LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 2 2015

BetterGoogleIt

Copying game files from a PC to another?

Hi, my friend and I bought the same game on steam (Rocket League) he was able to finish the whole download while I am stuck with my slow internet, is it possible to copy the files from his PC and put them in mine and play the game normally? And if it is possible, how?

#2 September 2 2015

NAM

Re: Copying game files from a PC to another?

i think you have to copy all of his steam (not only the game files) since steam has download verification in another folder .. so if you only take the game files steam will not recognize the files and will re-download the whole thing again ... there is an option where you verify your files in steam but not sure if it will work properly with only the game files

#3 September 2 2015

Doom

BetterGoogleIt wrote:

Hi, my friend and I bought the same game on steam (Rocket League) he was able to finish the whole download while I am stuck with my slow internet, is it possible to copy the files from his PC and put them in mine and play the game normally? And if it is possible, how?

From what I know,you can do that easily by copying the files to your steam directory then verify game files,I don't know if it's still the same case today.

#4 September 2 2015

ironman

Guys, there is an option in steam client to backup games, so you can specify an external HDD and it will copy the needed files, same applies to restore.
No need for manual Copy Paste scenario

#5 September 2 2015

Kazouza

After you log in to steam on your friend's account (on his PC ofc), click on steam in top left menu bar then select backup and restore game.
What you need to do is first backup the game on a USB or external, then you log in on your PC with your own account go through the same steps and choose restore instead of backup. It's somewhat really simple once you figure it out.

Edit: 1 minute late with my post

Last edited by Kazouza (September 2 2015)

Board footer