LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 4 2015

TrollFatGuy

Gaming Dilemma

Okay, so here's the thing: finals are coming up and after that I have 42 days of pure, no-holds-barred gaming.

I currently have The Witcher 3 on PC and I'm downloading Fallout 4. I personally love both of these games. The drawback is that my PC is a bit on the old side; I have an overclocked 7850 2GB version that can only run The Witcher 3 at lowest settings. I'm into these games for the experience mostly, so I can tolerate these settings (notice "tolerate" and not "enjoy").

What happened was that a week ago, my younger brother bought a PS4 with FIFA 16 (he saves money better than I do), and here's where I got confused. I was going to save up for a 970 or something like that but now I am thinking of buying both games on PS4. I currently have about 200,000 LBP and am sure that after christmas it will amount to something around 300,000 LBP.

So I need your advice on the following points:
Should I continue saving for the graphics card? (Note that I mainly use my PC to play League, DoTa2 and CS:GO which run just fine at max)
Or should I buy games?
Also, if I do buy games, do I buy The Witcher 3/Fallout 4, or do I buy some other games?

Thanks for the help.

#2 December 4 2015

hkbazzi

Re: Gaming Dilemma

Son... let me shed some light onto you

Buying a PS4 is for the living room on a TV laid back chilled out popcorn life is nice that way

WAIT it isnt!

1. there will be moments where u struggle with your controller especially with aiming raging and no one wants to hear your voice in the house and you wish you were playing on PC with a mouse and keyboard (which doesn't stop you from gaming on a TV with a controller, if you get an Nvidia Shield TV {if the TV is that far from your PC})
ugh the list goes on for drawbacks.

2. Buying PS4 games. That stuff aint cheap. you are worried about saving up 300000L.L that will get you max 4 or 5 games on PS4. If you are on PC you can buy games for much cheaper using sites like G2A, Instant-gaming.com, Kinguin (IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THEM). You can also get games for free if the game is mainly about single player (Torrents or abu 3ali your neighborhood DVD9 seller) IMO i wouldnt buy witcher 3 original since the jest of the game is in its story telling singleplayer rather torrent that stuff. Same story with Fallout 4.

3. You want to get a gtx 970 and you have a dated PC? make sure your CPU is at least an i3 (recommenderd i5). you dont want to go spend your money and you find out in the end that ur cpu cant hande the GPU in the first place. If you dont have a strong enough CPU you are stuck with 2 choices. sell your PC and save up more money and get a proper one on a budget price. or just go and get the PS4 if I was in your shoes if rather save up money on a new rig and wait longer without gaming coz the end result is much better.

4. Online community on PS4 is paid for, and its shit. you have all these little kids that nag at their parents to buy them a play station. The whole online comunity on PS4 is immature. PC are grown ups better players, less ragers.

Fix up a rig ditch the ps4

Last edited by hkbazzi (December 4 2015)

#3 December 4 2015

TrollFatGuy

I should have clarified on my position further, I apologize.

1. Exactly my point; I'm leaving the shooters (ie. if I ever get a COD or Battlefield game) for PC. Fallout 4 is an exception in my opinion as I'm getting it for the RPG element. I'm going to chill and play with some friends and what not.

2. I know... PS4 games are way too expensive, but it's too late, he got the console. Anyways, I was thinking something like ESO? I'm not sure. About G2A, only got a GTA V key from them and it was so worth it. And concerning torrents, I sometimes feel shy about mentioning them in posts like these, but both of The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are being torrented from Torrentday (awesome website). All my single-player games are like that.

3. My rig would easily handle the 970. I have an i5 3570K and a 750 W power supply. That should be enough.

4. "Abou Ali" threw in a US PS Plus card so I already have that. Which is kinda nice... I think.

And I am coming to the same conclusion you arrived to. Thanks for your input!!

#4 December 4 2015

scorz

Well I am not a fan of recent consoles so I can't really judge but anyway go for the 970.
You're gonna read on a lot of forum nagging about the 970 being 3.5GB not 4GB VRAM but trust me on that, the card rocks!
My CPU is almost 5 years old and can handle it (i7 2600k), I play my games(GTAV, Mad Max, MGSV, watch dogs..) on max setting without lag (1080p) even though the card is on PCIE 2.0 because sandy bridge are not into 3.0
PS: I have the asus strix dc2oc

#5 December 4 2015

Anthony2000

just get a used card and save some $$$

#6 December 4 2015

Die_Kapitan

Get an R9 290 instead, you can get one for like $220 from Newegg and ship it to Lebanon, it matches the GTX 970's performance and has 0.5GB more VRAM for ~$100 cheaper. You also get better DX12 and Vulkan support, not to mention LiquidVR if you ever want to get an Oculus Rift or an HTC Vive.

