LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 26 2016

The313

Warcraft (Movie)

WARNING - The following thread may contain spoilers, if you do not wish to see them, please do not continue reading.

This is probably not the place for movie reviews but since it's a movie based on a game I though I would put it here.

1st, just watched the movie and i must say that i enjoyed it but it could have been better....
2nd, My Review:
*The visuals for me were perfect, the action scenes are good for the most part but the last battle could have been better.
*the characters didn't all get a good build for example Guldan was PERFECT, no one is gonna come out of the movie and not love Guldan evil character(Guldan was REALLY well made), Kadgar was a funny character, Lothar is good but could have been better, Garrona...not so much, on the orc side they were overall good. Overall about the characters there was no character that made me feel like i wish i was him or gave me a attachment to him, for example on GoT when one of the characters die you feel like one of your own friends or kin died even tho Warcraft is not to be compered to GoT (one is a 2h movie vs a 6 season series).
*An other critic is sometimes the movie feel like it is dragging on even tho fantasy movies tend to do that but the drag was not well made all the time.
*A final think I would like to add is that I wish that the movie wasn't made to hit a middle ground between WoW fans and non-fans but rather be targeted to the fans cause, even tho it is in the middle ground, unless you know what the story of the warcraft universe you won't understand a lot of it, and the story of warcraft universe is a good one. I really hated that Stormwind was not destroyed in this story, that would have made a better overall story (inb4 any1 bash me on that I would like to say that I am ''For the Alliance'')
(I went with my friend that have no idea about warcraft or wow and his initial thought was ''it's a nice movie, it was fun but i was waiting for a bigger thing'' BUT when I started to explain to him some of the backstory of some of the characters he was like ''AH...now I understand what/why it happened'' and ''oh that's was well made then'' but before that it he was just ''it's an OK movie'')
*I don't really like to put a grade on movies but since that's how ppl understand, I will put a 6.5/10 for someone that is not a fan of warcraft and a 7.5-8/10 for a warcraft fan.
As for recommendation, I recommended for a warcraft fan any day but not so sure for a non-fan.

Last edited by The313 (May 26 2016)

#2 May 27 2016

silo_m8

Re: Warcraft (Movie)

Just one comment,  this movie is a warcraft movie not a world of warcraft movie. It follows the story of the first game. I'm maybe watching it tonight.

#3 May 27 2016

The313

Yes the movie tells the story of Warcraft 1 which is about 20 years before the story of World of Warcraft.

#4 May 27 2016

Totoro

Since I'm FOR THE HORDE. I got really mad they didn't destroy Stormwind. Also to answer all the people who were like "Omg why did they change his name" well Thrall = Goel. (Goel was baby Moses in the movie for those who didn't notice the name).

#5 May 28 2016

Anthony2000

watched it today, and although i was not very familiar with warcraft lore, i read a few wiki pages before heading to the movies and i understood everything just fine, i mean the core story is quite simple, not so complex to understand. it was quite fun to watch
i was a bit iffy about the ending ( but that is understandable since this movie is obviously meant to have a sequel and i hope it does)
all in all good movie, top notch CGI, quite a few good jokes here and there to ease up the tension, and great battles, but with an OK story that is held back because it doesn't end in a definitive conclusion

edit: now that i think about it, part of me is glad they didn't destroy stormwind this early since fitting that in a 2 hour movie would have felt very rushed, and i really don't want one of Warcraft's most important battles be rushed out

Last edited by Anthony2000 (May 28 2016)

#6 May 29 2016

silo_m8

Totoro wrote:

Since I'm FOR THE HORDE. I got really mad they didn't destroy Stormwind. Also to answer all the people who were like "Omg why did they change his name" well Thrall = Goel. (Goel was baby Moses in the movie for those who didn't notice the name).

Every time they prepared themselves to name the child I say telling myself :" thrall, son of durotan! Thrall, son of durotan!"
I was a bit disappointed,  could you elaborate on the name Goel? Because even if the meaning is the same, Goel is not fitting for an orc warcheif that will found the land of durotar and change the history of azeroth!

#7 May 29 2016

silo_m8

silo_m8 wrote:
Totoro wrote:

Every time they prepared themselves to name the child I say telling myself :" thrall, son of durotan! Thrall, son of durotan!"
I was a bit disappointed,  could you elaborate on the name Goel? Because even if the meaning is the same, Goel is not fitting for an orc warcheif that will found the land of durotar and change the history of azeroth!

After a little digging, found this link, it explains the whole life of go'el (the redeemer) who was captured by humans and enslaved for the gladiator fights and was named thrall (the slave).
That clears things up.

But the name is still not fitting for an orc in my honest opinion.

#8 May 29 2016

The313

-My review might give the impression that i didn't like the movie but i actually did...
-In terms of Lore, there was no explanation(even briefly) why Mediv was corrupted, and how was he able to contact the horde on the other side to invite them and why was his life/death was connected to the portal.
And for Garrona, they said she looks close to human but there was no WHY. She is referred as half orc/half human but if the orcs just past the portal then when/how was she conceived?? there was a scene where she talks about her back-story but she doesn't discuss that.
-About Stormwind distruction, I guess you are right that the movie won't have time for that battle cause in the Lore it wasn't just a simple battle it was a long siege.
-Those critics that said that there is stuff in the movie that are left for a sequel as a bad thing are really ignorant to the fact that the Warcraft universe is based on 9 novels, a lot of mini-stories, comic books, and 3 RTS games and a 11 year MMORPG with 5 expantions worth of story, if the movie ended with no sequel potential it would have looked weird.

