LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 July 16 2014

AvoK95

Re: BSOD twice a day

Tarek wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

@Johnaudi
Can you tell us your full specs in detail?

Try running OCCT PSU stress test and see if it'll BSOD right after you start it. If it does, remove your GPU and try again, if it does again, we know it's not the GPU, nor is it the PSU being too small for it.

Can you try a different PSU? I had such problems when my PSU was failing.

the OP is @aliessayli2

Fixed! ^^

#27 July 16 2014

nosense

Johnaudi wrote:

The most obvious reason is that your power supply is broken down due to the electricity blackouts (unless you've got a UPS installed), and the power outage is dropping, cause your computer to switch from its main GPU to the Intel one, this will lead to a problem concerning switching the graphics which will cause you to BSOD.

Have you every gotten "Your GPU Failed" or "Your GPU stopped working correctly".

I have a UPS installed so the sudden shutdowns are rare, also I bought this PSU not more than 6 months ago so it's not that old.
As I recall I never had "Your GPU Failed" .

DNA wrote:

Ntsokrnl.exe is the windows kernel main component, it isn't related to ram nor GPU memory "Bill Gates", anyway if your windows kernel is crashing then it probably have something to do with a bad driver or you have installed something that conflicts with windows(have you installed windows updates?) that basically is the problem considering that your RAM is not faulty as you said.
install windows updates and try to find out which is the driver or program you installed prior to BSOD happening, if it doesn't work please upload the minidump for me to see it

My windows is not genuine so no I don't install windows updates, I will upload the minidump file and post the link here

AvoK95 wrote:

@aliessayli2
Can you tell us your full specs in detail?

Try running OCCT PSU stress test and see if it'll BSOD right after you start it. If it does, remove your GPU and try again, if it does again, we know it's not the GPU, nor is it the PSU being too small for it.

Can you try a different PSU? I had such problems when my PSU was failing.

I will run the test and post the results

my specs are :
Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz    40 °C
            Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
            4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            Intel Corporation DH61WW (LGA1155 CPU 1)    35 °C
        Graphics
            E1940 (1360x768@60Hz)
            1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (MSI)    32 °C
        Storage
            465GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA)    35 °C
            465GB Western Digital WD My Passport 070A USB Device (USB (SATA))    33 °C
        Optical Drives
            WD Virtual CD 070A USB Device
            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 ATA Device
        Audio
            High Definition Audio Device

#28 July 16 2014

nosense

OCCT test for power supply gave error after like 3 minutes , then I restarted it and the same happened , it doesn't say what's the error , just (stopped error detected)
I am starting to sense my PC is fucked up

Edit : test for cpu says error detected on core #3 ( I searched online for this and they suggest that CPU voltage may be unstable, maybe low)

Last edited by nosense (July 16 2014)

#29 July 16 2014

Tarek
Banned

How about the most obvious troubleshooting: Try a different PSU for a day

#30 July 16 2014

nosense

Tarek wrote:

How about the most obvious troubleshooting: Try a different PSU for a day

It would be obvious if I had a different PSU but I don't , I threw away the old one

#31 July 16 2014

AvoK95

Run the same test with the GPU removed. As Tarek mentioned above. The errors are related to memory. So it's either RAM or VRAM. Since Memtest gave no error, you might be facing a VRAM or an Nvidia driver issue. Try it without the GPU, if it runs fine, plug it back, and use DDU to uninstall the driver, then download the latest from Nvidia.

If all fails, run Memtest for an entire night to check for errors more thoroughly, if you still have no errors, download and install drivers from the board manufacturer's website. .

Also try to open a cmd as admin and type "sfc /scannow" to check for corrupted system files.

#32 July 16 2014

Tarek
Banned

AvoK95 wrote:

Run the same test with the GPU removed. As Tarek mentioned above. The errors are related to memory. So it's either RAM or VRAM. Since Memtest gave no error, you might be facing a VRAM or an Nvidia driver issue. Try it without the GPU, if it runs fine, plug it back, and use DDU to uninstall the driver, then download the latest from Nvidia.

If all fails, run Memtest for an entire night to check for errors more thoroughly, if you still have no errors, download and install drivers from the board manufacturer's website. .

Also try to open a cmd as admin and type "sfc /scannow" to check for corrupted system files.

The pc ran all day on safe mode aka on built in intel gpu .. So i doubt it's a psu issue but you can never be sure unless you try a different PSU

#33 July 16 2014

DNA

It's impossible to be a vram issue, vram issues causes Artifacts and display corruption and by the time you get a BSOD your display should be obviously corrupted. it ran well on safe mode because the conflicting driver is not loaded.
never heard of that OCCT test how does it test PSUs? or CPU cores? you can't test a failure on a core since when that happens you get a BSOD

Last edited by DNA (July 16 2014)

#34 July 16 2014

nosense

DNA wrote:

It's impossible to be a vram issue, vram issues causes Artifacts and display corruption and by the time you get a BSOD your display should be obviously corrupted. it ran well on safe mode because the conflicting driver is not loaded.
never heard of that OCCT test how does it test PSUs? or CPU cores? you can't test a failure on a core since when that happens you get a BSOD

when testing a psu it applies a stress on cpu and gpu to max memory (not constantly max)

#35 July 16 2014

AvoK95

If the dedicated GPU was plugged it, safe mode would still run on it. I think he should run off the Intel GPU on normal mode for a whole day.

