LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 6 2016

NuclearVision

Pokemon go

Who didn't like that small cute yellow ball when we were little.
In a nutshell, a pokemon outdoor app was released today, it reminds me of the app, of which i honestly forgot the name, that was released by google, i dislike it, it's complicated and has an ugly space-themed interface.
However this one seems easier and straight to the point, a reason to have a walk in the early morning, or if you live in a remote area, and have no means of entertainement.
It's not yet out in lebanese stores, and i'm too lazy to work this around.
I hope it's good.

#2 July 7 2016

AVOlio

Re: Pokemon go

I downloaded the app (the apk, i can share it with you if you like) started playing around, i am currently level 5.
The other app you are talking about is Ingress, i play it every day.

Basically what Pokemon Go is, a "duplicate"/"copy" of Ingress' data, and use it in a different game, of catching Pokemon.
Ingress uses things called "Portals" which are real life objects/monuments/historical places/churches/mosques etc,  and now in Pokemon Go, all those portals of Ingress are switched to be Either Pokemon Gyms or Pokestops.

Even though i agree with you on the ugly-space themed interface (All black), Ingress is much easier and more entertaining, because in ingress you are the one who is making plans, knowing where to go, planning what to do etc...
In Pokemon Go, now i have not yet quite grasped the mechanics of the game and how it works, but i am guessing it is all based on probabilities, like perhaps you walk many kilometers and not a single pokemon appears, or you just open the game in your house, and pokemons start appearing randomly for you to catch.
I might be wrong though, i dont know the game is still in its early phases, all will be cleared after its a few months old.

#3 July 8 2016

Ngel

I played it for 2 hours, and i got hooked up pretty badly.
Going for a pokemon hunt in the afternoon ^.^
If anyone plans on doing that too, don't forget to bring along a portable battery pack... this game is HEAVY on power consumption!

#4 July 8 2016

nosense

https://imgur.com/a/IIt1E

these are my pokemons so far, this game got me hooked also

#5 July 9 2016

the.gamer

AVOlio wrote:

I downloaded the app (the apk, i can share it with you if you like)

please share

#6 July 9 2016

Ngel

..snipped..

that's the link for the Android apk

#7 July 10 2016

silo_m8

The word going around the Internet is people getting banned from servers if they use the workaround to play it in places where it is not released yet. Can anyone here comment on this?

#8 July 10 2016

arached

i've been playing it from the first day it was released in New Zealand from the same link provided by ngel. Till now i haven't got banned and i'm always able to connect to the server.

#9 July 11 2016

Satfoun
Banned

i guess i wont play this game . I got my G4  like 2-3months ago . And am happy that i dont hve to charge it multiple times like ma old S2 even with heavy usage
But this Pokemon thing. is draining the battery like hell
Guess ill pass
Besides, whos gnna play this when u have a 3.5k$ gaming pc LOL

#10 July 11 2016

Ngel

Satfoun wrote:

i guess i wont play this game . I got my G4  like 2-3months ago . And am happy that i dont hve to charge it multiple times like ma old S2 even with heavy usage
But this Pokemon thing. is draining the battery like hell
Guess ill pass
Besides, whos gnna play this when u have a 3.5k$ gaming pc LOL

Me, among many others dude
My pc is worth way above 3.5K$, yet I am going out every night twice to do a poke hunt....
And i have a G4, and i used to charge it 3 times a day, BEFORE pokemon go. Now i just keep it plugged ^.^ Problem solved, pokemon caught, everyone is happy

#11 July 11 2016

Metalloy

great game, but need to be updated badly, since there many critical bugs in this build.
a lot of times when i catch a pokemon the game just freezes which will force me to close the app from the task manager .
server problems are numerous, like not being able to login , or not seeing any pokemon/pokestop/gyms on the map. or delays and frequent hanging in the game.

that being said, this game is a lot of fun specially for old fans of the franchise.
i do wish for them to add more features, i think we will have to wait and see.

#12 July 12 2016

MAS

So which team you joined? i joined Team Instinct (Yellow)

#13 July 12 2016

silo_m8

Those who used the apk, when updates are implemented, how do you update?

#14 July 12 2016

Ngel

has any update been implemented yet ? because i doubt the server will allow multiple client versions to connect

#15 July 12 2016

Ngel

MAS wrote:

Team Red all the way

#16 July 12 2016

silo_m8

Ngel wrote:
MAS wrote:

Team Red all the way

Team red here, walked a total of 7km today. It's been a long time since I did this

#17 July 12 2016

TheStunMan

I was die hard pokemon gamer when i was a kid/teen, two of my colleagues are playing the game and im afraid if i start too my family is going to miss me!! Still resisting from downloading it!!! one question did anyone actually catch serebii or mewtoo ?

#18 July 13 2016

Ngel

TheStunMan wrote:

I was die hard pokemon gamer when i was a kid/teen, two of my colleagues are playing the game and im afraid if i start too my family is going to miss me!! Still resisting from downloading it!!! one question did anyone actually catch serebii or mewtoo ?

Serebi is not in the game files yet

Mew, Mewtwo, Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres are in the game file, but no one has seen them yet. Hints says that they will be placed a special global events, and will be spawned manually.

#19 July 13 2016

MAS

Ngel wrote:

has any update been implemented yet ? because i doubt the server will allow multiple client versions to connect

Yesterday night a new version has been released on iOS. they fixed some of the bugs..

#20 July 13 2016

Satfoun
Banned

I actually found a way fr the battery drain.....u only need to install offline google maps thts all...but the thing is....i dnt hve 3G....im already usin whatsapp bundle lol...soo guess no pokemon fr me......

#21 July 14 2016

NuclearVision

Very laggy game.
Vulnerable to fake gps on android and jailbroken iphones.

Last edited by NuclearVision (July 14 2016)

#22 July 14 2016

MrClass

NuclearVision wrote:

Very laggy game.
Vulnerable to fake gps on android and jailbroken iphones.

yup the fake gps is pretty doable; not easy, but totally doable. im using bluestacks along with a gps faker to simulate movement. im currently wandering around the Bronx

Last edited by MrClass (July 14 2016)

#23 July 15 2016

Truepeace

Can you specify the apps you're using? I once tried a location spoofer from the play store but I used it for the university offer of Alfa that states that you should be present in your university to be eligible to get the offer but it didn't work, however I know that Pokemon may be completely different.

#24 July 15 2016

maulader

Satfoun wrote:

I actually found a way fr the battery drain.....u only need to install offline google maps thts all...but the thing is....i dnt hve 3G....im already usin whatsapp bundle lol...soo guess no pokemon fr me......

I've tried doing that but it seems i can't download any region of lebanon :/

Also the game hasn't worked all day for me, it randomly freezes and I have to reset my phone. I haven't been able to catch any pokemon today :( was there any update today?

For IOS users what seems to be the workaround to install it? I've tried changing my store on my Ipad but when I tried installing it, it swapped my store back and the game was gone.

#25 July 15 2016

MrClass

you need an apple id with US region; changing stores isn't enough

Board footer