LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 May 8 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or IPhone 6s or LG G5

Salloum wrote:
mohammadk97 wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

Good luck dropping that precious 700 bucks phone... As much as i would like to use a phone naked, i never did! And i always end up thankful for that! Never ever broke a phone!
My friend who uses his phones naked broke each one...

Well, it depends on the person.
I have never put on a cover on any of my phones, and never broke a single one.

I take good care of my devices. I broke a display once and it was tough paying the 200$ but in all these years it only happened one time. I prefer to use it naked. Otherwise what's the point of buying a nice phone

The S7 edge is more fragile than any other phone due to the edges design, I agree it's good looking without covers but it won't survive.
Its even recommended to apply a skin for the back (sticker) because it's very easily scratchable

#77 May 9 2016

Salloum

Yeah absolutely it is much more fragile. Especially that the back is also glass, not only the edge, but it's easily twice as likely to crack than any other phone out there, I think. I just wish we could merge the HTC 10 and S7 edge to make the ultimate device.

#78 May 9 2016

Tech Guru

For the Galaxy S7 Edge , drops on the edges will make a small crack and then this will crack will spread , thus caution to be taken. A flip cover can minimize risks , also in the market there are  glass edge screen protectors (Chinese) that fit but the touching will be slower/troublesome and there are the soft ones (not-glass) that perfectly fit how ever only against screen scratches. No screen protectors, are officially released by Samsung in Lebanon through CTC. The phone is still new in the market , one month ahead more varieties will be available.

Currently I am Using Galaxy S7 Edge S View Cover
http://www.samsungctc.com/products/item … cover.html

Thinking of getting the

Galaxy S7 Edge Clear View Cover
http://www.samsungctc.com/products/item … cover.html

Despite the "fragility issues" which are solvable , I am very impressed with this piece of engineering , the camera is damn very fast thanks to the Dual Pixel Camera technology and f/1.7 aperture, and video recording at 1080/60fps with IOS enabled looks very impressive. Exynos 8890 nail in terms of battery endurance with a 3000mAh compared to other flagships that uses the Snapdragon 820.

#79 May 17 2016

Salloum

I think this is the best device ever made. Everything about it is just awesome, from screen to camera to battery life. The only "downside" to this thing are the small bezels, it takes getting used to because the screen is on the bleeding edge. On the other hand this makes for an unbelievably small phone for a 5.5" display. My previous device was a 6s Plus with the same sized display and it feels like a monster compared to the S7 edge. The speaker is also great, I don't understand these reviews that say its bad quality. It's just as good as my 6s Plus. Anyway, for anybody still debating between these devices, the S7 edge is really the way to go. I'm not even bothered by Touchwiz, there's no lag and all you have to do to get rid of it fully is install a theme and download Novalauncher. A+ for Samsung this year.

#80 June 2 2016

Tech Guru

I went to CTC Samsung Debayeh Showroom , (Mian HQ now  they closed all branches) , it is very spacious , well organized, with well technically trained sales persons.

I Got the following for my Galaxy S7 Edge:

Samsung VR from Oculus
Samsung Gear S2 Classic with an Additional Dark Black Leather Strip
Wireless Charging Pad (Fast Charging)
Bluetooth Headset EO-MN910 (White)

Also , I validated my IMEI # (Verified that from a genuine CTC Re-seller) and I registered for Samsung Privilege Card for free by showing them my official purchase invoice (registration must be done on the showroom within 3 months after purchase) http://samsungctc.com/news/148-samsung- … rc=FB-Post

Any Broken/Scratched Screen from miss use , or damaged board will have a one year replacement warranty for one year , by paying 50 USD only , replaced by a genuine bored and motherboard. A very nice service indeed, a Galaxy S7 Edge screen broken / damaged board will cost much higher than that with hustle of genuine products or how they fix stuff by many mobiles shops around here and tthere. In addition personal all phones warranties  thing in Lebanon is a gimmick from Major Re-sellers here  (Class , Private Cell , Khoury , Tahan , Hamdan , Amhaz , Go Mobile etc..) for Samsung (CTC or Not) , HTC . Apple , LG within the warranty period if the board get damaged the screen scratched or broken ,  all blame to the user miss use directly. The screen/board are the most expensive parts one one hand and on the other hand , most parts subjected to failure or scratches/damage (for the screen). CTC with this card has an upper customer value (direct replacement , genuine product , no hustle of blames) direct replacement. Therefore, I do courage an S7/S7 edge holder to go and grab this card the soonest to benefit from that , older mobile (s6 , s6 edge . s6 edge + , note 5) will aslo benefit from that but for a 6 months coverage period (mobiles should be purchased in a period less than  3 months from the date of registration)

