LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 13 2017

Johnaudi

Local Internet Supplier (Metn Area) - Technically a scam exposed

Thread got off topic, delete requested.

Thank you

Last edited by Johnaudi (September 19 2017)

#2 September 13 2017

Adnan

Re: Local Internet Supplier (Metn Area) - Technically a scam exposed

I don't want to defend the guy but you should just cancel your subscription rather than modifying the speed to your likings.  From my experience all local providers work the same way anyway, they can't afford to keep up to the advertised packages. If you don't have DSL it's always gonna suck.

Last edited by Adnan (September 13 2017)

#3 September 13 2017

Johnaudi

Adnan wrote:

I don't want to defend the guy but you should just cancel your subscription rather than modifying the speed to your likings.  From my experience all local providers work the same way anyway, they can't afford to keep up to the advertised packages. If you don't have DSL it's always gonna suck.

I'm actually subscribed to Ogero OS now, but I still have access to his database. But I do agree with you, yet they don't have the need to lie to the customer on how the internet is supposed to work when you're actually subscribed to a caching server. I still use his internet for downloads such as torrents.

Local providers mainly provide to those who only use cached content such as Youtube and Facebook.

Last edited by Johnaudi (September 13 2017)

#4 September 13 2017

Adnan

Johnaudi wrote:

I'm actually subscribed to Ogero OS now, but I still have access to his database. But I do agree with you, yet they don't have the need to lie to the customer on how the internet is supposed to work when you're actually subscribed to a caching server. I still use his internet for downloads such as torrents.

Local providers mainly provide to those who only use cached content such as Youtube and Facebook.

True, true. I always advise my family and friends to subscribe to DSL when possible.

#5 September 13 2017

AVOlio

My brother is subscribed with a local dealer in Dekwaneh.

So you're telling me, if i provide you with his PPPOE username (the one i can get from the router) you can actually tell me how the dealer is capping/throttling his speed and might also be able to edit/change it?

#6 September 13 2017

Johnaudi

AVOlio wrote:

My brother is subscribed with a local dealer in Dekwaneh.

So you're telling me, if i provide you with his PPPOE username (the one i can get from the router) you can actually tell me how the dealer is capping/throttling his speed and might also be able to edit/change it?

Yes, if it is the same provider. The database has up to 3000 online connections daily, surprisingly most of my friends' names were there as well.

#7 September 13 2017

AVOlio

Who's your provider?
The last time I checked, I think his isp was win dsl or something like that.

#8 September 13 2017

RandomMemory

Just leave the guy dude. What you are doing is illegal even though he deserves it and if he notices the speed you are getting from his control panel he will trace your mac which is most likely binded to your account and you will be fucked.

#9 September 13 2017

Johnaudi

AVOlio wrote:

Who's your provider?
The last time I checked, I think his isp was win dsl or something like that.

I'm not sure if the reseller's account name is under WinDSL, yet if you're able to provide me with the WAN username via PM I'll be able to check.

#10 September 13 2017

Johnaudi

RandomMemory wrote:

Just leave the guy dude. What you are doing is illegal even though he deserves it and if he notices the speed you are getting from his control panel he will trace your mac which is most likely binded to your account and you will be fucked.

My apologies, yet my intentions is not to fuck with him, but to bring his promised internet speed to the users of which are getting ripped off.

This is not the main purpose of the thread though, it's most likely awareness of those local providers not keeping up to their words and how to avoid it.

#11 September 14 2017

nuclearcat

Johnaudi wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

My apologies, yet my intentions is not to fuck with him, but to bring his promised internet speed to the users of which are getting ripped off.

This is not the main purpose of the thread though, it's most likely awareness of those local providers not keeping up to their words and how to avoid it.

I am sorry, "promised"? And, my condolences, but you already f**ed. I don't know guy personally, but if i am not wrong, that a guy who escaped 2 huge scandals, sentenced for some term in basements of military investigators, and he is still running ISP.  Good luck surviving if he will find out your mangling in his billing.
And, our dear Robin Hood(actually not, Robin Hood has honorable intentions, while you are just a thief, who gave _yourself_ more quota), you should probably learn a lot, before talking such things. _Promised_ speed - doesn't mean unlimited quota. You should know all underneath of ISP business, before you judge.
I didn't see you are running ISP and giving us very good example of unlimited high speeds. Instead, still you are very generous... but from another person pocket.
I really wish when you will do your business (if you will ever will be able to do, with such "ideas"), someone will do to you the same. Karma.

