LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 28 2016

Melissa

I don't know if i'm good at this but..

Hey! My name is Mélissa, (to be honest i was quite surprised when i found out  that my username was not taken)
I literally fell in love with my computer since i was a kid, (even when i had the windows 98), so everything related to technology has a big place in my heart, and everything i know about it is self taught.
I always wanted to be a doctor... because people around me were always like :" No don't do anything in computers!! Are you crazy spending your whole life in front of a screen? "
But now i see things from a different perspective, so I changed my mind and decided to go into CCE.
Okey i talk a lot.. But i have to say that i'm very happy that i joined this community where i can express my passion with others who share the same one !
You rock guys !!

#2 January 28 2016

Die_Kapitan

Re: I don't know if i'm good at this but..

Hello and welcome to the forums.

#3 January 28 2016

arached

hello and welcome to the forums. I just wanted to say that you're right and i should go with what you love and not what others like specially in lebanon and i don't why but here the computer engineering field still too much underestimated and a lot of lebanese still doesn't consider it as important as all other engineering fields i know that because every time someone ask me what's my major and tell them software engineer they respond with the brilliant"ahhhhh i thought you're studying engineer something like civil or mechanical". Anyway sorry for the long talk but welcome to the forum and yes we rock

#4 January 29 2016

ironman

Girl, with a passion for computers? interesting
welcome Melissa.

#5 January 29 2016

Elied

Welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your stay.

#6 January 29 2016

Totoro

Welcome Geek!

#7 January 29 2016

Hybrid

Welcome around

#8 January 29 2016

Salloum

Melissa wrote:

Hey! My name is Mélissa, (to be honest i was quite surprised when i found out  that my username was not taken)

Considering the number of girls on this forum, this isn't surprising :)
Welcome!

#9 January 29 2016

MrClass

ok guys take it easy, we don't want to scare her off

now the real question:

do you game?

#10 January 29 2016

scorz

MrClass wrote:

now the real question:

do you game?

<sarcasm>The more real question: got code?</sarcasm>

#11 January 29 2016

Techlover

Welcome Melissa :)

#12 January 29 2016

az09za90za

welcome To the forum!

#13 January 30 2016

rolf

ironman wrote:

welcome Melissa.

Yes interesting, hopefully it will shake your stereotypes.
Sadly stereotypes often have some part of truth in them, there aren't that many women, compared to men, in this field.

Anyway welcome here (Melissa).

I've also heard that saying about spending your life bathing in the dim light of a monitor (back then CRT monitors made the whole thing even less attractive) but year after year I started realizing that I actually like it. But of course I want to do other things in my life too.

Since this is a geek forum whey don't you tell us about some geeky things too. We're listening :)

Last edited by rolf (January 30 2016)

#14 January 30 2016

bermudapineapple

The jokes are fine but make sure to keep them in check. They can very easily be (rightly) considered offensive.

Welcome, Melissa. So did you really always want to be a doctor or did you just think you wanted to be a doctor? Because from what I'm reading it seems like it's a case of the latter. But I'm glad you ended up doing what you loved; that's always a good thing in itself.

#15 January 30 2016

Melissa

Wow i'm impressed by the level of kindness and greetings! Thank you all , you rock ! ( yes again )

arached wrote:

hello and welcome to the forums. I just wanted to say that you're right and i should go with what you love and not what others like specially in lebanon and i don't why but here the computer engineering field still too much underestimated and a lot of lebanese still doesn't consider it as important as all other engineering fields

Yes, in lebanon if you're not a doctor or civil/mechanical engineer you're nothing.. Still not understanding this logic.

#16 January 30 2016

Melissa

MrClass wrote:

now the real question:

do you game?

Hahaha, yeah i used to game like a lot , but with this senior year i don't really play like i used to, only when i have some free time.
But let me tell you that my ultimate pleasure was in gaming when i was killing people in csgo ( who knew i was a girl) and watching them raging, priceless

#17 January 30 2016

Melissa

scorz wrote:
MrClass wrote:

now the real question:

do you game?

