LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 9 2014

mike1

Mobile apps and games developing

Hello,

I really don't want to study abroad, so I visit some universities here in Lebanon, but I couldn't find any that teaches games developing...
So does anyone know any university that teaches that?
Or does anyone know what are the procedures that I have to do to study abroad, and it cost, if please without me doing the SAT test..

Regards,
Mike

#2 June 9 2014

rolf

Re: Mobile apps and games developing

You really don't want to study abroad, but then ask what the procedures are?

Anyway I don't know if there is "Game development" in Lebanon but there sure is programming and computer science degrees. You could do a Bachelors in that here, then a specialization in game development outside as a one or two years masters degree, Maybe.

For studying outside there are other threads on the forum, try a search.

Good luck anyway, and wecome if you're new! I don't have much info for you but though i'd give my opinion anyway.

#3 June 9 2014

Joe

AFAIK there are no schools offering "Game development" in Lebanon. On the other hand, every CS and Engineering school will have you work on many projects, and you'll most probably get to work on one (or several) games while you're there.

Personally, I would recommend against going to specialized schools that offer degrees in game dev only. They'll offer you an approach that is way too narrow to programming and computer science in general. One of the nice things of college is having a generalist approach and seeing multiple fields. You'll specialize when you'll start working.

Finally, and most importantly, no matter what the title of your curriculum is, the only way to learn programming (for games or otherwise) is to practice it regularly at home.

In other words, if you want to be a game programmer but don't want to travel, just join any CS curriculum that accepts you. And start obsessing about programming. At home. Late at night. In your dreams... Don't worry, it only takes 10 years to learn how to be a programmer.

#4 June 9 2014

mike1

rahmu wrote:

AFAIK there are no schools offering "Game development" in Lebanon. On the other hand, every CS and Engineering school will have you work on many projects, and you'll most probably get to work on one (or several) games while you're there.

Personally, I would recommend against going to specialized schools that offer degrees in game dev only. They'll offer you an approach that is way too narrow to programming and computer science in general. One of the nice things of college is having a generalist approach and seeing multiple fields. You'll specialize when you'll start working.

Finally, and most importantly, no matter what the title of your curriculum is, the only way to learn programming (for games or otherwise) is to practice it regularly at home.

In other words, if you want to be a game programmer but don't want to travel, just join any CS curriculum that accepts you. And start obsessing about programming. At home. Late at night. In your dreams...

I can go abroad if its help more, so please talk about that too, I am already familiar with programming, I've made several apps and games using Corona and GameSalad...
And can you suggest few of the unis that are good in this field?

#5 June 9 2014

mike1

rolf wrote:

You really don't want to study abroad, but then ask what the procedures are?

Anyway I don't know if there is "Game development" in Lebanon but there sure is programming and computer science degrees. You could do a Bachelors in that here, then a specialization in game development outside as a one or two years masters degree, Maybe.

For studying outside there are other threads on the forum, try a search.

Good luck anyway, and wecome if you're new! I don't have much info for you but though i'd give my opinion anyway.

Yes , I'm new, and thank you for your help, can you share links with me on threads about studying abroad...

#6 June 9 2014

jsaade

mike1 wrote:

Hello,

I really don't want to study abroad, so I visit some universities here in Lebanon, but I couldn't find any that teaches games developing...
So does anyone know any university that teaches that?
Or does anyone know what are the procedures that I have to do to study abroad, and it cost, if please without me doing the SAT test..

Regards,
Mike

There is no specialized university in lebanon.
NDU tried to offer a specialized segree in simulation but it did not work.
Digipen opened a few years ago in USEK but it closed (was a bit expensive).
I gruaduated from digipen (www.digipen.edu).
I would recommend it (the US campus) they have a nice CS major and also offer a masters in CS.

Choosing a specialized school in game dev will only teach you how to work in team and develop games. It will expose you to real life problems in video games and simulation. It is math, physics and CS heavy.

If you do not want to work in AAA games i would advise against such schools other wise it is fun :)

Board footer