LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 July 10 2016

jsaade

Re: Feedback for Connect

Sodetel and connect are totally different companies.
You should check with connect support.
I agree their wifi signal is weird that is why I got a repeater

#52 July 10 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

jsaade wrote:

Sodetel and connect are totally different companies.
You should check with connect support.
I agree their wifi signal is weird that is why I got a repeater

I have the Connect from Sodetel.
Which repeater are you using? The Tplink WA850 ?
If yes the range is wide enough even with walls?

#53 July 19 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Here my results from Kornet Chehwan, it's really not bad (for Lebanon)

5488035491.png

#54 July 21 2016

xAzarian

vegetaleb wrote:

Here my results from Kornet Chehwan, it's really not bad (for Lebanon)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5488035491.png

You do realize you're testing with the Connect servers? Try testing to Marseille Orange's server and see the difference. I have suffered a lot with Connect this year. They were really great when they started you know, like all other Lebanese companies. Every time I call their support staff they keep telling me it's the location of the Connect router despite that it was working really good 2 years ago. They keep promising and redirecting me to other IT guys and calls may last for 30mins or more with them for nothing. Only when you threaten to stop your subscription they will magically fix your 10kb/s connection.

The day DSL becomes available where I live I would not hesitate to directly unsubscribe from this expensive and unreliable connection... They even deleted all the posts from users complaining on Facebook and they disabled posts on their walls. No need to explain why they did that.

#55 August 1 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Are Connect (and Sodetel Connect) faking the download/upload count?
I mean I am not yet at half the month and it says 54% of usage already done while I never ever download more than a total of 50mb before midnight.
My parents iphones have no been updates nor the laptop macbook (I disabled auto-updates)
So how the heck they counted 4.6gb download when it should be at most 2.5gb?
Could they count from my quotas if I reached the max ''free'' limited night downloads and they are not telling me?
If so their ''free'' night traffic is total BS because I rarely download more than 1gb

#56 August 3 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Ok so the ''unlimited'' night traffic is Limited to a total of 30gb per month, so you can just download 1gb per night (no way to download a game)
Another thing I didn't like with the network itself is that when there are no electricity in the Metn area one or 2 of their regional antennas stop to work resulting in a loss of speed and reception (3 leds instead of 5)

#57 August 4 2016

jsaade

vegetaleb wrote:

Ok so the ''unlimited'' night traffic is Limited to a total of 30gb per month, so you can just download 1gb per night (no way to download a game)
Another thing I didn't like with the network itself is that when there are no electricity in the Metn area one or 2 of their regional antennas stop to work resulting in a loss of speed and reception (3 leds instead of 5)

yes, the 5mbps package would increase that "unlimited" to 90GB

#58 August 6 2016

MonarchyS

I recently got a modem from Connect to use in my house in Kleiat.
I'm getting 4/5 signal strength which honestly is rather impressive for the region. It's more or less stable. Getting the full 5 mpbs.
The ping isn't very stable though, and when it is it hovers around 150 ms on europe servers and ~300ms on us servers. Sometimes it can have latencies up to 2k on google servers (Oo) thankfully it does not stay that high very long. Definitely not suitable for proper gaming.
One issue with their modems is that it is not compatible with the latest macOS. They blame Apple for it instead of fixing the issue. I bypassed the problem by simply connecting my own router by LAN cable to the modem and using the router for WiFi. Anyway overall it's a pretty nice service, especially since it doesn't take 2 months minimum to install (looking at you DSL). As for the FUP, I guess I'll discover the annoyances in the next few weeks.

#59 August 6 2016

xAzarian

MonarchyS wrote:

I'm getting 4/5 signal strength which honestly is rather impressive for the region. It's more or less stable. Getting the full 5 mpbs.
The ping isn't very stable though, and when it is it hovers around 150 ms on europe servers and ~300ms on us servers. Sometimes it can have latencies up to 2k on google servers (Oo) thankfully it does not stay that high very long. Definitely not suitable for proper gaming.
One issue with their modems is that it is not compatible with the latest macOS. They blame Apple for it instead of fixing the issue. I bypassed the problem by simply connecting my own router by LAN cable to the modem and using the router for WiFi. Anyway overall it's a pretty nice service, especially since it doesn't take 2 months minimum to install (looking at you DSL). As for the FUP, I guess I'll discover the annoyances in the next few weeks.

2 years ago I was just like you. I thought that Connect is the best ISP ever. Now I'm still with Connect because I have no other solution.
The moment DSL becomes available I'd cancel my subscription the same day even if it takes 2 months or more for my application.
I just have 2 tips for you:
1)Never let them convince you that the problem is from your side. It is always from their side.
2)Avoid as much as possible to fall in their trap when they tell you please change the position of the machine or whatever the hell they suggest for more than 30min on the phone. Just threaten them to cancel the subscription if they don't fix it.

I'm telling you all this out of personal experience. You can check my old posts here, I was really happy with them at the beginning. Now, you can check my recent posts here and also check their facebook page in case they haven't deleted the tons of negative comments from customer on their "sponsored" posts.

