LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 21 2016

MrClass

Maxwell (GM20X) or Pascal

Hey guys,

I am considering purchasing a new graphic card and was thinking of purchasing a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX980Ti Extreme: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc … id=5710#kf

Though I noticed that Nvidia is working on Pascal with a possible release on mid 2016.

Is Pascal worth the wait or shall I go now with the 980Ti?

#2 February 21 2016

haidcar

Re: Maxwell (GM20X) or Pascal

pascal is going to to be about 2x faster than maxwell. 28nm to 16nm allows for higher density of transistors, HBM2, along with new architecture.
GP100 is said to deliver 4k 60fps on single GPU.

If i were you i would also keep an eye for AMD's Polaris.

#3 February 21 2016

Anthony2000

MrClass wrote:

Hey guys,

I am considering purchasing a new graphic card and was thinking of purchasing a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX980Ti Extreme: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc … id=5710#kf

Though I noticed that Nvidia is working on Pascal with a possible release on mid 2016.

Is Pascal worth the wait or shall I go now with the 980Ti?

depending on how desperate you are for a new card,...
if you have a mid-range card that can pull you through , wait for pascal
if your card cant play newly released games at medium settings its time to upgrade, 980ti is a beast

#4 February 21 2016

MrClass

Yes Pascal is a huge jump over Maxwell 2. Though not sure when it will be released.

Honestly not too impressed about the 980ti performance with new games. I've installed a 980ti for a friend recently; the card already suffers to keep up with some games; it is almost 1 year old?

I can consider AMD if they offer competing performance with better cost; plus can sell it to gpu miners when it's time to upgrade. I sold 2 280x's to some crypto miners here in Dubai. Didn't know GPU miners still exist; apparently Monero is having some hype

#5 February 21 2016

Tech Guru

980ti Starts showing some lag to achieve a locked 60 Fps (even on 1080p)  in recent titles (Rise of the Tomb Raider ,  The Division , Assassin Creed Syndicate, and the Upcoming AAA Titles such as Hitman and Quantum Break will follow the trend). Upcoming Pascal will have two variants the  GDDR 5/x and HBM 2.0 , Polaris seem to be  very good  on paper , but perception vs reality might change things.

980Ti (especially the Xtreme edition form Gigabyte)  is still a beast and a major upgrade from medium end graphic cards, but as a cushion Pascal with HBM 2.0 will be the next major upgrade to cope with more demanding games (with gorgeous graphics) in 2016 and 2017. However, keep in mind that HBM 2.0 will be on the high end Pascal variants (hefty price), but still GDDR5x will be a leap in performance. Nvidia is expected to give more details on its next-gen GPUs at the company's GPU Technology Conference that is slated to occur in early April.

GP 100

Pascal graphics architecture

- When we compare it to Maxwell, Pascal rolls two-fold performance per watt

- Successor to the GM200 GPU found in the GTX Titan X and GTX 980 Ti

- Features about 17 billion transistors, two times more than the GM200

- Uses 16nm FinFET base from TSMC

- 4 Mb bus interface, comparable to the Fiji GPU power from the AMD Fury models

- Has half-precision FP16 compute at double the rate of full-precision FP32

- Will sport four 4-Hi HBM2 stacks, giving it 16 GB of VRAM, as well as 8-Hi stacks mounting to 32 GB for professional computations in SKUs

- It will sport exclusive compatibility with next-gen IBM PowerPC server processors due to NVLink

- DirectX 12 feature will be at 12_1 or higher levels

- Launch is scheduled for the second half of 2016

Based on a number of slides from an independent researcher, the Nvidia Pascal GPU100 features Stacked DRAM (1 TB/s) giving it as much as 12 TFLOPs of Single-Precision (FP32) compute performance. The flagship GPU is purportedly able to provide four TFLOPs of Double-Precision (FP64) compute performance as well.

Source: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/13495 … -power.htm

Last edited by Tech Guru (February 21 2016)

Board footer