LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 16 2017

Makozak

What is Interleaving and is it worth it

I've been told to Tweet Ogero for a better Ping.
I didn't know if it was possible but I did it anyway. I got the answer today and they said that it is indeed possible by disabling Interleaving on my line. I asked them what does it do apart from lower the ping, they just said that it will " make your speed slower ".

I don't think that's a good description (Or I might be stupid, I don't know), but as the title says, what is Interleaving and is it worth it to turn off for a better ping ?

EDIT :

I forgot to mention that I currently have a 2mbps unlimited bundle in case that's useful.

Last edited by Makozak (November 16 2017)

#2 November 16 2017

dio

Re: What is Interleaving and is it worth it

I don't know how slower it will make your connection, but it will probably make it a little less stable.

If you are an avid gamer, i highly recommend doing it, otherwise don't. If you care about the difference between 120ms and 64ms, then go for it.

#3 November 16 2017

anayman_k7

Personally my house is far from the Central of Ogero, I currently get around 8 to 10Mbps on OpenSpeed, I'm afraid to have he Interleaving off because of Bandwidth and stability drop, so I'm fine now with the 110-ish MS ping to Europe

#4 November 16 2017

dio

I currently get around 14mb/s at home in Hamra, when I requested that my Interleaving be off, it honestly didn't affect the speed, or the stability. It really depends on the noise/interference of your phone line.

You could try it, just ask them to do it, if you don't like it, tell them to turn it back on. No biggie.

#5 November 16 2017

anayman_k7

Yeah I could but I have concerns about IDM customer support, 11 days till today and they did not enable Open Speed for my parents even that the plan has switched, they blame Ogero for that, I call them daily to put pressure on them.

#6 November 16 2017

DG

Makozak, you need to check your line stats, more specifically the modem uptime along with the number of CRC, HEC and FEC errors while Interleaved is ON. This will help you decide if it's worth turning Interleaved OFF.

It's worth nothing that you will only get FEC errors when Interleaved is turned ON. FEC stands for "Forward Error Correction" which means most packets that have errors can be corrected at the receiving end without the need for them to be re-transmitted.

Most of these FEC errors will become CRC and HEC errors when Interleaved is turned OFF. So if you have a lot of FEC errors to start with, I'd be cautious about turning Interleaved OFF.

I don't think having Interleaved ON or OFF makes a noticeable difference in connection speed unless you have a lot of errors which will mean the unsuccessful packets will have to be re-transmitted once you are on FAST PATH (aka Interleaved OFF).

#7 November 17 2017

nefe_lpmk

DG wrote:

Makozak, you need to check your line stats, more specifically the modem uptime along with the number of CRC, HEC and FEC errors while Interleaved is ON. This will help you decide if it's worth turning Interleaved OFF.

It's worth nothing that you will only get FEC errors when Interleaved is turned ON. FEC stands for "Forward Error Correction" which means most packets that have errors can be corrected at the receiving end without the need for them to be re-transmitted.

Most of these FEC errors will become CRC and HEC errors when Interleaved is turned OFF. So if you have a lot of FEC errors to start with, I'd be cautious about turning Interleaved OFF.

I don't think having Interleaved ON or OFF makes a noticeable difference in connection speed unless you have a lot of errors which will mean the unsuccessful packets will have to be re-transmitted once you are on FAST PATH (aka Interleaved OFF).

How much you think is on ok number on FEC CRC and HEC to consider going fast-path?

#8 November 17 2017

DG

I am not sure but I wouldn't personally switch to Fast Path if the number of FEC errors was in the hundreds, let alone thousands or even millions per hour of modem uptime.
That's not to say it won't work but it would probably lead to a lot of disconnections or, at the very least, a drop in usable bandwidth as a lot of the packets would have to be re-transmitted.
Lowering latency is great but I think connection stability is way more important for gamers. Last thing you want is to get disconnected or logged out while playing a game like WoW, CS or anything else online.

Board footer