LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 3 2016

Tech Guru

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or IPhone 6s or LG G5

I have 850 USD to spare , and I am thinking to upgrade my phone.

From reviews (phonearenacom comparative reviews , techinsider , techradar etc..) I inclining towards purchasing the Galaxy S7 Edge from CTC, I found it the most versatile (looks , water resistant ,  the return of an SD , processor , internet user reviews, you-tube channels reviews, tech forums etc..

Any user experiences / recommendations are welcomed to make a a final choice.

Thank You

#2 April 3 2016

Die_Kapitan

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or IPhone 6s or LG G5

Wait until HTC release the One M10 (or HTC 10), it'll surely have the same hardware as the G5 and S7, but, basing off of HTC's past phones, it'll be a step-up in terms of build quality, software (HTC Sense is better than Samsung's TouchWiz and LG's UX) and audio. If you can't wait, go with the G5, I'm still flirting with the idea of getting the G5 just for its modularity, but I don't think I can abandon HTC unless they come up with an absolutely horrible phone.

#3 April 3 2016

MrClass

I highly recommend the iphone 6s. The storage has ssd like io performance. it is snappy fast.

#4 April 3 2016

NuclearVision

iphones are good, i feel that samsung devices drop in prices a lot.
But that's just me.

#5 April 3 2016

Salloum

For the iPhone road you'll have to go with the Plus. The 6s has a low-res display by today's standards and the battery life is pretty bad. I have the 6s Plus and I highly recommend it

#6 April 3 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Wait for HTC M10, it will be unveiled in a week, this time HTC will make you forget the M9.
iphone is very boring, samsung is cheap TW

Last edited by vegetaleb (April 3 2016)

#7 April 3 2016

MrClass

vegetaleb wrote:

Wait for HTC M10, it will be unveiled in a week, this time HTC will make you forget the M9.

Sorry won't get an HTC again in my life. Went with the M8 hype and ate shit in the end. The phone didnt last 6 months and began acting crazy. Went back to factory settings several times. Issues still come back and the touch screen failed in the end.

Didn't even bother sending to repairs (even under warranty).

Went with a Lumia 930 and it was amazing. Too bad I dropped it after several months and repairing it wasn't worth it.

Now with a 6s and a battery case. Amazing combo.

When you "level up" in life and you have a million responsibilities, you don't have time for solving these shitty issues. You need something that works anywhere and anytime.

For me an iPhone 6s or Lumia can do that.

#8 April 3 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

MrClass wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

Sorry won't get an HTC again in my life. Went with the M8 hype and ate shit in the end. The phone didnt last 6 months and began acting crazy. Went back to factory settings several times. Issues still come back and the touch screen failed in the end.

Didn't even bother sending to repairs (even under warranty).

Went with a Lumia 930 and it was amazing. Too bad I dropped it after several months and repairing it wasn't worth it.

Now with a 6s and a battery case. Amazing combo.

When you "level up" in life and you have a million responsibilities, you don't have time for solving these shitty issues. You need something that works anywhere and anytime.

For me an iPhone 6s or Lumia can do that.

Well I made a training at istyle 2 months ago, you can't believe how many iphone 6 and 6s per day were returned for bad earpiece, software problems, screen problems and camera!!!!!!!!
The guy who come to take them into repair is from Gomobile, he was using an HTC M8, I asked him as he work with both iphones and HTC which one is better quality and he said without hesitation HTC.
I even convinced another salesman to get rid his iphone 6+ and buy an HTC.
From your profile pic it's clear you are still a die hard apple fan that's why you didn't know how to use an HTC or you just never had an M8 lol
I am on my 8th HTC phone and never had hardware problem or even software apart the M7 infamous camera purple tint.
My uncle is on his 3rd HTC and he really is a heavy mobile user, never complained about a thing about HTC phones, he too recommended it over iphones.
iphones is just simply a legend made by heavy marketing, it's really not better than other brands, now do you want a simple but boring phone like iphone or a slightly more complicated (OS) one but with so much customization,kernel,roms,mods that you won't ever get bored?