#60 August 7 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

MonarchyS wrote:

I bridged the Connect modem with a Tplink Wifi router and it's very stable, but as you said there are some time in the day (but more at night) where you have strange hicups with internet, another thing is that it's way faster to connect to Emule servers than ADSL 4mb/s!!
It's about 1sec vs 4 secs, it's not important but weird

#61 September 3 2016

Silentcontrol

is connect a good connection for gaming all i care about is the ping and it's stability

#62 September 9 2016

DG

Last time I used it (a few months ago) the ping was stable most of the time (no request timed out replies) but it was averaging 150ms in-game.

Last edited by DG (September 9 2016)

#63 November 3 2016

Silentcontrol

i am using connect i get 4/5 bars but my ping is 300+ on 8.8.8.8 any ideas on how can i drop it ?

#64 November 25 2016

MAD

connect have high pings nothing you can do from your side and they will not help you
they will tell you that they just have high ping already tried...
but recently a friend of mine told me that they have a new plan for gaming,

any information regarding that?

#65 February 1 2017

LifeEngineer

Guys, what do you think about this new package Connect is presenting?:
http://www.connect.net.lb/Home#cards2

Check the "Unlimited Beyond postpaid" (Effective Feb 1st):

Go Beyond your connection limits! Unlimited* Beyond postpaid plan offers 45 GB per month with a speed of up to 5 Mbps in addition to a free SoHo CPE.

Extra Consumption:
$1.25/500MB

Features:
•    Instant Plug & Play internet!
•    Free SoHo CPE
•    Add a Biscuit (Mini Router) for a one-time fee of $100 and no additional monthly charges
•    Free Night Traffic from midnight till 6:00 am**
•    Bill Control
•    Unlimited Internet at a throttled speed in case the invoice cap is reached.

Requirements:
•    $100 cash payment on account
•    Signed and stamped bank domiciliation form.

All prices are subject to VAT.
*Terms and Conditions apply.
**Fair Use Policy is applied on free night traffic.

I called them and got the additional details:
-Free night download is limited to 60GB monthly.
-Day download is limited to 45GB monthly.
-Whenever you exceed any, the speed will be decreased down to 0.5mbps the remaining of the month.

Do you think it's suitable for gaming?! I know ping is the criteria here, but usually the higher the speed, the better the ping.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (February 1 2017)

#66 February 1 2017

DG

@LifeEngineer,

I have to disagree with you. Your subscription speed has nothing to do with ping quality. You can subscribe to the best plan with an ISP who's overall bandwidth graphs hit the limits during peak usage times and you will suffer from high pings and perhaps even dropped packets.
Moreover if the ISP assigns you to a microwave link (as opposed to a fiber optics link) you will also get a higher latency.

#67 February 1 2017

LifeEngineer

@DG

I know and that's why i stated it! They are not in direct relation but they are somehow/somewhat related!

For example, at my house, I have a regular cable internet:
During normal hours and before hitting the FUP, I have like 200ms to 300ms ping to Assetto corsa servers online on my PS4 at full 1mbps.
Once I hit the FUP limit (500MB unfortunately), the speed is cut to 0.5mbps and my ping go up to 500ms!

#68 February 1 2017

ManOwaRR

200ms/300ms :( wow just wow , i'm on 80ms and im finding it hard for competitive play

#69 February 2 2017

LifeEngineer

ManOwaRR wrote:

200ms/300ms :( wow just wow , i'm on 80ms and im finding it hard for competitive play

Haha!
I tried once on 4g+ (hotspot from my phone) and played Battlefield 1! And just WOW! It felt completely like a different game!
Usually i shot people and fell like after a second or completely lagged on me! At that instance, things were nearly instantaneous!
Too bad it sucked like 300MB in like 45min so I couldn't afford to keep using it! But I get what you're saying!

#70 February 26 2017

xazbrat

Not really about their service, but I have seen some outside publications praise this ad campaign by them.  Pretty clever, check it out

Harlem Shake Ice Bucket Challenge

#71 July 14 2018

DG

Hey guys, can any Connect subscriber be nice enough to tell me what ping/latency they get to Europe ? It's been a while since I last used Connect and I'm checking to see if there are any changes worth mentioning.

I am basically interested in the ping when playing WoW on a European server as my current Ogero DSL (2Mbps unlimited plan is giving me a headache at the moment)... Myself and all my neighbors in the building (Ogero subscribers) keep getting disconnected from the Internet (only the last modem light goes off) and Ogero insist that there is nothing wrong at their end.

Last edited by DG (July 20 2018)

#72 July 17 2018

Azachariou

DG it might be a problem with the cabinet you're connected to. One of the lines in the cabinet i'm connected to is bad and internet on the entire thing is bad. Go 500m down the street and everything's perfect.

#73 July 20 2018

DG

Could be, but if that were the case DSL stats (SNR, Attenuation, Errors, etc...) would reflect this.

Board footer