LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 6 2014

rolf

The topic for when there is nothing new

You know... there is this page where you can go: on the top right of the screen, just click on "New" and you will see all the new posts and all the active threads.
But I does happen quite frequently that I do that and see that nobody has posted anything, and there are no threads to take part of...
So this is the thread for when there is nothing to discuss...

Maybe that will help and keep the forum alive in these slow hours.

Have a nice weekend and don't forget to post here when there's nothing else to discuss.

#2 April 6 2014

samer
Admin

Re: The topic for when there is nothing new

Interesting experiment Rolf. Topics about "everything" generally end up creating way more noise than signal. Also, the Lobby already plays the role of hosting threads that don't fit elsewhere. Creating a topic within it with the same role tends to be misleading.
However, let's give this spin for a few days, I'm curious of how it will turn out to be.

#3 April 6 2014

rolf

Thanks.

I guess it's a topicless topic, it's not exactly about "everything" but more about "nothing"!

The lobby would fit threads that don't fit elsewhere, and this thread would fit posts that don't fit under any specific topic.
But it just boils down to having somewhere to post things even when there is no active conversation you can take part in, and have nothing specific to discuss.

Let's say I want to give a shoutout to all lebgeeks members (ahoy everyone!), or just want to post some random stuff that crosses my mind - I'm not gonna open a new thread for that...
It doesn't sound like a recipe for creating good content... sounds a bit like Facebook, but at least it wouldn't be all over the place but contained in a single topic.

I hope y'all are having a nice Sunday.

#4 April 6 2014

Nabs

Well, there are very important four reasons why these forums are not bothered with sometimes, none of which I think I will be permitted to discuss (smiley with tongue here).

#5 April 6 2014

enthralled

I want to be a ninja.

#6 April 6 2014

Tarek
Banned

rofl always wants to argue ..

#7 April 6 2014

rolf

Tarek wrote:

rofl always wants to argue ..

I agree!

(that killed it, didn't it?)

#8 April 6 2014

geekevo

I like trains, think we will ever have a train in Lebanon?

Last edited by geekevo (April 6 2014)

#9 April 6 2014

Elied

I once licked my elbow, it was the best 25 hour day of my life, though Chuck Norris didn't approve =/

#10 April 6 2014

enthralled

Anyone seen/tried a Subpac? I ordered the M1 last month http://www.thesubpac.com/pre-order-now/subpac-m1 I'll ship with Borderlinx. Mainly for gaming and listening to music.

#11 April 6 2014

rolf

enthralled wrote:

Anyone seen/tried a Subpac? I ordered the M1 last month http://www.thesubpac.com/pre-order-now/subpac-m1 I'll ship with Borderlinx. Mainly for gaming and listening to music.

Interesting.
Say, how much can I expect borderlinx to charge for a camera that costs 325 in the states (on ebay?) I'm on their site now trying to figure that out...

PS: I just found their cost calculator. It's not bad, but amazon won't accept a Lebanese credit card for a US address, and borderlinx don't seem to offer payment services...

Last edited by rolf (April 6 2014)

#12 April 6 2014

Ra8

geekevo wrote:

I like trains, think we will ever have a train in Lebanon?

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Business/Le … z2y7xS1JZd
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/news … udied.html

#13 April 6 2014

enthralled

rolf wrote:

amazon won't accept a Lebanese credit card for a US address, and borderlinx don't seem to offer payment services...

You can try Borderlinx Concierge https://www.borderlinx.com/pages/our-ex … ge-service I tried it for the Subpac M1 (which requires PayPal) but they said "merchant does not accept our transactions/concierge service." That probably means Paypal isn't an option. I created EntroPay virtual card and a PayPal using that card, with fake US address and made the payment myself.

#14 April 6 2014

Adnan

Oh, this is a nice initiative. I've been to many forums and some have a "blabla" thread, even sometimes inside a "blabla" forum. It usually ends up like a nice chatroom. Here's an example of a Linux forum I frequently visit, in which there's an off-topic thread, and also in a completely off-topic forum, there's a chatting topic too. So the experience is not new, so maybe it will turn in good here in le blabla de LebGeeks too !

