LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 October 5 2015

H.S

Re: LG G4 in Lebanon

I don't listen to what the salesman say, and especially Lebanese. The official LG website states that it does void your warranty, I don't see why LG Lebanon won't.

LG wrote:

Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty.
As we cannot guarantee the proper operation of our hardware with custom software, we are not able to maintain the full scope of warranty for your device after you have unlocked the bootloader.
Because of that we have a responsibility to let you know that defects which may result from, or were caused by custom device-software may not be covered by LG warranty.

It can negatively affect DRM's behavior for some applications.

LG wrote:

Unlocking the phone will disable certain functions of your phone.
When unlocking the bootloader, the DRM protection of your phone will become untrusted.
Some applications which require DRM protection may not work anymore or block certain functions due to this untrusted DRM.
Common examples are applications which offer download/streaming of paid multimedia content like music and movies.

It can make your device prone to malware and viruses.

LG wrote:

Unlocking the bootloader may make your device become vulnerable.
Using custom ROM may lead to monetary damages due to viruses, malwares, and leakage of personal information from hacking. You will be responsible for all such damages that occur after unlocking the bootloader.

It is up to personal preferences, if you see that you can further enjoy your device when unlocking and using custom roms, then go for it. I always prefer not to root my device. For the minor issue I was having, a folder's name constantly displaying in one language, it can be renamed, I just found it weird that you have to manually rename it.

#102 October 5 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Well all Android brands will tell you bad magic and speels will come upon your device if you root it, but it never did :)
It's like Microsoft saying pirated Windows can destroy your PC, but it never did ;)
Sony used to say that your PS2 will burn if you use modchip, but thousands of people did it and their PS2 never got burn.
Of course legal brands will say anything against rooting,pirating,hacking or cracking their devices so in the eyes of the justice they are clean if you know what I mean, as in some countries piracy is considered as criminal as stealing a whole bank

#103 October 5 2015

Salloum

The thing about rooting is giving 'root' access to the end user... as most of you know that's the admin account. Anyone can do anything at that point, even write in the /system folder. That's why people discourage it. But as long as you know what you're doing and don't download everything and anything (could expose a virus) you should be fine! Oh and even though manufacturers say root voids the warranty, I usually simply reload stock ROM and go into warranty. I know there's a counter that is tripped when you root but in Lebanon they don't know how to check it. At CTC at least....

#104 October 11 2015

H.S

Anyone seen this case locally? I didn't search for it yet.

#105 October 11 2015

nosense

H.S wrote:

I still haven't found a single case in any shop around me

#106 October 11 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Why putting a cover to this device?
The advantages of the G4 design are:
-Leather feeling in hand
-Back cover can be changed any time, so if you ever get scratches you just change it in contrary to s6,note5,m9...

#107 October 11 2015

H.S

aliessayli2 wrote:
H.S wrote:

I still haven't found a single case in any shop around me

I got one when I purchased the phone from the same shop, it is protecting the phone perfectly but it is not precisely a crystal clear case. It has a grainy effect to it's back. The reason why I want this particular case, other than the good reviews is it's dust caps at the bottom.

vegetaleb wrote:

Why putting a cover to this device?
The advantages of the G4 design are:
-Leather feeling in hand
-Back cover can be changed any time, so if you ever get scratches you just change it in contrary to s6,note5,m9...

It is compatible with both covers, I heard the leather cover will wear off. It adds a good rubbery grip when using the plastic cover. It keeps the charging and headphone ports clean from dust and it keeps the chrome coated frame in a perfect condition.

#108 October 12 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Talking about the back covers, do you know if they brought spare leather cover at LG Lebanon?
I am thinking of getting the bordeau one, the black I have is in pristine condition but it's not as ''lively'' as the burgundy one

#109 October 12 2015

H.S

No idea, I'll give them a phone call soon.

#110 October 15 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Good news chaps!
The LG G4 will be the 1st phone to get Marshmallow update, supposedly starting next week.
It's said to greatly improve battery life

#111 October 15 2015

nosense

vegetaleb wrote:

Good news chaps!
The LG G4 will be the 1st phone to get Marshmallow update, supposedly starting next week.

yea I saw the news today it's really great ,  although I got a rooted phone with titanium backup,  can I restore on marshmallow without root?