<sarcasm>The more real question: got code?</sarcasm>

I'm in love with coding too, it started when we took this first HTML class at school and then i wanted to do more than just creating a web which background is colored containing a simple picture..
So i learned some advanced stuff in HTML then took some online courses about C# and Python.
I solved the riddle with Python by the way, although it's really easy to do it analytically

#18 January 30 2016

Melissa

ironman wrote:

welcome Melissa.

Yeah i adore it !! thank you <3

rolf wrote:

Yes interesting, hopefully it will shake your stereotypes.
Sadly stereotypes often have some part of truth in them, there aren't that many women, compared to men, in this field.

Anyway welcome here (Melissa).

I've also heard that saying about spending your life bathing in the dim light of a monitor (back then CRT monitors made the whole thing even less attractive) but year after year I started realizing that I actually like it. But of course I want to do other things in my life too.

Since this is a geek forum whey don't you tell us about some geeky things too. We're listening :)

Stereotypes are -sadly- often right.Yea, i hear it like everyday : " You don't do the things girls should do" " You wanna work in something that will damage your eyes, glasses might look good on men but not on women"  " Why are you playing boy games ? " ect..
I'm used to it but  you see , honestly , i realized that i prefer spending all my life in front of my laptop than spending it memorizing medical books.. I love to be creative, finding ways to make things easier for people.. i don't know if you get me but i don't  think i'll find this in medecine.. ahh i talk a lot ! thank you for your welcome <3

#19 January 30 2016

Melissa

tt400 wrote:

Welcome, Melissa. So did you really always want to be a doctor or did you just think you wanted to be a doctor? Because from what I'm reading it seems like it's a case of the latter. But I'm glad you ended up doing what you loved; that's always a good thing in itself.

Honestly.. I don't know. Maybe because i had good grades at school so automatically i wanted to be a doctor? ( lebanese logic)
My future was pretty well planed, i just changed my mind really quickly i didn't want all these things anymore..
So it was a kiddy dream and giving up on it makes me a little disappointed in myself sometimes, but deep down i know it's not what i want.
It's stupid but i missed my computer while being too focused on having good grades in Biology.
Some people still tell me that Computer Engineering is not for girls, because people prefer to employ boys, so i really don't know and i'm kinda  lost

#20 January 31 2016

rolf

Melissa wrote:

Some people still tell me that Computer Engineering is not for girls, because people prefer to employ boys, so i really don't know and i'm kinda  lost

Thats not true. Maybe some people are like that (i dont know how many but I hope nobody) but then you dont want to work for them anyway.

#21 January 31 2016

hassansaleh31

Welcome to the forum

#22 January 31 2016

scorz

@meli  Currently, I've started working as a dev in a company where they use C# for webdev (EF/MVC/ajax/jquery/etc/etc).
If you're searching for a job let me know.
PS: We have "female" developers.

#23 January 31 2016

hexaroute

Welcome Melissa! Hope you'd be enjoying your stay!

#24 January 31 2016

Johnaudi

Welcome! Pretty common question here, what grade/university are you in at the moment?

scorz wrote:

PS: We have "female" developers.

I like how you quoted "female".

Last edited by Johnaudi (January 31 2016)

#25 January 31 2016

bermudapineapple

Melissa wrote:

It's stupid but i missed my computer while being too focused on having good grades in Biology.

Not stupid at all. I do the same from time to time! I am very attached to my computer even though it is just a tool.

Melissa wrote:

Firstly, there is nothing intrinsically masculine about computer engineering. Secondly, on the contrary, companies nowadays are specifically looking for women since there are very few of them in the industry. These people who are telling you that nonsense have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Not only are you doing something you love (which is the most important thing), but you are doing something that has amazing job prospects, especially because you are a girl.

Board footer