#9 April 3 2016

Salloum

I used to buy every Android phone available, but when I bought an iPhone 6 Plus last year I was amazed at how stable it is and how good the battery life is. I agree with MrClass, you reach a point where you just want something that works, gets timely software updates (I think 3% of Android phones run Marshmellow vs 80% of iDevices running iOS 9) and doesn't need to be rooted and have dozens of tweaks installed to work like I want. It's true that you can't customize much on iOS but to me it's a small price to pay for such a smooth experience. Loving it so far.

#10 April 3 2016

Die_Kapitan

I'm not an HTC zealot like @vegetaleb, but having a bad experience with a company doesn't mean you should stop buying from it, if that was the case I'd be stuck with Intel's integrated graphics as both AMD and Nvidia cards have failed on me, or I wouldn't be owning an M9, as I had bad experiences with the One X and the M9 (although Qualcomm should be blamed for the latter).

#11 April 3 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Die_Kapitan wrote:

I'm not an HTC zealot like @vegetaleb, but having a bad experience with a company doesn't mean you should stop buying from it, if that was the case I'd be stuck with Intel's integrated graphics as both AMD and Nvidia cards have failed on me, or I wouldn't be owning an M9, as I had bad experiences with the One X and the M9 (although Qualcomm should be blamed for the latter).

I agree 100%
None brand is perfect including apple, as I said I saw so many iphone 6/s coming for repair that it's a proof that it's not more durable and OS stable than others.
The Lebanese sayings that iphones don't go to repair or they are super stable is just BS.
Nowadays having a bad experience with a phone whatever is the brand (HTC,Apple,samsung...) is not rare, mass production is the rule and so quality control and OS stability over time is not perfect.
Did I said how my ex-gf's iphone ringtones and notifications volume kept muting without explanation? A soft reset fixed it but the bug came back 1 month later. So much for perfect OS .
At least with Android phones you can just flash a rom and all your bugs are gone, there are no bug that can't be fixed thanks to the numerous XDA devs, but with ios you simply can't! If you get a bug it's here till apple decide to update the software.
As for G5, after the huge motherboard problems on G4 I won't recommend it unless you buy it with warranty

#12 April 3 2016

MrClass

vegetaleb wrote:

From your profile pic it's clear you are still a die hard apple fan that's why you didn't know how to use an HTC or you just never had an M8 lol
I am on my 8th HTC phone and never had hardware problem or even software apart the M7 infamous camera purple tint.

Are you high or what?

Die hard apple fan boy? I had 2 iphones all my life, an iphone 4S, and an iphone 6S.

Die hard fan, says the guy with his 8th HTC phone.

#13 April 3 2016

mohammadk97

Given that Samsung and Apple are releasing the same phone every year, I would recommend the G5, since LG actually made some innovation to their phone.

Last edited by mohammadk97 (April 3 2016)

#14 April 3 2016

mmk92

I'd go with the iPhone 6s.

Pros:
Performance is mind blowing,
build quality feels extremely premium
Software support for at least 4 years, you get the updates alongside all other iPhones the same day as release
App store in iOS is miles ahead of Android, all apps on iOS go through a very daunting approval process while on Android almost anything goes.
Bragging rights.

Cons:
Price
Limited storage unless you opt for the higher capacity models which would make your wallet itch even more
Doesn't charge as fast as the other flagships (not even close)

I've owned 7 Android phones so far and I'm the type of user who heavily customized his phone. At this point all Android manufacturers IMO ironed the issued that drove us to do all these sorts of customization so we're at a point were Android phones feel very similar and the true differentiating point is their exterior design and minor software features between them.

Don't get me wrong, S7/S7 Edge are extremely well built, fast and beautiful. I could also say the same about the G5 from what I've seen of it so far(I think the modular feature is gimmicky, but your opinion may vary)

If the iPhone 6s was within my budget I would go for it in a heart beat.

#15 April 3 2016

Salloum

Fast charging is a great feature. I hope Apple put it in the 7. On the other hand wireless charging is the stupidest feature I've ever seen. Just plug in a cable is it that hard? Can't even use your phone while it's charging. And wireless chargers are like 40$. pass...

edit: I also agree with what you said about the G5 modular business being gimmicky. It's not really modular if you can't replace vital parts like RAM or camera. Basically it's just an easier way to put a battery cover. The modules announced so far aren't too exciting.