Last edited by nosense (October 15 2015)

#112 October 15 2015

Doom

aliessayli2 wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

Good news chaps!

yea I saw the news today it's really great ,  although I got a rooted phone with titanium backup,  can I restore on marshmallow without root?

You can't without root,try helium,it's great.

#113 October 15 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Yes of course you can, just flash a KDZ marshmallow file when they are out, anyway custom roms based on them will follow pretty quick.
If your phone has unlocked bootloader it will stay but not the TWRP recovery if you flash KDZ, you just have to follow TWRP install steps for G4

Last edited by vegetaleb (October 15 2015)

#114 October 15 2015

nosense

vegetaleb wrote:

LOL
Yes of course you can, just flash a KDZ marshmallow file when they are out, anyway custom roms based on them will follow pretty quick

I know how to flash a kdz but my question was about restoring my apps and settings with titanium backup without root, I don't remember it being possible,  anyway root won't take long to be available correct?

#115 October 15 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

If your phone has unlocked bootloader it will stay but not the TWRP recovery if you flash KDZ, you just have to follow TWRP install steps for G4 and you will get back the root

Last edited by vegetaleb (October 15 2015)

#116 October 15 2015

Salloum

aliessayli2 wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

LOL
Yes of course you can, just flash a KDZ marshmallow file when they are out, anyway custom roms based on them will follow pretty quick

I know how to flash a kdz but my question was about restoring my apps and settings with titanium backup without root, I don't remember it being possible,  anyway root won't take long to be available correct?

You can backup and restore apps without root using MyBackup Pro. TB requires root.

#117 October 15 2015

nosense

Doom wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

Good news chaps!

it says it requires root in the playstore description

#118 October 15 2015

nosense

Salloum wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

LOL

You can backup and restore apps without root using MyBackup Pro. TB requires root.

thanks I will check it out

#119 October 15 2015

Doom

aliessayli2 wrote:
Doom wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

Root only required if you don't use a computer.Trust me I have used it to backup my apps+data on my rooted tab 2 to restore it on my g4.Very easy and fast.

Last edited by Doom (October 15 2015)

#120 October 15 2015

nosense

Doom wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:
Doom wrote:

Root only required if you don't use a computer.Trust me I have used it to backup my apps+data on my rooted tab 2 to restore it on my g4.Very easy and fast.

aha okay I will give it a try when I get home,  thanks!

#121 October 15 2015

Doom

aliessayli2 wrote:
Doom wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

aha okay I will give it a try when I get home,  thanks!

No problem,make sure you enable the option to backup data for big games/apps in case you have some.

#122 October 15 2015

AVOlio

What android version does the G4 come when i buy it?
Also, how is your experience with it, any good? I'm a note user.

One last thing,
What is the purpose of rooting, flashing custom roms etc.. What is the gain, what sort of features will be added?
And which one of those features are you personally using after you rooted your phone now?

#123 October 15 2015

Doom

AVOlio wrote:

One last thing,
What is the purpose of rooting, flashing custom roms etc.. What is the gain, what sort of features will be added?
And which one of those features are you personally using after you rooted your phone now?

Mine came with 5.1.With custom roms you get no bloatware(faster+better battery life)plus stock android and with root you gain lots of customization capabilities and special apps(hacking and cheating and stuff).I haven't installed a custom rom yet because current software has everything I need and fast.

Last edited by Doom (October 15 2015)

#124 October 15 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

You get also Titanium backup, Advertising block apps, sound quality and volume boosting using Dolby or Viper4android...

#125 October 15 2015

Salloum

AVOlio wrote:

One last thing,

Root is great. If you root your device and install Xposed, you don't even need custom ROMs. You can mod anything in the phone with this. However, it really depends what kind of person you are. Personally when I used Android I only rooted and played around with devices that I don't use on a daily basis. I like my daily driver to be as stable as possible.

Board footer