Last edited by The313 (May 29 2016)

#9 May 29 2016

Kazouza

silo_m8 wrote:
silo_m8 wrote:
Totoro wrote:

After a little digging, found this link, it explains the whole life of go'el (the redeemer) who was captured by humans and enslaved for the gladiator fights and was named thrall (the slave).
That clears things up.

But the name is still not fitting for an orc in my honest opinion.

If I remember right Thrall was given his name by humans and it meant slave. In reality, he didn't find out his birth name until he met his grandmother in Nagrand during the Burning Crusade.

The313 wrote:

-In terms of Lore, there was no explanation(even briefly) why Mediv was corrupted, and how was he able to contact the horde on the other side to invite them and why was his life/death was connected to the portal.
And for Garrona, they said she looks close to human but there was no WHY. She is referred as half orc/half human but if the orcs just past the portal then when/how was she conceived?? there was a scene where she talks about her back-story but she doesn't discuss that.

Garona is actually half orc and half draenei. I don't know if you remember at the begining, when guldan was opening the portal a draenei prisonner held her hand and talked to her, surprisingly she was capable of understanding and even translating for Gul'dan.

As for Medivh, he was corrupted even before birth by the demon Sargeras. he was defeated by Medivh's mother Aegwynn, but as planned he transfered himself into her body waiting.

#10 May 29 2016

AVOlio

I don't play the games, none of them, I have no idea how many are there even.
So is it okay if you just go and watch the movie, or will I be oblivious about everything during the entire film?

#11 May 29 2016

The313

AVOlio wrote:

I don't play the games, none of them, I have no idea how many are there even.
So is it okay if u just go and watch the movie, or will I be oblivious about everything during the entire film?

If you like fantasy movies then go ahead you will have fun but don't go thinking it's LoTR 2.0

and as ''Anthony2000'' said he understood everything just fine. But as a fan of the story myself i thought it should have told more stuff.

Last edited by The313 (May 29 2016)

#12 May 30 2016

Totoro

I love the Warcraft discussion happening here.

Yes Go'el is his birth name. Thrall his slave/shaman name.
I think that they just had too much to put into 2 hours on a 100 million budget (which is not much) but did their best to make it work.
In my opinion it should have been a 3 hour movie with a longer stretch on Azeroth and the different races of the Alliance.

Because once they introduce both the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, it's going to be pretty hard introducing all these races.
On the other hand, I can't wait to see Taurens, Trolls. Undeads, Blood Elves and Gnomes haha
Also, I can't wait for the Horde to be created.

#13 May 30 2016

Anthony2000

Totoro wrote:

I think that they just had too much to put into 2 hours on a 100 million budget (which is not much) but did their best to make it work.
In my opinion it should have been a 3 hour movie with a longer stretch on Azeroth and the different races of the Alliance.

Because once they introduce both the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, it's going to be pretty hard introducing all these races.
On the other hand, I can't wait to see Taurens, Trolls. Undeads, Blood Elves and Gnomes haha

unfortunately, if the movie doesnt sell well, which i dont think it will, we can get rid of any hopes for a sequel

#14 May 30 2016

Totoro

Anthony2000 wrote:
Totoro wrote:

unfortunately, if the movie doesnt sell well, which i dont think it will, we can get rid of any hopes for a sequel

Yeah of course this will always be a major concern. It made around 40M opening abroad which is pretty good. I guess the real numbers will come out after June 10th when it comes out in NA. Fingers crossed ma man, I would love to see a sequel and even a series would be insane.

#15 May 30 2016

Anthony2000

Totoro wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:
Totoro wrote:

Yeah of course this will always be a major concern. It made around 40M opening abroad which is pretty good. I guess the real numbers will come out after June 10th when it comes out in NA. Fingers crossed ma man, I would love to see a sequel and even a series would be insane.

yeah its true, if they had made it a 2 hours and 30 minutes movie it would have been so much better, with better developed characters, etc...(especially Lothar's son, i didn't give a single cr@p when he got killed)
problem is critics in NA are absolutely bashing the movie to the point where lower sales are to be expected, time will tell

#16 June 2 2016

Ruroken

Its been a while since I had the time to check these amazing forums. Regardless, I watched Warcraft on opening day here in Lebanon and i'm a decent World of Warcraft fan (never player Warcraft games though) and i'm quite familiar with the lore of all the games. With that aside, I watched the movie with my wife, who knows almost nothing about the games or the lore. My wife loved the movie, she even gave it an 8/10, so for people who aren't familiar with the lore, I still recommend them to go watch it.

As for my opinion, I thought the movie was highly entertaining, amazing special effects and CGI and the best use of magical powers (animations) I've seen so far. The movie could have be better for sure. At times it was pretty obvious that parts were removed from the scenes. And recently, Duncan Jones admitted that the studio asked him to remove 40 minutes of footages from the movie, yes 40 MINUTESSSSS. Let's hope that they'll at least release a director's cut which includes the entirety of the movie.

As for the possibility of seeing a sequel, and I would disagree with previous comments, at this stage and with the American critics clearly butchering the movie, it seems that China will be the movie's biggest market and so far its shaping up to be a huge movie there. Reports are stating that Warcraft will overcome Furious 7 as the biggest opening movie in China. So let's hope for the best as I'm sure all of us are craving for a movie that covers the Illidan and Arthas/Lich King stories.

Board footer