#36 July 16 2014

Tarek
Banned

AvoK95 wrote:

If the dedicated GPU was plugged it, safe mode would still run on it. I think he should run off the Intel GPU on normal mode for a whole day.

This actually not true .
Only the very basic and very needed drivers are initialized during safe boot

#37 July 16 2014

AvoK95

Tarek wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

This actually not true .
Only the very basic and very needed drivers are initialized during safe boot

I know, what I meant was, it won't be using the intel GPU. The VRAM of the dedicated graphics card would still be in use.

#38 July 16 2014

DNA

aliessayli2 wrote:
DNA wrote:

when testing a psu it applies a stress on cpu and gpu to max memory (not constantly max)

Yea i know that, but how does it differentiate between an unstable cpu gpu and a faulty psu? maybe it reads the 12v rail and when it detects a dip it registers as PSU error, well honestly that's the shitiest way to test a PSU.
what you have is 100% a driver or service error

#39 July 18 2014

nosense

Update on my case : Well as I said I bought a 'new' Ram , memtest didn't show any errors but for some reason when I removed that ram and replaced it , No more Bsod and no more game crashes !! Bf3 used to crash every 10 minutes now it's perfectly normal.
I think that the seller ripped me off so I returned it and demanded a Kingston replacement (The one he gave me wasn't a known brand)

#40 July 19 2014

Tarek
Banned

Most of the time BSOD is ram related

#41 July 19 2014

AvoK95

Brands don't matter much in RAM. As the chips on the pcb can be different. What shops do is sell used damaged RAM and put them in the second DIMM. This way you'll use up your good RAM and a part of the bad RAM which isn't bad yet. But in your case you've used the bad part, thus giving you a blue screen.

#42 July 19 2014

nosense

AvoK95 wrote:

Brands don't matter much in RAM. As the chips on the pcb can be different. What shops do is sell used damaged RAM and put them in the second DIMM. This way you'll use up your good RAM and a part of the bad RAM which isn't bad yet. But in your case you've used the bad part, thus giving you a blue screen.

I know they don't matter much that's why I bought it in the first place and didn't care, but after what happened I didn't want him to replace it with the same brand thus I requested kingston

Lebanese shops have various methods of deceiving , I am not buying things from a place other than pcandparts again

Last edited by nosense (July 19 2014)

#43 August 1 2014

nosense

Okay so I am back , as I said I got a new memory, the problem vanished and the problem returned after some time
I formatted and got windows 8 now , installed drivers and updated my bios
now I am getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD consistently every now and then

#44 August 1 2014

nosense

Here are some stats from CPUZ

Unstitled.png

Uanstitled.png

Last edited by nosense (August 1 2014)

#45 August 1 2014

nosense

Memtest shows like a 15000 errors in 1 pass , this is a new ram how can this happen ?
Note that I used to have this exact ram before and I thought it got faulty because of the errors but now this is the same ram(kingston ddr3 1333) but a new one with the same errors !!
Both are frompcandparts but how much odds is that both are faulty and not my motherboard is the faulty one

EDIT:

never mind I am an idiot
I was using the old faulty one this whole time thinking this is the new one
In my defense they both look the same exactly, now I checked the serial numbers and realized that I should take a rest because something is wrong with me lol

Last edited by nosense (August 1 2014)

#46 August 1 2014

AvoK95

Was the RAM sealed or open box? If it wasn't sealed demand a sealed one. If it was sealed, RMA your PSU. This is in case the problem returns.

#47 August 1 2014

nosense

AvoK95 wrote:

Was the RAM sealed or open box? If it wasn't sealed demand a sealed one. If it was sealed, RMA your PSU. This is in case the problem returns.

it was sealed with warranty I can demand a new one if this one turns out to be same as the old one in the near future

#48 August 1 2014

hussam

On the topic of bad ram sticks, http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/
Basically with this driver, the kernel allocates bad addresses for kernel use once it finds them but never actually uses them (just reserves them).

#49 August 2 2014

AvoK95

hussam wrote:

Basically with this driver, the kernel allocates bad addresses for kernel use once it finds them but never actually uses them (just reserves them).

This is cool! Is it available for Windows?

#50 August 2 2014

nosense

AvoK95 wrote:
hussam wrote:

This is cool! Is it available for Windows?

only linux, there's no way windows will let you do that

Board footer