbs might have some of items.. anyone can confirm ?
And there is a place between Dawra and City mall but they don't disclose the items unless they really "know you" so if i just go there they might deny having them

#4 December 24 2017

rolf

Toufic wrote:

And man the details they haven't told the media are way too disgusting than anyone could imagine

I have heard enough, really.
You have a difficult job!

By the way, most people know that Uber would track you and have a record of everything. How did he think he was going to get away, or did he just want to get caught?

I will ask and let you know.

You might also want to consider self-defense lessons, especially with the brass knuckles.

#5 December 24 2017

Toufic

rolf wrote:
Toufic wrote:

I have heard enough, really.
You have a difficult job!

By the way, most people know that Uber would track you and have a record of everything. How did he think he was going to get away, or did he just want to get caught?

I will ask and let you know.

You might also want to consider self-defense lessons, especially with the brass knuckles.

Self defense lessons for sure... already know a couple of friends who will be enrolling in those beginning of January 2018. But with certain physics and situations, only a weapon can save you from assault/rape

Thanks mate... much appreciated

#6 December 24 2017

nuclearcat

About self-defense tools, unfortunately i believe in such situation they will give fake illusion of safety and ladies might get in worse situations, than if they dont feel safe. When i was a teenager, my country was at times, when crime was overflowing it, so i and my relatives have a lot of experience on this subject.
Also many people took tools, thought it will make them more safe, but in most situations tools was taken from them and used against them.
Spray is very difficult to use, because you might incapacitate yourself because of wind or spraying wrong direction. They dont affect also people influenced by drugs.
Brace knuckles need training and strength to use them.
Tazer might not work over thick clothe, but might work against lady in very thin clothes. Again, you need to be trained, to know where and how to use them. Usually after you use tazer, you need to incapacitate person by other means (handcuffs, etc).
Most real one - self-defense lessons, and small knife. But knife may lead to very dangerous consequences. Or you might kill attacker and get sentenced, or he will kill you, by your knife.

Another thing, imagine with false sense of safety lady get to taxi, he drive to some abandoned place, and even she will use this self-defense tools, its too far to run to some people, sooner or later he will catch her again.
If country are plunging in medieval era, good to remember rules of medieval era - always travel with someone with you, and use known, safe services at night.

Uber known in many countries (including exUSSR, where i lived for long time) for being very unsafe, as they carelessly taking drivers who was not verified to provide service.
Their license in UK was almost revoked, because they have many bad incidents and they acted carelessly in this cases. You can read about cases in India as well.
Many people go to Uber, because they have illusion that like traditional taxi service, someone in such company care about reputation, but all that Uber does - seems only money.
But in fact what is happening, when they take over market, they make taxi driver to work for pennies, which leave on market worst ones only, who cannot earn money any other way.

And stay safe everybody.

#7 December 24 2017

Toufic

nuclearcat wrote:

About self-defense tools, unfortunately i believe in such situation they will give fake illusion of safety and ladies might get in worse situations, than if they dont feel safe. When i was a teenager, my country was at times, when crime was overflowing it, so i and my relatives have a lot of experience on this subject.
Also many people took tools, thought it will make them more safe, but in most situations tools was taken from them and used against them.
Spray is very difficult to use, because you might incapacitate yourself because of wind or spraying wrong direction. They dont affect also people influenced by drugs.
Brace knuckles need training and strength to use them.
Tazer might not work over thick clothe, but might work against lady in very thin clothes. Again, you need to be trained, to know where and how to use them. Usually after you use tazer, you need to incapacitate person by other means (handcuffs, etc).
Most real one - self-defense lessons, and small knife. But knife may lead to very dangerous consequences. Or you might kill attacker and get sentenced, or he will kill you, by your knife.

Another thing, imagine with false sense of safety lady get to taxi, he drive to some abandoned place, and even she will use this self-defense tools, its too far to run to some people, sooner or later he will catch her again.
If country are plunging in medieval era, good to remember rules of medieval era - always travel with someone with you, and use known, safe services at night.

Uber known in many countries (including exUSSR, where i lived for long time) for being very unsafe, as they carelessly taking drivers who was not verified to provide service.
Their license in UK was almost revoked, because they have many bad incidents and they acted carelessly in this cases. You can read about cases in India as well.
Many people go to Uber, because they have illusion that like traditional taxi service, someone in such company care about reputation, but all that Uber does - seems only money
But in fact what is happening, when they take over market, they make taxi driver to work for pennies, which leave on market worst ones only, who cannot earn money any other way.

And stay safe everybody.

Thanks for the feedback... i got to say, the rational is spot on... convinced me !

I believe similar cases qualify for exemption from the law that would usually end up in sentence/jail time.

However, i still think that with a weapon in hand given a situation of assault, the probability of defending yourself against someone is better than without the weapon

The risk of the attacker using the weapon on the victim of an attack or worst, the victim end up hurting themselves is inevitability there.
Nonetheless, having a 1% chance is better than not having any at all

(if you'd ask any survivor, they'd surely have wished to have some kind of weapon on them)

Thanks again, i already found a couple of people who provide self defense - private classes for women and it's definitely the most reasonable/efficient way to go (then comes the weapons/self defense tools)

Stay safe & happy holidays

#8 December 28 2017

beezer

What nuclearcat said is correct and based on factual evidence, improper training with the self defense tools will only cause the attacker to overtake the victim and use them against them. This even involves a pistol, if you don't train and learn proper use, it is useless. After shooting hundreds of rounds, I can barely hit a moving target at 10m. I totally get how they miss in movies now :)

To get started, you can 3d printer a rape whistle, it is very loud and will cause a lot of people to turn around and also cause those near by to cover their ears (attacker) giving you that split second to get away. As for the other items, they're available in Bekaa, if you ever wanna make the drive, let me know, but I don't suggest it. A good class like you're willing to take will give you and your friends what you need.

Finally, if you're interested in really feeling safe, a good trained Belgian Malinois, or German Shepherd are all that you need. Can also help with that as well, but they are a 10 year commitment and will run you around $2,500 to start or around $500 if you wanna do it yourself (around 4 months of training at home to have them fully obedient)

Board footer