LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 March 17 2016

silo_m8

Re: I stopped pirating games and it feels good

rolf wrote:

Maybe if there was a big market for second hand original games, then less people would be doing piracy in Lebanon.

The whole topic was about how buying the games is actually comfortable and hassle free.
It devolved into piracy vs anti piracy

#27 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

rolf wrote:

Maybe if there was a big market for second hand original games, then less people would be doing piracy in Lebanon.

how do developpers benefit from people buying used discs?
It might be better than pirated discs which basically cost nothing.
But still, its almost equivalent, in terms of profits, for developpers.
correct me.

#28 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

silo_m8 wrote:
rolf wrote:

The whole topic was about how buying the games is actually comfortable and hassle free.

Relax, Aren't we supposed to discuss it out?
You could hire bots that post your multiple points of view...

#29 March 17 2016

silo_m8

NuclearVision wrote:
silo_m8 wrote:
rolf wrote:

Relax, Aren't we supposed to discuss it out?
You could hire bots that post your multiple points of view...

Discussion is fine. I could discuss the video game industry till tomorrow since it's a topic I actively follow. When staying on topic, discussion is great. But let's not psychoanalyse each other or judge people's life styles.

#30 March 17 2016

RandomMemory

I mean i wish steam would take into consideration our region and offer us special prices like Russia/India.
What's funnier is, the lebanese playstore is more expensive than the US one. I mean come on... Minimum wage is 500$ here.
Take netflix as another example, i paid 10$ for 1 month and 10$ for a vpn to access US content, that's 20$ which is totally fine because of my good internet speed and because you would spend that on DVDs with a bad quality in your local store. But then they banned VPNs and proxies, and i can't access US content anymore, So now i resort to other ways because they forced my hand... But anyways, you have to make a tempting offer to an average person with a low wage in order to make him spend money on video games/music/Movies and shows.

Last edited by RandomMemory (March 17 2016)

#31 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

RandomMemory wrote:

I mean i wish steam would take into consideration our region and offer us special prices like Russia/India.
What's funnier is, the lebanese playstore is more expensive than the US one. I mean come on... Minimum wage is 500$ here.
Take netflix as another example, i paid 10$ for 1 month and 10$ for a vpn to access US content, that's 20$ which is totally fine because of my good internet speed and because you would spend that on DVDs with a bad quality in your local store. But then they banned VPNs and proxies, and i can't access US content anymore, So now i resort to other ways because they forced my hand... But anyways, you have to make a tempting offer to an average person with a low wage in order to make him spend money on video games/music/Movies and shows.

i think netflix is accessible from Lebanon.

#32 March 17 2016

RandomMemory

NuclearVision wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

i think netflix is accessible from Lebanon.

It is, but the content accessible here is terrible.

#33 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

I see... I guess it is to comply with lebanese receptance of movies.
thanks i didn't know that.

#34 March 17 2016

RandomMemory

NuclearVision wrote:

I see... I guess it is to comply with lebanese receptance of movies.
thanks i didn't know that.

It's not that, it's just about licenses. Netflix knew their subscribers use VPNs and proxies to bypass their region locks. But when they expanded to 120+ countries, content owners in the USA and Europe got greedy and pressured netflix to deal with VPNs so they could resell their licenses in this region. And everything on netflix is uncensored, I don't think it complies or passes by any Lebanese filtering.

#35 March 18 2016

NickTheQuick

silo_m8 wrote:

So its been about 5 months since I started getting my games legit. My thought process was: I have a somewhat disposable income that is being spent on eating and drinking out regularly with my girlfriend on the weekends and sometimes during the week. If I skip one night out, that's one triple A title bought from g2a or kinguin at launch.
Since then, I'm being more critical on what I buy, and as a result I'm not having subpar gaming experiences. The con is that I don't play every single game that comes out, but frankly I don't have the time to play everything.
Patching support, cloud saves, achievements, online play, everything is great.

Also my girlfriend is a gamer, i shared my steam library with her through family share, as long as I'm not logged in,  she can play all my games while having her own saves and achievements.

I'm happy to have switched, any of you have the same experience?  Thoughts?

