LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 21 2015

Eli_382

PS4 Repair Shop

Hey fellas,

For the short version skip to "Long story short,"
For the long version read on.

A while back, a couple pins inside the HDMI socket/port of my PS4 were broken, and the console was no longer outputting any video via HDMI.

I couldn't find any repair shop that had a replacement for the HDMI port (This was a couple months after the worldwide release of the PS4)

A guy I know who repairs PC motherboards and a soldering expert offered to try and repair it by replacing the PS4 HDMI socket with a generic HDMI socket. The console was only capable of playing video at 420p. 720p, 1080i and 1080p were out of the question.

So I ordered a PS4 compatible HDMI socket from Aliexpress, which came after a 50 long days. The same guy soldered it for me, and voila the PS4 outputs 1080p beautifully.

My joy lasted for a couple months. The console stopped outputting video again. However this time no pins are broken in the HDMI socket.
I took it to the same guy again, who checked all the soldering points and couldn't find any problems.

I decided to take it to a shop that sells consoles and co, and that does repair as well. This time around they had replacement sockets. I left it there and a couple of days later I checked with them, and the guy tells me the hdmi port is not damaged, it is the board.
To be honest I wasn't sold on that. It seemed as if he opened it up, checked that the socket is ok, and concluded it's the board.

Long story short,

My PS4 doesn't output video.

The HDMI socket was broken and I had it replaced once before.

It worked for a few months but then video stopped once again; however no pins are broken in the HDMI socket.

I am looking for a trustworthy repair shop anywhere in Leb whom I can trust with my PS4.

Would appreciate any input.

Cheers.

#2 October 21 2015

chosen2k

Re: PS4 Repair Shop

Sony has a repair center located in Sin el Fil. Their policy is you give them the console, pay a difference and get a refurbished one.
However with your case I'm not sure they will accept a PS4 that was tampered with you can play it stupid and try your luck. And be ready to shell out next to 200$

#3 October 22 2015

Eli_382

Thank you for the reply.
I'll leave this as a last resort in the hope that someone here might know a good repair shop.

#4 October 23 2015

Tech Guru

Go to Nino Store - Mala Area

#5 October 23 2015

Eli_382

Tech Guru wrote:

Don't know that shop, but will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info.

#6 November 10 2015

Salloum

Tech Guru wrote:

Second this. Been dealing with them ever since I can remember. Good store allround. Reasonable prices.

#7 November 10 2015

MrElie

the guy who told you the motherboard is wrong might be right. if you used the ps4 for a long time and for some reason the soldering melted a bit for some reason it could cause a short circuit and the ps4 board fried based on that.

my recommendation is first to stop tryin to take it to repair shops coz u will only make it worse.

take it to Sony which they have proper equipment to run diagnostics on the board and see what is failing.

i wish u the best of luck

#8 November 11 2015

Salloum

MrElie wrote:

the guy who told you the motherboard is wrong might be right. if you used the ps4 for a long time and for some reason the soldering melted a bit for some reason it could cause a short circuit and the ps4 board fried based on that.

my recommendation is first to stop tryin to take it to repair shops coz u will only make it worse.

take it to Sony which they have proper equipment to run diagnostics on the board and see what is failing.

i wish u the best of luck

For what it's worth, I had a Sony TV that wouldn't boot no matter what. It spent months at the Sony Center without them ever figuring out anything. Later on (like a year) I had already bought a new TV, but a friend saw my old TV and took it to a place (I can't remember where or the name). They fixed it in a week and I paid like 100,000 LBP I think.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is "el sherke" don't always have the answer. More often than not, they're just glorified electricians.

#9 November 11 2015

Georges00

I think sony has a policy that you pay a fee and they give you a refurbished play station. I read this somewhere.

Last edited by Georges00 (November 11 2015)

#10 November 12 2015

Eli_382

I ordered a couple HDMI sockets from aliexpress, same as the one that was soldered on it the first time I repaired it. I'm gonna give it a try in the same way I did back then. If that doesn't repair it, or it ends up working for a couple weeks then die on me again, I'll try Sony.
If their charge turns out to be too high then buying a refurb or even a used console is more logical.

Anyway, thanks guys for your replies. Will let you know how things end up.

Cheers

Board footer