Last edited by Adnan (April 6 2014)

#15 April 6 2014

rolf

enthralled wrote:
rolf wrote:

amazon won't accept a Lebanese credit card for a US address, and borderlinx don't seem to offer payment services...

You can try Borderlinx Concierge https://www.borderlinx.com/pages/our-ex … ge-service I tried it for the Subpac M1 (which requires PayPal) but they said "merchant does not accept our transactions/concierge service." That probably means Paypal isn't an option. I created EntroPay virtual card and a PayPal using that card, with fake US address and made the payment myself.

Ok, I'm gonna try this. I'm gonna make a purchase of the same approximate value of yours... this service is reliable and honest, right?

PS: reading lots of bad reviews about them right now...

Last edited by rolf (April 6 2014)

#16 April 6 2014

Johnaudi

It's good to see that this thread escalated quickly.

Other than that, is anyone ordering the new Oculus DK2.0?

#17 April 6 2014

rolf

Johnaudi wrote:

It's good to see that this thread escalated quickly.

Yeah, I'm glad to see that people are digging it.
I should've named it "THE THREAD"!

#18 April 6 2014

kareem_nasser

I miss the old LebGeeks! Damn it!

#19 April 6 2014

rolf

kareem_nasser wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "the old LebGeeks"

#20 April 6 2014

Tarek
Banned

rolf wrote:
kareem_nasser wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "the old LebGeeks"

he means when we used to talk in technical shit

#21 April 7 2014

enthralled

rolf wrote:

Ok, I'm gonna try this. I'm gonna make a purchase of the same approximate value of yours... this service is reliable and honest, right?

This will be my fourth shipment through Borderlinx. I find them reliable and honest. Make sure you don't order anything prohibited; I tried to ship this sonic toothbrush that includes a UV sanitizer http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085RZLU … mdsc?dsc=1 but had to return to Amazon because the sanitizer has a mercury containing lamp. If not sure about an item, email them.
If the total invoice value is above 800 USD (or require an approval from any ministry) a formal clearance will occur and  D.O 70,000L.L. , the DHL clearance charges (115,000L.L. or 322,500 L.L. depending on the value of the items) , 10% V.A.T. from the invoice value and a specific % for customs.

#22 April 7 2014

rolf

This thread is working almost too well...

enthralled wrote:
rolf wrote:

This will be my fourth shipment through Borderlinx. I find them reliable and honest. Make sure you don't order anything prohibited; I tried to ship this sonic toothbrush that includes a UV sanitizer http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085RZLU … mdsc?dsc=1 but had to return to Amazon because the sanitizer has a mercury containing lamp. If not sure about an item, email them.
If the total invoice value is above 800 USD (or require an approval from any ministry) a formal clearance will occur and  D.O 70,000L.L. , the DHL clearance charges (115,000L.L. or 322,500 L.L. depending on the value of the items) , 10% V.A.T. from the invoice value and a specific % for customs.

Thanks. I just read a bunch of "scam" reviews on the internet.
I used their cost calculator. But do you mean to tell me that the cost calculator won't give me the exact cost, or that I will need to add VAT to it?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Let us know how that wearable subwoofer turns out!

Last edited by rolf (April 7 2014)

#23 April 7 2014

enthralled

@rolf if value is over USD800, their calculator doesn't include clearance fees. I'm not sure about the vat. Also if you haven't yet, make sure to read this sticky by Aly http://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=14891

#24 April 7 2014

enthralled

Any parkour practitioners? It's super cool and extreme. Only Parkour gym I know of is in Sin El Fil, I go there from Hamra (little far but worth it).
As mentioned in my first post above, my goal is becoming a ninja (I'm not kidding)  :]

#25 April 7 2014

rolf

enthralled wrote:

Any parkour practitioners? It's super cool and extreme. Only Parkour gym I know of is in Sin El Fil, I go there from Hamra (little far but worth it).
As mentioned in my first post above, my goal is becoming a ninja (I'm not kidding)  :]

I have a friend who likes parkour...
I thought you were joking about the ninja thing...

Board footer