LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 15 2017

Toufic

Need help choosing new "Future proof" modem/router

Hello !

I'm going to purchase a new modem/router in the next couple of weeks, and here's the modems i have in mind:

Asus DSL-AC68U 4 Port 1900 Mbps VDSL Modem-Router (for 270$)

NetGear D7000-100PES AC1900 Nighthawk VPN  WiFi VDSL/ADSL (for 315$)

TP-LINK AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2 Modem Router ARC (315$)

Any feedback is welcomed to help me choose wish one will serve better

Thank you

#2 September 15 2017

ms94

Re: Need help choosing new "Future proof" modem/router

I had the same concern in mind when I bought my modemRouter. Got the TpLink archer VR 400
Has ADSL, VDSL, cable and fiber support. USB 2.0 port is there. 2 Ghz and 5Ghz networks with guest mode. Got everything i need
You can go for thr VR600 if u need more than 1 usb port

#3 September 15 2017

random-username

I' d recommend getting a cheap standaolne VDSL modem and connecting it via bridge mode to an open-source supported router.

It would me a lot more future proof because of:
1- Constant updates and new features that open source frimware offer (Tomato-DD WRT- Open wrt...etc)
2- A VDSL modem/router combo is often more expensive and older than modern standalone routers.
3- If you're one of the lucky few who gets his hand on fiber in the next few years, you'll discover that you will have no use for the VDSL function.
4- Modem/router combos are rarely supported by reputable open source frimware since their hardware is outdated

I was contemplating the thought of dropping a few hundred bucks on a modem/router, but ended up opting for a linksys WRT-3200ACM which is as future proof as it's ever going to get. Was a total overkill for my 12Mbps DSL,. In hindsight, I'd say it was money well spent since it's now hosting my printer server and FTP server via it's 3.0 and eSata ports on DD-WRT. And since it comes with 2 partitions out of the factory, I can always biot back to the original linksys frimware in a click of a button.

Good luck with your purchase, hope my response helped clear some of your concerns.

#4 September 15 2017

amkahal

random-username wrote:

I' d recommend getting a cheap standaolne VDSL modem and connecting it via bridge mode to an open-source supported router.

1- Constant updates and new features that open source frimware offer (Tomato-DD WRT- Open wrt...etc)
2- A VDSL modem/router combo is often more expensive and older than modern standalone routers.
3- If you're one of the lucky few who gets his hand on fiber in the next few years, you'll discover that you will have no use for the VDSL function.
4- Modem/router combos are rarely supported by reputable open source frimware since their hardware is outdated

I was contemplating the thought of dropping a few hundred bucks on a modem/router, but ended up opting for a linksys WRT-3200ACM which is as future proof as it's ever going to get. Was a total overkill for my 12Mbps DSL,. In hindsight, I'd say it was money well spent since it's now hosting my printer server and FTP server via it's 3.0 and eSata ports on DD-WRT. And since it comes with 2 partitions out of the factory, I can always biot back to the original linksys frimware in a click of a button.

Good luck with your purchase, hope my response helped clear some of your concerns.

i totally support your point, personally i'm searching for a cheap vdsl modem to connect it to a Mikrotik. Mikrotik is fully future-proof up to me.

#5 September 15 2017

wollyka

amkahal wrote:
random-username wrote:

i totally support your point, personally i'm searching for a cheap vdsl modem to connect it to a Mikrotik. Mikrotik is fully future-proof up to me.

From where did you get your Mikrotik ?

#6 September 16 2017

elserge82

Toufic wrote:

Hello !

I'm going to purchase a new modem/router in the next couple of weeks, and here's the modems i have in mind:

Thank you

From where are willing to buy the Asus ? I cant find it anywhere.
(mikrotronics don't have it in stock)

I have the Rt-ac68u from 4 years(router version). till now I still find it the best based on features and performance. best router on the planet. from download manager, vpn server, vpn client., traffic stats, qos ...

Last edited by elserge82 (September 16 2017)

#7 September 16 2017

Toufic

elserge82 wrote:
Toufic wrote:

Hello !

Thank you

From where are willing to buy the Asus ? I cant find it anywhere.
(mikrotronics don't have it in stock)

I have the Rt-ac68u from 4 years(router version). till now I still find it the best based on features and performance. best router on the planet. from download manager, vpn server, vpn client., traffic stats, qos ...