#7 December 5 2015

vengeance666

Definitely go for the card. You will regret those PS4 games later when you are done with them, but the card stays there as long as you intend to use it so way more cost efficient.

And I'm definitely not a fan of consoles, never was even tho I owned one in the past... It's just PC is my thing and I wouldn't prefer a console over it.

#8 December 5 2015

TrollFatGuy

Okay. You guys convinced me. The question now is should I go for a 290 or a used 970? If so, how can I get either? Thanks, yet again.

#9 December 5 2015

Tech Guru

@TrollFatGuy

Check Your PM / Mate

#10 December 5 2015

bermudapineapple

Yup, go with PC gaming. Don't buy it from anywhere else other than in Lebanon since it might take up to a month and a half for it to arrive.

#11 December 6 2015

Georges00

Get everything from Lebanon. Pcandparts.
You dont want to pay absurd custom fees or go through warranty and have to send to send it back. You will pay way more.

#12 December 7 2015

Satfoun
Banned

Dont go for the R9 290 and domt get it from abroad
U wanna buy a graphics card get t from pcandparts.....even if it costs you triple the price from amazon
I got an Asus r9 290....not to mention hw much it heats up...it turned out to be defective after 3 weeks of usage....i loved thecard and everything bt what to say :|
I returend it like after 3months...and i got a 87% refund of its original price and they cobered the shipping from within the US
I got ASUS STRIX GTX 980 from pcandoarts...its listed for 770$ now. I have it for 3months and a half....and i really love it...it temps never get above 62C
I woyld recommend gettin a graphics card if u have the compatibke cpu and psu and mobo
But as i can see ure a fan of dota.....consider gettin the other games on PS4...heik heik khayak jeba....w u both split the price of new games. And sharin games between friends
The witcher 3, maxed out on my 3k$ build....and cant keep constant 60fps in some areas lol
Passed 58hrs and still lvl 26...a game id highly recommend it
Wait for christmas there might be some offers
PC masterrace

#13 December 8 2015

Die_Kapitan

Satfoun wrote:

Dont go for the R9 290 and domt get it from abroad
U wanna buy a graphics card get t from pcandparts.....even if it costs you triple the price from amazon
I got an Asus r9 290....not to mention hw much it heats up...it turned out to be defective after 3 weeks of usage....i loved thecard and everything bt what to say :|

You not doing your homework before purchasing a card doesn't make the GPU bad, ASUS are know to have shitty AMD coolers, especially their DCUII line, where they just slapped the same cooler that they used on Nvidia cards on their AMD cards, the copper barely made any contact with the GPU. The Sapphire Tri-X version, for example, doesn't get hotter than 75 degrees under full load.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (December 8 2015)

#14 December 8 2015

Satfoun
Banned

I owned the card and i can confirm the problem was not with the cooling
I did all my researches and i read about that, however the cooling was real great..max temps were 72, and only once in silent mode it got to 78C. I owned the card and monitored the temps, not every card is the same, and its related to the weather in each place. i had it during july. But comparing to the gtx980 its quite warm
My pooint of this is not to get a graphics card abroad, IN CASE the card turned defective, he'll face some problems
I luved the ASUS r9 290, i luv it more than my gtx980. However if he has any relative or a person who keeps travelin in between, then yeah let him get the card
He can get this week, the strix gtx970 from pcandparts for 400$

#15 February 12 2016

Marduk

amd gpu arent that bad compared to nvidea gpu considering the price, so pick carefully, if i was your place i would have gotten an amd gpu probably an r9 290 or would probably save for something even better considering the money obtained from selling the old gpu, and if necessary would upgrade the cpu but it looks like your cpu can handle things just fine for the time being.

#16 February 12 2016

Die_Kapitan

Marduk wrote:

amd gpu arent that bad compared to nvidea gpu

But muh Nvidia circlejerk.

Board footer