LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 30 2013

kfc

Phone battery calibration without rooting

Hello

I am suspecting that the battery gauge of the phone is tricking  me as the battery is suddenly dropping to 1% once it reaches a random number below 30%. Thus I would like to try to calibrate it. Do you know any android application that would let me calibrate the  battery WITHOUT rooting the phone?

I appreciate your tips!

#2 December 30 2013

DNA

Re: Phone battery calibration without rooting

your battery is dying, it lost more than 30% of its capacity

Last edited by DNA (December 30 2013)

#3 December 31 2013

kfc

DNA wrote:

DNA wrote:

No the problem is not in the battery. the 30% is not a fixed number. sometimes the battery dies at 12%, 15%, 22%... just any random number. If it dies for example at 25%, it immediately jump to 25% once i plug in the charger . If I recharge it to 75% and then i hard reboot it it, the battery will immediately decrease by those same  25% and then it will keep decreasing normally without any problems until it reaches 0%.

If I charge the phone to 100%, i can use it for 30 minutes before the battery decreases to 99%!! Then if i hard reboot the phone, the battery will suddenly decrease to around 85% and then it will continue decreasing normally.

Also, if i hard reboot the phone and charge it then to 100%, it will decrease normally without any problems until it reaches 0%.

So hard rebooting the phone is solving the problem temporarily but after a few days, the problem reappears again and i need to hard reboot the phone again! Is it healthy for the phone to keep hard rebooting it every 3-4 days??

I searched the net and this seems to be a fairly common problem in old Sony Xperia phones and the problem seems to be due to a bug in the battery's software.

I want to calibrate the battery but no apps allow me to do it WITHOUT rooting the phone. I am not a geek, i don't know how to root phones and I am afraid of messing up the phone if i try to root it myself.

I really need some advice and help to solve this  very annoying problem!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by kfc (December 31 2013)

#4 January 1 2014

DNA

I am pretty sure your battery is dying this is why the phone is doing that, this problem is common with the galaxy s4 couple of friends have it but its always solved by getting a new battery.

Calibration may solve your problem by making the phone adjust to the lost capacity of the battery (u have a 50/50 chance it will work).
you dont need an app to calibrate the battery you  can acheive this by deleting a file which is located at /Data/System/batteystats.bin after you charge your battery to 100% the OS will soon generate a new clean one, the bad news is that its impossible to do without rooting your phone. i would suggest rooting your phone its safe and fairly easy to do

Last edited by DNA (January 1 2014)

#5 January 1 2014

kfc

DNA wrote:

I am pretty sure your battery is dying this is why the phone is doing that, this problem is common with the galaxy s4 couple of friends have it but its always solved by getting a new battery.

Calibration may solve your problem by making the phone adjust to the lost capacity of the battery (u have a 50/50 chance it will work).
you dont need an app to calibrate the battery you  can acheive this by deleting a file which is located at /Data/System/batteystats.bin after you charge your battery to 100% the OS will soon generate a new clean one, the bad news is that its impossible to do without rooting your phone. i would suggest rooting your phone its safe and fairly easy to do

1- how do you explain the fact that the battery drop can occur at any random level? what is the % of its capacity that it lost?

2- how come everything gets solved whenever i hard rebnoot the phone? doesnt this mean that the problem is somewhere in the software?

3- i am afraid that this problem emerged because i didnt fully charge the pone before using it for the 1st time (the problem started to appear 1 week after i bought the phone). Is that possibhle?

4- does hard-rebooting the phone every 3-4 days harm the phone's software?

thanks again!

#6 January 1 2014

DNA

before i can answer your questions we need to make a small test to rule out the variables after that i can possibly determine if the battery is really faulty or the phone is not calibrating correctly or has some sort of a OS bug so if you have the patience to do it go ahead if not keep hard rebooting your phone don't worry it doesn't harm ;)

you need to install any app u like to check the voltage of the battery the app needs to provide three decimals for accuracy( example 3.333v or 3333mV)

hard reboot your phone and charge it to 100% remove the charger after around 5 min write down the voltage from the app then after that run a cpu and gpu intensive game for around 5 min and then write down the battery level(phone reading) and voltage from the app and then immediately hard reboot your phone and after it boots again write down battery level and voltage from app.

you need to do the same thing again when the battery reaches 30% after normal use, write down voltage then start an intensive game for 5 min and then write down battery level and voltage reboot and write down level and voltage again.
last step is to write down the battery voltage at 5% level.

this may be little time consuming but without numbers all the answers are speculations if you decided to do it tell me the results and what's your phone.

Last edited by DNA (January 1 2014)

#7 January 1 2014

kfc

DNA wrote:

before i can answer your questions we need to make a small test to rule out the variables after that i can possibly determine if the battery is really faulty or the phone is not calibrating correctly or has some sort of a OS bug so if you have the patience to do it go ahead if not keep hard rebooting your phone don't worry it doesn't harm ;)

you need to install any app u like to check the voltage of the battery the app needs to provide three decimals for accuracy( example 3.333v or 3333mV)

hard reboot your phone and charge it to 100% remove the charger after around 5 min write down the voltage from the app then after that run a cpu and gpu intensive game for around 5 min and then write down the battery level(phone reading) and voltage from the app and then immediately hard reboot your phone and after it boots again write down battery level and voltage from app.

you need to do the same thing again when the battery reaches 30% after normal use, write down voltage then start an intensive game for 5 min and then write down battery level and voltage reboot and write down level and voltage again.
last step is to write down the battery voltage at 5% level.

this may be little time consuming but without numbers all the answers are speculations if you decided to do it tell me the results and what's your phone.