And one more reminder to fellow geeks:

Hacking, and writing to owner about weakness, in exchange for money (you can't demand them directly, but you are not obliged to tell details of hack as well) - white hat business.
Hacking, without causing any damage, and then discussing details with fellow hackers such way that it will minimize possible damage(e.g. talking with vendor/owner so he patch vulnerability first) - is a science and technology.
Hacking, and over it giving away part of someone very rich wealth for those who are in need - is a crime, but might be considered honorable, if you don't benefit from that at all (including doing that anonymously).
Hacking, and using that for your own benefit - ordinary shameful theft.

#12 September 14 2017

Johnaudi

nuclearcat wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

I am sorry, "promised"? And, my condolences, but you already f**ed. I don't know guy personally, but if i am not wrong, that a guy who escaped 2 huge scandals, sentenced for some term in basements of military investigators, and he is still running ISP.  Good luck surviving if he will find out your mangling in his billing.
And, our dear Robin Hood(actually not, Robin Hood has honorable intentions, while you are just a thief, who gave _yourself_ more quota), you should probably learn a lot, before talking such things. _Promised_ speed - doesn't mean unlimited quota. You should know all underneath of ISP business, before you judge.
I didn't see you are running ISP and giving us very good example of unlimited high speeds. Instead, still you are very generous... but from another person pocket.
I really wish when you will do your business (if you will ever will be able to do, with such "ideas"), someone will do to you the same. Karma.

And one more reminder to fellow geeks:

Hacking, and writing to owner about weakness, in exchange for money (you can't demand them directly, but you are not obliged to tell details of hack as well) - white hat business.
Hacking, without causing any damage, and then discussing details with fellow hackers such way that it will minimize possible damage(e.g. talking with vendor/owner so he patch vulnerability first) - is a science and technology.
Hacking, and over it giving away part of someone very rich wealth for those who are in need - is a crime, but might be considered honorable, if you don't benefit from that at all (including doing that anonymously).
Hacking, and using that for your own benefit - ordinary shameful theft.

Please note back the following.

Note that this provider caches almost all sites visited, the actual speed (which I cannot control) is about 1M for uncached content.

Even whilst opening the speed up to a million megabits per second, it will not affect the speed to his server in any way. You can only get cached content to his server with such a speed. Your true speed will always be less than 1M (even though you're subscribed to, say, 8M). I do agree that what I may be doing is not the most ethical, but it is truly nothing that effective unless you're a cached-content user.

Note that my reseller knows about my current speed but does not seem to care quite much, as long as I don't, as you say, mess with his billings.

I did expect a slight amount of negative feedback, if it is quite an issue, may I request a thread close or delete?

Last edited by Johnaudi (September 14 2017)

#13 September 14 2017

AVOlio

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this thread.
These retailers indeed are promising specific speeds and mentioning unlimited usage, while in the  background they are indeed reducing your speed after a certain amount of usage without your knowledge, and as johnaudi said might also be caching your internet usage and the speed will not matter any way, in that case I have all the tight to change my speed also behind his back if I had the ability without being called unethical or invading / ruining someone's business.

And even if they do not mention unlimited quota, they don't go ahead and tell you that there is a limit and that your speed will be reduced after you pass that limit.
Most of us geeks are fully aware of this, but you have people subscribing to these kind of dealers that do not understand or be aware of such things and yet they are paying huge amounts of money every month from crappy internet. And this is stealing.
If someone is stealing from me, I will steal from him.

Yea you could say unsibcribe, but whatever, maybe your circumstances doesn't let you to unsibcribe because you need the internet, but that doesn't mean we should shut our mouths and keep on paying money, or in this case, Not do anything in case we have a way to make the internet he is providing us better behind his back like him.

Currently my brother is paying about 60-70k I don't remember exactly for barely 2mbps, if you reach 2mbps means you are using the internet in a good day, that with a horrible ping.

So yea, if there Is a way to change that behind the dealers backs, I would do it, and happily sleep at night.

#14 September 14 2017

nuclearcat

AVOlio wrote:

If someone is stealing from me, I will steal from him.