Well I fully understand and respect what you did. In fact, I did the same. I used to have a modded XBOX and tons of games which I never played, you see i get your point!! they had no value to me i just bought them because I could and only played 2 games when I had almost 50!! The things you get for being legit are worth the money. The online features, the peace of mind, the respect you learn for games after you start buying them legally...
I used all that points to convince my friends to stop playing pirated games.
Now if someone plays 10 games in a month and cant afford it maybe its an excuse and he's free to do whatever he wants anyway, but I don't get how you would be a "fils a papa" if you decide to go legit and buy one or two games and play them.(it doesn't make any sense anyway), or torturing yourself "on purpose" by spending more and playing less.(that's not how psychology work and not how it is practiced btw). The way I see it you are now enjoying the whole 60$ or whatever you spent for a game more than the 50 000 LBP or whatever you paid for 25 games or so and only played 2 or 3 of them... so money wise i think you did the right thing like I did (now you dont have to the same guys but that doesn't mean we have to offend you in any way or psycho analyze you...)
Respect man. what you did was great, and I am sure a lot more will follow...
And people who are trying to defend piracy by attacking the guy you don't have to... no one tried to judge you, so don't feel offended for no reason and judge the others... :)

#36 March 18 2016

bermudapineapple

Are people here honestly trying to convince themselves it isn't true that pirating games/movies is stealing, and that thereby by implication, they are theives? Stop kidding yourselves. If you pirate, you're a theif. There's no debate.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (March 18 2016)

#37 March 18 2016

eWizzard

The three main reasons I stopped pirating games:
1. It makes my PC more secure. I don't have to deal with various forms of hidden malware that are shipped with cracked copies.
2. It's easier to keep stuff up to date, whether it's patches or new DLCs. Similarly but with some exceptions, buying games from digital stores is simply far more convenient.
3. Nowadays, it doesn't even cost me physical money to buy most of my games, and through trading on the Steam market, I've made back all the money I've ever spent on games.

I don't actually experience regret or remorse for having pirated games specifically, for many reasons. With other software however, like VSTs, it's starting to become a real issue.

vegetaleb wrote:

Hackers always faced new difficult protections, I am confident Denuvo will be cracked in 2016, there are lot of Chinese and Russian guys who are as good as 3DM and are working on it to get credit for

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if major publishers like EA and Ubisoft actively commission classified research teams dedicated to cracking the DRMs of one another in order to sabotage rival sales.

#38 March 18 2016

NuclearVision

eWizzard wrote:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if major publishers like EA and Ubisoft actively commission classified research teams dedicated to cracking the DRMs of one another in order to sabotage rival sales.

Agreed, reminds me of what apple did in hackulous era, they let people pirate apps to make people buy their iphones and enjoy a wide app range for free, then when they had enough, hackulous and the iphone pirating community mysteriously fell back,  apple started focusing on app sales, given that they gained a huge proportion of the smartphone market.
It was basically a decade plan.

Last edited by NuclearVision (March 18 2016)

#39 March 23 2016

Flakk

I did this once and stopped it, now I only buy games on the steam sale. I prefer the "try" before you buy thing, If I really like it and its worth it then ill support the developers and buy the game. Usually games with multiplayer capabilities are my primary choice to spend my money on.

#40 March 26 2016

Satfoun
Banned

I only buy games that doe not have a singleplayer campaign, only multiplayer
I bought Titanfall for 20$ , and lately PVZ Garden Warfare for 5$ on origin
Other games i am willing to buy are Star Wars Battlefront and The Division and Titanfall 2 and PVZ 2

#41 March 26 2016

Stygmata
Banned

tt400 wrote:

Are people here honestly trying to convince themselves it isn't true that pirating games/movies is stealing, and that thereby by implication, they are theives? Stop kidding yourselves. If you pirate, you're a theif. There's no debate.

And it feels so goooood

#42 March 26 2016

NuclearVision

A random question crossed my mind:
would you buy an original disc for 100$ or buy a pirated copy for 10$ and donate 90$, if you have to.

#43 March 26 2016

RandomMemory

Donate it to who. Devs? Or charities

#44 March 26 2016

NuclearVision

charity.