I go also a Loyalty Card (S Card) to accumulate points on purchasing Samsung products , I can redeem the points for discounts , installation services , Pre Date Yearly Samsung Bazzar etc..)

p0E2peH.jpg

DnLJyq0.jpg

#81 June 2 2016

Marduk

mabrouk
the s7 seems fast and all, but not fast enough for ME, i saw once a review for it on youtube, when the guy turned on the phone and setted it up, he swiped left and went to the flipboard page, i noticed a small lag while he was swiping to that page, which made me think that the s7 isnt my phone, so i think i will be waiting for even faster phones like when the s8 or s9 are released, i currently have a note 4 and its working fine, i dont really nead a note though since its big and has an spen...., i also dont need a new phone atm as i want my next phone to be perfect and lightning fast, even when it boots up, so i guess im going for an S next time, or maybe something even better.( i usually check benchmark rankings to see if a phone is truly fast/enough)

Last edited by Marduk (June 2 2016)

#82 June 2 2016

LifeEngineer

@marduk i think you're mixing things up man!
Fast is different from smooth!
The galaxy s7 is one of the fastest phones around but not the smoothest!
What annoyed you in that flipboard swipe thing is the lag!
If you want a smooth phone i highly recommend you a HTC or a sony or a nexus phone! They're not as fast as the s7 though! So opening apps, loading apps, performing cpu heavy tasks will be better on the s7 but these will be much more smoother!
I speak here out of experience! I'm a note 4 user! I tried the xperia z3 (older hardware) and i was amazed by how smooth it is! Smoother than a nexus even!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (June 2 2016)

#83 June 2 2016

Marduk

@LifeEngineer yeah thanks for correcting me, ive heard nexus phones are smooth, but either ways ill wait for a newer phone as i need it fast, smooth, and with big battery capabilities, the s7 seems a bit good but i want something even better, and the note 4 is holding just fine for now, as im a very heavy user and would like to get the best i can.

#84 June 2 2016

Salloum

The sad reality is that Android is a fragmented OS and there will always, ALWAYS be lag every now and then. They cram 4GB of RAM and octacore SoCs to try to minimize how much it happens, but lag will inevitably show its ugly head. That's not just on the S7 edge. For what it's worth, the S7 edge Exynos version (the one we have here) is by far the fastest Android phone available. The Flipboard page is useless and can be turned off.
By the way, the Note 6 will be out in August it seems, it's an S7 edge with a 5.7" screen, S Pen, bigger battery, 6GB RAM and without a curved screen. Should be awesome and worth holding out for.

Last edited by Salloum (June 2 2016)

#85 June 2 2016

hussam

Salloum wrote:

The sad reality is that Android is a fragmented OS

To a certain extent, this statement is very correct. A significant amount of specific device support code will never make it to mainline linux kernel.

#86 June 3 2016

Tech Guru

@Marduk

Exynos 8890 Beats SnapDragon 820 in speed & performance , been using the S7 edge for 3 weeks smooth as better , also dude if you want an actual experience before you purchase drop a visit to CTC Samsung Show room and test the device life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJV0uqjBHM

#87 June 3 2016

Marduk

Tech Guru wrote:

@Marduk

Exynos 8890 Beats SnapDragon 820 in speed & performance , been using the S7 edge for 3 weeks smooth as better , also dude if you want an actual experience before you purchase drop a visit to CTC Samsung Show room and test the device life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJV0uqjBHM

@Tech Guru thanks for the info, and the exynos 8890 is supposed to be able to beat snapdragon 820 in speed and performance as its an octacore which should be better at multitasking...i personally didnt like the s6 as my friend has s6 edge and i find it very laggy and slow, and touchwiz seemed like ****, but looks like all that is fixed in the s7.

#88 June 21 2016

LifeEngineer

guys any feedback please or quick reviews from s7 edge owners?

I have a broken screen on my phone and I'm thinking about a new phone and i think the s7 edge is the best out there.

I'm a note guy but the note 6/7 gonna take at least 3 months to be able to be bought and another month to be able to be bought for an acceptable price.

Do you think it's still worth getting now? What is a good price for a used one?

Does the phone have any issues in your experience?

#89 June 21 2016

Salloum

The phone is good but starts to lag with time unfortunately. Touchwiz is much better than before, but it still does. There are almost no bezels which makes handling the phone awkward. Other than that, it's easily the best Android on the market. The Note 7 should be out in August so it may be worth the wait.