Last edited by Salloum (April 3 2016)

#16 April 3 2016

Anthony2000

i would take a look at the Lumia 950XL

#17 April 3 2016

ballad

vegetaleb wrote:

iphones is just simply a legend made by heavy marketing, it's really not better than other brands, now do you want a simple but boring phone like iphone or a slightly more complicated (OS) one but with so much customization,kernel,roms,mods that you won't ever get bored?

they don't only do good marketing, they do good R&D, hence they are stable

#18 April 3 2016

mmk92

@Salloum you'll see the true benefit of wireless charging when a single standard is agreed upon and we see wide spread adoption of it everywhere. I modded my desk at home with a wireless charger from underneath, I just place my phone the desk like I normally would when I'm on my PC and it would charge without a cumbersome wire.
I've also seen a bedside lamp that has built in wireless charging capabilities, so you just toss your phone over its base before you sleep and wake up to a fully charged phone.

Fast charging for me was a massive step over just having small increments in battery life, a 15minute charge with my phone off gets me to 40-50% from am almost completely drained out battery.

#19 April 3 2016

mmk92

Anthony2000 wrote:

i would take a look at the Lumia 950XL

I had very high hopes for this phone, but it seems even Microsoft is losing interest.

Amazing Camera, Software is optimized very well on the hardware it's running on, Continume is a cool party trick, beautiful AMOELD screen, and definitely a shift from what iOS and Android are converging to wards in terms of user experience and ui design.

The body's design and feel is meh. Very limited app options, many mainstream apps don't have Windows 10 counterparts.

#20 April 3 2016

Salloum

mmk92 wrote:

@Salloum you'll see the true benefit of wireless charging when a single standard is agreed upon and we see wide spread adoption of it everywhere. I modded my desk at home with a wireless charger from underneath, I just place my phone the desk like I normally would when I'm on my PC and it would charge without a cumbersome wire.
I've also seen a bedside lamp that has built in wireless charging capabilities, so you just toss your phone over its base before you sleep and wake up to a fully charged phone.

Fast charging for me was a massive step over just having small increments in battery life, a 15minute charge with my phone off gets me to 40-50% from am almost completely drained out battery.

I see the convenience of just throwing it there, but I have USB charging bricks around the house so I plug in wherever I need to. It's not a big deal. The big negative (to me personally) of wireless charging is that the device has to have a glass back, not aluminum, otherwise it won't work. I hate glass backs, they are fingerprint magnets, they get dirty and don't feel nearly as premium as metal.

#21 April 3 2016

mmk92

Yes there's always drawbacks when integrating a new technology, wireless charging still needs a few iterations for it to become mature. Wired charging isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

#22 April 3 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

ballad wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

they don't only do good marketing, they do good R&D, hence they are stable

This is bullshit
iphone 6 and 6s are not more stable than Android phones, I wasted my time showing you tons of proofs for nothing apparently!
I hope you have an official warranty on your iphone or else you will have to pay very high for repair
Geez I thought we had real geeks here and not typical Lebanese robots repeating apple isheeps BS, it remembers me of Service drivers sayings: Mercedes and BMW are the best and whatever other BS about worshiped brands.

#23 April 3 2016

mmk92

@vegetaleb Those are some sound eye-opening arguments you're raising there.

#24 April 4 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

mmk92 wrote:

Well after years working in Marketing, after seeing numerous TV documents about apple and my own experience with apple from the inside, yes I can say many people are just following myth (iphone) about the perfect, very stable phone.
Technical details so I can give some tech appeal why iphone is beaten?
Well screen resolution for example
MODS
ROMS
Kernels
Memory SD
Access to internal memory from PC without using itunes
Security is not as pain in the ass as ios, you lost your password? oh sorry you lost your 800$ phone.

As some people said in other thread, Lebanese love show-off, showing a 800$ phone (and 1400$ when just out) is part of that, other just want to be part of the ''group'', ''oh you don't have an iphone? I pity you''

Last edited by vegetaleb (April 4 2016)

#25 April 4 2016

ballad

mmk92 wrote:

I'm convinced too, brb going to buy an HTC

Board footer