I'm heading abroad for vacation early next month, and i will be getting either the Asus or the tp-link
I had my mind on the Asus at first, but did some reading, and the other one seems as good and "newer"

Both are future proof, support VDSL and fiber optic speeds / configuration.

I did some reading and i understand your feedback on the Asus, every blog i put this question, i hear the same as you in terms of performance and features (For the modem/router as well).

#8 September 16 2017

elserge82

As you wish. I know both brands and when I saw the prices . I said ASUS all the way . man, the torrent client is irreplaceable by anything else. And paying more for a chinese brand  I wouldn't call it a smart move. Not to mention having a brand new faulty high performance devices from tplink. ( if you are going to pick tp link double check it before bringing it to leb specially the high packet drops. in wireless)

It is your call...

#9 September 16 2017

Toufic

elserge82 wrote:

As you wish. I know both brands and when I saw the prices . I said ASUS all the way . man, the torrent client is irreplaceable by anything else. And paying more for a chinese brand  I wouldn't call it a smart move. Not to mention having a brand new faulty high performance devices from tplink. ( if you are going to pick tp link double check it before bringing it to leb specially the high packet drops. in wireless)

It is your call...

Man i appreciate the feedback a lot.

You are kind a right.

There's only one thing that scares me regarding the Asus, it's the chipset (it's not Broadcam, wish are the best in the market)

Besides that, Asus all the way.

Thank again, i will take it into account.

#10 September 16 2017

amkahal

wollyka wrote:
amkahal wrote:
random-username wrote:

From where did you get your Mikrotik ?

you can get from skiespro, beirut chiyah.

#11 September 16 2017

elserge82

Toufic wrote:
elserge82 wrote:

It is your call...

Man i appreciate the feedback a lot.

You are kind a right.

There's only one thing that scares me regarding the Asus, it's the chipset (it's not Broadcam, wish are the best in the market)

Besides that, Asus all the way.

Thank again, i will take it into account.

I can't help you with that since I prefer using modem wireless router separately.

You are right broadcom is recommended by everybody.
Tplink comes with different chipsets.

Last edited by elserge82 (September 16 2017)

#12 September 16 2017

H.S

In terms of hardware, getting a VDSL2 modem with at least 1GHz dual core Broadcom CPU, 4x external antennas that support MU-MIMO technology in case you have compatible devices (laptops, smartphones, etc...).

- TP-LINK (Archer VR2800) with Broadcom chipset. http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/deta … R2800.html
- Asus (DSL-AC88U). It is the first and probably the only modem that supports the G.fast technology. Not sure about it's chipset. https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

#13 September 16 2017

Toufic

H.S wrote:

In terms of hardware, getting a VDSL2 modem with at least 1GHz dual core Broadcom CPU, 4x external antennas that support MU-MIMO technology in case you have compatible devices (laptops, smartphones, etc...).

- TP-LINK (Archer VR2800) with Broadcom chipset. http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/deta … R2800.html
- Asus (DSL-AC88U). It is the first and probably the only modem that supports the G.fast technology. Not sure about it's chipset. https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

The two you mentioned are routers.

Not combo modem/router

Last edited by Toufic (September 16 2017)

#14 September 16 2017

H.S

They're both modem/router and support all ADSL/VDSL modulations, fiber compatible, they both have LAN/WAN port plus 3G/4G support. As I mentioned, the ASUS supports G.fast which is a more advanced technology that relies on copper like ADSL/VDSL.

All the technical info are provided with the links posted. (I can see that you didn't check the links).

Last edited by H.S (September 16 2017)

#15 September 17 2017

Toufic

H.S wrote:

They're both modem/router and support all ADSL/VDSL modulations, fiber compatible, they both have LAN/WAN port plus 3G/4G support. As I mentioned, the ASUS supports G.fast which is a more advanced technology that relies on copper like ADSL/VDSL.

All the technical info are provided with the links posted. (I can see that you didn't check the links).

As a matter of fact i just did and turned out i was wrong, these are modem/router combo.

For some reason, the Asus you shared is priced at 550$ (where i will be going early next month)

The Tp-link VR2800 is not even there (just checked).

The thing is, with the current internet upgrade and promised speeds by ISP and OGERO, you don't need too much of a future proof modem. All and all, the Asus RT-68U and the TP-Link VR900 are more than enough.

Thank you for providing two extra options. But it seems i'm going with the TP-link VR900 because of their broadcam chipset.

Board footer