LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 23 2017

beezer

No Internet After Midnight

Okay so my phone line has electricity going through it when the countries power is on. I've complained and they've come and they finally admitted that it's because there are poles missing and so they used power line poles on two parts and that's where it's from. No problem, gave up trying to fix that.

The new problem is recently after midnight I get no internet at all. Not even DSL light on the modern, after half a dozen unplugs and plugs I eventually get DSL light but no internet and CRC errors are over 1000 in less than 10 seconds.

Any ideas how the hell to convince Ogero to look into it since they only come in the day time when it's actually working?

The phone line works, get a dial tone that's clean.

Last edited by beezer (September 23 2017)

#2 September 23 2017

nuclearcat

Re: No Internet After Midnight

WOW. 220V coming over telephone line?
Does they mean they just hang telephone line over high voltage line? Or normal 220v poles?
Do you have any chance to see how it is done? This might be very HUGE safety concern, i can't imagine someone so much crazy to do such thing, to put telephone wires in close proximity to mains voltage. This is considered totally insane by all means as there is strict safety rules about that.
Telephone line normally have 48DC over it, and on call it might get higher "calling voltage". How much do you get if you stick multimeter there?

Last edited by nuclearcat (September 23 2017)

#3 September 23 2017

beezer

I don't get 220v, I get something less than 100v as my volt meter starts at 100v and it reads 0 when I tried it. But it does give enough of a shock that I wore gloves when I did the rewiring in the house or I waited for the gov electricity to switch off.

I've seen the poles, the lines don't touch but they run within centimeters next to each other at two points.

#4 September 23 2017

nuclearcat

After reviewing, there is possible joint poles, where telephone and power coexist, but under no conditions they affect each other.

If its just mains 220v it is somehow ok _if done properly_ and not centimeters nearby. Properly it is something like that:
JP1-SZSpace1.jpg
30 inches - 76cm

High voltage a bit more complex, multigrounded neutral is a key
utilitypole.jpg

You can see examples of safe joint poles here:
http://www.annsgarden.com/poles/poles.htm#com

48VDC can give some shock as well. You need to check voltage towards ground or neutral line, if there is any AC, better if someone skilled will do that.

#5 September 24 2017

beezer

It's definitely getting  electricity through it, the guy from Ogero admitted it and I can handle the wiring when the electricity is off. The way I discovered it is because I got shocked one day when I was wiring and the electricity was off and then came on.

Anyways, that's not the problem I'm having. It's that  after midnight I get no internet from 12am-6am whether government  power or not.

#6 September 24 2017

rolf

beezer wrote:

Any ideas how the hell to convince Ogero to look into it since they only come in the day time when it's actually working?

Take pictures and screenshots and send it to them.
If they don't want to fix that, then I don't see how you can force them.

What area are you in?

Last edited by rolf (September 24 2017)

#7 September 25 2017

beezer

West Bekaa

Board footer