#90 June 22 2016

Tech Guru

LifeEngineer wrote:

guys any feedback please or quick reviews from s7 edge owners?

I have a broken screen on my phone and I'm thinking about a new phone and i think the s7 edge is the best out there.

I'm a note guy but the note 6/7 gonna take at least 3 months to be able to be bought and another month to be able to be bought for an acceptable price.

Do you think it's still worth getting now? What is a good price for a used one?

Does the phone have any issues in your experience?

I have been using the S7 Edge for nearly one month , stress it with benchmarks ,taking photos under water , monitoring the battery life. To me its is a fully fledged smart phone. Personally I am moving all the apps. to the 120GB Class 10 UHS SSD , no lags from Touchwize at al (very improved)l.

+IPS68 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMqla13ubaA) / Salt Water Phone Depth Challenge
+Fast Fast Auto-focus Camera with light capturing in dim/nigh shots (aperture now sits at f.1/7)
+Gorgeous 5.5 Super Amoled 1440p Sisplay and very bright under the sun light
+Fast Wireless Charging (as Fast Wireless Charger is required)
+Exynos 8890 is better than SnapDragon 820 in battery endurance and Performance
+No Overheating Issues
+Great Battery Life even with LTE (3600mha)

The Gear S2 Classic is Brilliant , Great Battery Life , Leather Strips , Great Face-watches , Heart Rate , Steps Counter , Bright Screen.
The Samsung VR is very fun to you especially watching 360 YouTube videos , cheap for an entry level VR.

+ the CTC Covered Phones will obtain  Samsung Privilege Card (Free and Obtainable from Debyeh Showroom ) is an added on giving you a full year warranty for s7/s7 edge on the screen/board replacement for a service fee of only 50USD , immediate replacement without the issue of warranty blames (you broke , you screeched blaa blaa)  as Class , Star Communication , Local Re-sellers have after 1 month of phone usage that is still under warranty.

To me Samsung Nail this year , very happy with phone , the peripherals/gadgets, and after customer services. No Regrets at all

#91 June 23 2016

LifeEngineer

Yeah man I'm typing now on it! Got it yesterday!
Anyone knows where to get a decent clear case for this beauty?!
I got one cheap for 10,000LL but it's not protective as there is barely any lip extruding on the edges to cover the screen when laying on its face.
I was looking at spigen clear cases on aliexpress (ultra and neo hybrid) but i thought if i can find them locally it will save me some waiting time.
Thanks.

#92 June 27 2016

LifeEngineer

Guys, I'll post this here to avoid opening a new thread.

Does anyone have any experience with cases on the s7 edge?

I'm looking for a rugged/tough/armor case for it available for me to buy.

I searched for "armor s7 edge case" and I found lots of results on AliExpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat … +edge+case

Some are of known brands like "spigen", "Nillkin", "Ringke" or "Verus" and some are completely unbranded chinese offerings.

Can anyone advise on any of those?

#93 June 27 2016

Salloum

I like Spigen, Nillkin is decent too. A case is mandatory for this device. If you don't mind the cost, CTC has some really nice ones.

#94 June 27 2016

LifeEngineer

Salloum wrote:

I like Spigen, Nillkin is decent too. A case is mandatory for this device. If you don't mind the cost, CTC has some really nice ones.

I don't. But i checked CTC main showroom in Dbayeh and I couldn't find anything that appeals to me. I'm not into flip cases. I just want a back case that lips a bit around the fragile screen to protect it.

#95 June 27 2016

Salloum

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/ga … cessories/

The leather cover looks pretty sharp!

#96 June 28 2016

LifeEngineer

Sharp maybe but definitely not protective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drpsRjnVlYU

I'm looking for a protective case.

#97 June 28 2016

Salloum

In that case go for a Spigen case in my opinion. First-party cases look good but offer little in terms of protection

#98 June 28 2016

Corxorn

Unless you're fond of the iphone software (ios) and 3d touch, id recommend s7 edge, amazing phone

#99 July 9 2016

Tech Guru

Another Proof that Samsung This Year Nail with Exynos 8890 variant in the S7Edge/S7 vs SnapDragon 820 in battery life and perfromance - I Invested well in this awesome Phone :)

Phone Arena: " Galaxy S7 battery life with Exynos CPU vastly superior to Snapdragon flavor, here's the proof"
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S … of_id82900

AnandTech: "The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Review: Part 2"
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10196/the … iew-part-2

#100 July 11 2016

LifeEngineer

Yeah! Watch also latest Techradar gaming test, I was blown away! Samsung sorcery!

Board footer