Yea you could say unsibcribe, but whatever, maybe your circumstances doesn't let you to unsibcribe because you need the internet, but that doesn't mean we should shut our mouths and keep on paying money, or in this case, Not do anything in case we have a way to make the internet he is providing us better behind his back like him.

Currently my brother is paying about 60-70k I don't remember exactly for barely 2mbps, if you reach 2mbps means you are using the internet in a good day, that with a horrible ping.

So yea, if there Is a way to change that behind the dealers backs, I would do it, and happily sleep at night.

"If someone is stealing from me, I will steal from him." - you are paving your way to troubles then and possibly might ruin your life and career.
I can give countless examples, that ISPs, hosting over the world doing such things and it's legal, because completely unlimited and unrestricted access cost arm&leg.
Other thing, i am developing billing for other ISPs(not for WinDSL), and i faced many time hacking attempts, passwords theft and etc.
Once even successful, but it was white hat, billing developed by team and one member of development team didn't filtered content for html tags, and boom - XSS.  White hat got awarded, as he came with information and explained how he did it.
Other times... i will force ISP to react on that if "hacking" is enough annoying, as if such thing repeat, i will waste my time checking things on alerts, reviewing logs and etc, and i will charge them extra if reason of disturbance (hacker) is not "fixed".
Best case and most common you get disconnected.
If not, and it's still good guys - you will get legal team on your head. While ISP easily can explain his point and legally what you think "stealing" is just fair policy, yours is clear deliberate hacking and criminal offence. Usually they will just scare you, fine maybe, and let go, but if you wont be enough polite, they can easily add you criminal record to your bio, and good luck getting reputable job in your life with such "achievement".
If it is bad guys, it is worse, they will just send some criminals and will solve their question by beating shit out of offender.

#15 September 14 2017

RandomMemory

Even ISPs in the US that promise unlimited internet with 200mb/s down will start throttling if you reach a 250GB+ usage, and the same goes for belgium. So pretty much every ISP in the world has a fair usage policy and no one can provide 100% promised speeds and quotas at all the time. Unless you're with google fiber ofc.

Last edited by RandomMemory (September 14 2017)

#16 September 14 2017

nuclearcat

RandomMemory wrote:

Even ISPs in the US promise unlimited internet with 200mb/s down will start throttling if you reach a 250GB+ usage, and the same goes for belgium. So pretty much every ISP in the world has a fair usage policy and no one can provide 100% promised speeds and quotas at all the time. Unless you're with google fiber ofc.

There is reasoning behind, i posted it several times, all math involved, but i guess noone bothered to read it.
I got dedicated 1G fiber for example, in Lebanon. It doesn't cost me $1 financially, but it cost me by providing some services as barter, but in result it is good deal for both sides.

And why i put my nose in this subject... it's very important.
Today someone decide it's unfair that he get speed limited, and he gets more by "hacking" billing or stealing ISP password.
Tomorrow, when he will get a job, he will decide employer pay him too little, and he steal something at workplace and sell it.
Worse if he gets government job, and decide same, he wont do his job or make it extremely slow, until citizen pay him a "fee". Because "he decide that this people do business and they must share their profit with poor him". Or some nasty things, as making state pay 10x more, for deals where he get some tips.
And maybe in a while he become politician, and...

Sorry, but if person don't understand that and repeating his crime, i will put such guy in trouble if i can, as i don't want such rotten person to reach anything significant in his life, so he dont ruin later life of thousands.
But if someone listening to me, he wont do such things or stop doing..even if he did - then, we all do mistakes, and if you understand and regret that mistake, no problem, let's forget it.

Last edited by nuclearcat (September 14 2017)

#17 September 14 2017

Johnaudi

nuclearcat wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

Even ISPs in the US promise unlimited internet with 200mb/s down will start throttling if you reach a 250GB+ usage, and the same goes for belgium. So pretty much every ISP in the world has a fair usage policy and no one can provide 100% promised speeds and quotas at all the time. Unless you're with google fiber ofc.

There is reasoning behind, i posted it several times, all math involved, but i guess noone bothered to read it.
I got dedicated 1G fiber for example, in Lebanon. It doesn't cost me $1 financially, but it cost me by providing some services as barter, but in result it is good deal for both sides.