#45 March 26 2016

Die_Kapitan

I'd donate $50 to the devs (if I like them) and $40 to charity, if the dev's an asshole the $90 go to charity. $50 is more than the dev will get anyway, of the $60 we currently pay for an AAA game, most go to the publisher and Steam and the devs only get $5-$10 per copy sold.

Now are you implying that someday we'll have to pay $100 for a game?

#46 March 26 2016

NuclearVision

not necessarly a game. a software maybe.
I was trying to elaborate something. The original poster says he's happy because he stopped pirating games.
Would it not bring more hapiness, and i mean way more hapiness, if you get to use the software, pirated in this case, keeping in mind you donated 90$ to charity!

#47 March 26 2016

RandomMemory

Die_Kapitan wrote:

I'd donate $50 to the devs (if I like them) and $40 to charity, if the dev's an asshole the $90 go to charity. $50 is more than the dev will get anyway, of the $60 we currently pay for an AAA game, most go to the publisher and Steam and the devs only get $5-$10 per copy sold.

Now are you implying that someday we'll have to pay $100 for a game?

Valve takes 30% profit per copy sold. Excluding VAT.
And guys, your best bet for charity is humble bundle. You can choose how much of your payment goes to devs/HB/charity.

Last edited by RandomMemory (March 26 2016)

#48 March 28 2016

m0ei

What a stupid and naive way of thinking!?

If you see a physical item at a store, would you go search/find a way to steal it? you won't! You see an phone, priced for 700$, you can't afford it, you'd go for a cheaper alternative or you'd save some money until you are able to buy it. The company decides what's the final price will be, you either buy it at that price, you wait till the price is cheaper or SIMPLY you DON'T buy it.

SAME FUCKING THING applies to software and games. The company behind the game priced it at some specific amount, wether it's single player only, multiplayer only, or both. You are free to buy it or not, they're not forcing you to buy it, that doesn't mean you can go download a cracked/patched version on the internet, because you're not gonna pay a for a game that you can find a "stolen" one for free somewhere on the internet. Simply put, you have no rights.

I really don't know what to say as a reply to the "charity" thing NuclearVision mentioned because I haven't read or seen anything more ignorant than that. Why the hell are you mixing between both? "shu 5as hay bi hay"? First of all, it's not like you're donating any $$ after downloading a cracked game. Second of all, if you want to donate, you go donate but it's completely unrelated to that money you're paying to the game dev company, you're free to do what ever you want with the rest of your money... Add to it, the idea of "trying the game" before buying it, you can go check gameplay videos online before buying it, that's not an excuse, at all. Hopefully no one will find a solution to "denuvo", maybe some people will have their morals back after seeing no cracked and patched games on the internet.

It applies to music and to movies. I torrent movies and tv shows for 1 single reason, simply because I have no other choice, I can't purchase digitally latest movies when they're release and I can't watch the latest tv shows live on TV or on the internet. Lebanon isn't part of the allowed countries, and usually it's USA only. If there's a solution, I'd subscribe and go the legal path day 1.

Nobody is seeing you downloading cracked software or games (or stealing a physical item) so you have a reason to do it? that's the problem itself, your mentality.

Last edited by m0ei (March 28 2016)

#49 March 28 2016

NuclearVision

Apparently your brain is pickling. i am not willingnto explain post, other people got the idea.

#50 March 28 2016

silo_m8

NuclearVision wrote:

not necessarly a game. a software maybe.
I was trying to elaborate something. The original poster says he's happy because he stopped pirating games.
Would it not bring more hapiness, and i mean way more hapiness, if you get to use the software, pirated in this case, keeping in mind you donated 90$ to charity!

Why would i ever pay the same amount for a cracked/buggy/incomplete/unsupported version of the game? The happiness is not because I'm supporting the devs or because I'm not stealing, it's because I'm getting a full version that is constantly supported and patched, hassle free and functional with online features such as cloud saves and multiplayer.
Ease of use is why apple even exists, because they realized that some people will actually pay money to get a product that is easy to use and hassle free. (although I'm not a fan of apple practices)

Board footer