I appreciate this tip very much . I will definitely try it as soon as I can.

can you please advise me regarding the  app that measures battery voltage with 3 decimals and also  regarding which game to use? (please give me names)

Thanks again!

#8 January 1 2014

yasamoka

I have the same issue on my Galaxy Note. It's a miscalibration issue.

#9 January 1 2014

kfc

yasamoka wrote:

and how did you solve it?

#10 January 1 2014

yasamoka

Not yet solved it. Didn't bother yet.

#11 January 1 2014

kfc

yasamoka wrote:

Not yet solved it. Didn't bother yet.

how do you deal with it now? and if you manage to solve it, please post here what you did. Thanks!

#12 January 2 2014

DNA

yasamoka wrote:

how are you so sure when u haven't tried it on your phone yet ?

anyway i didn't get into details but long story short , there is no something called calibration or miscalibration in android, its just that this batterystats.bin file only stores apps battery usage history and helps the phone estimate the battery time left according to your consumption.

Did you know that every android phone does this "calibration" every time your battery charge reaches 100%?

i personally read the batterystats.bin file and can assure you that "calibration" is not existent and the battery gauge in the phone doesn't reflect whats in this file in anyway.

i am still looking at the source code still haven't found anything, but i am 90% sure that either the OS or the li-ion charging IC relies ONLY on the battery voltage to determine the charge left on it, i think there is a curve of some sort that's implemented in the code in which it determines the charge level in comparison to it.

its either the battery is faulty or there is a bug there is no other explanation.

so if i find out that kfc phone battery is still good, then the explanation would be that there is a bug in which deleting the batterystats.bin everytime he hard reboots or restarting the battery IC is doing the job temporarily before the Bug kick in the messes up the battery capacity again, this is why i already said that deleting such file has a chance of solving the problem since if its really a bug it will return no matter what.

Last edited by DNA (January 2 2014)

#13 January 2 2014

kfc

DNA wrote:
yasamoka wrote:

how are you so sure when u haven't tried it on your phone yet ?

anyway i didn't get into details but long story short , there is no something called calibration or miscalibration in android, its just that this batterystats.bin file only stores apps battery usage history and helps the phone estimate the battery time left according to your consumption.

Did you know that every android phone does this "calibration" every time your battery charge reaches 100%?

i personally read the batterystats.bin file and can assure you that "calibration" is not existent and the battery gauge in the phone doesn't reflect whats in this file in anyway.

i am still looking at the source code still haven't found anything, but i am 90% sure that either the OS or the li-ion charging IC relies ONLY on the battery voltage to determine the charge left on it, i think there is a curve of some sort that's implemented in the code in which it determines the charge level in comparison to it.

its either the battery is faulty or there is a bug there is no other explanation.

so if i find out that kfc phone battery is still good, then the explanation would be that there is a bug in which deleting the batterystats.bin everytime he hard reboots or restarting the battery IC is doing the job temporarily before the Bug kick in the messes up the battery capacity again, this is why i already said that deleting such file has a chance of solving the problem since if its really a bug it will return no matter what.

can you please advise me regarding the  app that measures battery voltage with 3 decimals and also  regarding which game to use? (please give me names)
Thanks again!

#14 January 2 2014

kfc

#15 January 2 2014

kfc

This is the proposed solution on sony mobile support forum. what do you think?

And so many others.
Solution
On Xperias with removable battery
Note the battery % . Take the battery out of your phone and re-insert it after 5 minutes or so. Switch it on and observe the battery%. See if there's any significant drop in battery % ( 5+ % or more ). Also there should be produced a gap in the battery graph, like this Battery Screenshot
Most probably this problem has been corrected.
On Xperias with built in / embedded battery
Note the battery %. Force shutdown your phone by following this key combination
Press and hold the "Power Button" and "Volume Up" for 10 seconds until your Xperia vibrates 3 times. Now switch it on and observe the battery %. See if there's any significant drop in % ( 5+ % or more ). Also there should be produced a gap in the battery graph like this Battery Screenshot . Then most probably the problem has been corrected.
If any of the above didn't help then >
Reinstall the phone's software using SUS and start fresh.
SUS > http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/too … e-service/

How to avoid this error in future
This error is usually produced when the phone is left connected to the charger even after battery becomes full.So disconnect the charger as soon as the battery charging status becomes full [ ( settings > battery > full ) or ( settings > about phone > status > full) ]To help deal with it, install any app from google play that fires up any kind of alarm or notification whenever battery goes full.
Avoid using apps that monitor / manage battery, task killers, android manager, battery savers. They usually harm more than they do good.

#16 January 4 2014

DNA

@kfc what they said is totally not correct, anyway for the voltage just dial in this code * # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # * or use this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … dget&hl=en

any game of your choice will do no need to be a 2gb one.

Board footer