And why i put my nose in this subject... it's very important.
Today someone decide it's unfair that he get speed limited, and he gets more by "hacking" billing or stealing ISP password.
Tomorrow, when he will get a job, he will decide employer pay him too little, and he steal something at workplace and sell it.
Worse if he gets government job, and decide same, he wont do his job or make it extremely slow, until citizen pay him a "fee". Because "he decide that this people do business and they must share their profit with poor him". Or some nasty things, as making state pay 10x more, for deals where he get some tips.
And maybe in a while he become politician, and...

Sorry, but if person don't understand that and repeating his crime, i will put such guy in trouble if i can, as i don't want such rotten person to reach anything significant in his life, so he dont ruin later life of thousands.
But if someone listening to me, he wont do such things or stop doing..even if he did - then, we all do mistakes, and if you understand and regret that mistake, no problem, let's forget it.

I appreciate the clarification, thank you. I assume there is no longer need for this thread then.

Last edited by Johnaudi (September 14 2017)

#18 September 18 2017

Ngel

Regardless of what I think or how I feel towards this issue,

What you are doing and showing off here is 100% illegal, and the topic should be brought down.

#19 September 18 2017

nas93

Ngel wrote:

What you are doing and showing off here is 100% illegal, and the topic should be brought down.

According to you and you alone.

#20 September 18 2017

beezer

Exactly this. He is using a FUP which is pretty standard with providers these days. I doubt any legal things will happen to you, especially since we're in Lebanon and people shoot people and walk free. The provider on the other hand might take this into his own hands depending on his reasoning skills.

RandomMemory wrote:

Even ISPs in the US that promise unlimited internet with 200mb/s down will start throttling if you reach a 250GB+ usage, and the same goes for belgium. So pretty much every ISP in the world has a fair usage policy and no one can provide 100% promised speeds and quotas at all the time. Unless you're with google fiber ofc.

#21 September 18 2017

nuclearcat

nas93 wrote:
Ngel wrote:

According to you and you alone.

Unauthorized access to admin account is a crime in any country, so Ngel is absolutely right.

#22 September 18 2017

RandomMemory

If nothing happened by now then he wont do anything and he doesn't check his logs. Just revert everything and don't login again because this is 100% illegal from every angle.

#23 September 18 2017

AVOlio

Im still amazed how no one mentioned a slight of the illegality of the actions of these isps, with their false advertising and limiting both speeds and quotas.

#24 September 18 2017

RandomMemory

you should go sue IDM/Sodetel/Cyberia etc for applying a fup, not giving you unlimited internet with 10mb/s for 20$ because that's what you're requesting. What legality seriously, the biggest fuss that ever happened 6 months ago when LBC decided to do a report about companies supplying internet from outside sources because of pure competitive reasons with MTV and then they led to company owners going to jail, major slowdowns in internet speed and now most of these people are back in the business and doing the exact same thing they were doing before. Do you actually think anyone cares at this point in this country. All we are saying here is that fighting fire with fire is a stupid concept that doesn't lead anywhere and it's what caused the destruction of this country. So if he doesn't like the internet he can spread the word and leave the guy but hacking him is illegal and if you want a good country start from yourself. RESPECT THE LAW no matter what.

Last edited by RandomMemory (September 18 2017)

#25 September 19 2017

Ngel

AVOlio wrote:

Im still amazed how no one mentioned a slight of the illegality of the actions of these isps, with their false advertising and limiting both speeds and quotas.

What can you do? You can't force them to do anything, you can't sue them for false advertising, There is nothing that says that he shouldnt or can't use FUP. What he's doing is being a jerk. But it is within his legal bounds.

And even if it isn't, back to my main point, this forum is NOT a place for posting your exploits of hacking (I am sure he just left the user/pass as default).

I am 100% with what you guys are talking about, that the whole Local ISP is a new mafia growing up just like the Generator's mafia and the dish mafia. God know's i've done some pretty dank things on my own local ISP, BUT MY POINT REMAINS:

DO NOT POST ILLEGAL STUFF ON THIS FORUM,

It's just like saying 'Hey guys, I managed to hack into a bank and add $ to my account. Tell me your acc number and i'll send some your way'.

As it is not as big of a crime, it's still prohibited by the law, and a crime nonetheless.

Last edited by Ngel (September 19 2017)

Board footer