LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#526 April 30 2020

infiniteloop

Re: Shipping from abroad (share your experience)

Perhaps your shipment arrived with expats planes of yesterday, knowing there were cases of corona with these planes I would generously spray alcohol on the external envelop with gloves.
I have 2 items from late March still in an airport  somewhere.
I desperately need a new cover for my 7 Pro, dunno if I get some from aliexpress and waut 2 months or get them from amazon and 50$ for 2 covers

#527 April 30 2020

Fouche

infiniteloop wrote:

Perhaps your shipment arrived with expats planes of yesterday, knowing there were cases of corona with these planes I would generously spray alcohol on the external envelop with gloves.
I desperately need a new cover for my 7 Pro, dunno if I get some from aliexpress and waut 2 months or get them from amazon and 50$ for 2 covers

$50 is a shit ton of money for two covers at current rate 

Just wait it out, Order them sometime mid-may and you should be able to receive them on time when the Airport re-opens on the 8th of june.

#528 April 30 2020

NuclearVision

You can get them from gearbest they have faster shipping than ali.

#529 April 30 2020

infiniteloop

NuclearVision wrote:

You can get them from gearbest they have faster shipping than ali.

Aliexpress is pretty fast since corona, they leave China in 2 days but the thing is not from aliexpress side but the courrier used.
Any national post like China or Singapore post will be blocked somewhere till the airport is re-opened with civil planes.
Dhl, shopandship, fedex.... Have their own planes and continue to deliver.
I have 20$ of covers on amazon + 20$ airmail + 22000LL shopandship if I want fast delivery

#530 April 30 2020

NuclearVision

I ordered an item gearbest 50 days ago, arrived yesterday (NL post), order 3 items 90 days ago on ali (also NL post).
Might be due to different sellers.

#531 April 30 2020

TrollFatGuy

Hey guys. Any experience shipping from Amazon directly? I bought some books that directly shipped here and when I contacted the seller they mentioned that they should be shipped with LibanPost when it arrives in Lebanon. Can anyone confirm this? Any similar experiences?

Last edited by TrollFatGuy (April 30 2020)

#532 April 30 2020

TheIlluminative

TrollFatGuy wrote:

Hey guys. Any experience shipping from Amazon directly? I bought some books that directly shipped here and when I contacted the seller they mentioned that they should be shipped with LibanPost when it arrives in Lebanon. Can anyone confirm this? Any similar experiences?

That's true.

#533 May 1 2020

Madslm

TrollFatGuy wrote:

Any one ordering books from amazon should try abebooks.co.uk, they have much better prices and almost free shipping.

#534 May 1 2020

infiniteloop

Also I think books don't have VAT and customs here
PC parts no customs but 11% VAT
Electronics 10% customs and 11% VAT
If ordered with private couriers, for aliexpress China and Singapore posts it's customs free

#535 May 1 2020

NuclearVision

I confirm no customs on books, i bought a few from amazon a few months ago, got them with libanpost.

#536 May 1 2020

TheIlluminative

infiniteloop wrote:

One Plus? You know there are no covers, but if you go to a big store, he might find something similar. I have a 1plus 6T and one shop gave me a cover for something else but it worked very well with it. So don't ask for a specific cover for 7, but show them the phone and they might find you something that works.

#537 May 1 2020

NuclearVision

It's sad how there's a market for most expensive flagships and not budget flagships in our budget country.

#538 May 1 2020

m0ei

So I have a good amount on my Amazon wallet and I would like to purchase a phone from there.

If I ship the phone via shop and ship, I need to pay customs twice? Once for the airport customs and another to the ministry of telecommunication after I get the phone?

#539 May 1 2020

NuclearVision

I already asked here and got no answer, But i don't really need a phone right now, so if you can call shopandship, they probably know better.
Let us know what they tell you.

#540 May 1 2020

Flakk

m0ei wrote:

So I have a good amount on my Amazon wallet and I would like to purchase a phone from there.

If I ship the phone via shop and ship, I need to pay customs twice? Once for the airport customs and another to the ministry of telecommunication after I get the phone?

Yes once at the airport (and super tedious procedure there) and then you go to the ministry. I did this once back in 2017 and im not sure if its still the same, but I remember I had to waste a full day just so I can get my phone.

#541 May 1 2020

m0ei

SnS's support replied to me now:

Such items will be held in customs for clearance as it requires approval from ministry of telecommunication ,

The formality will cost between 111 $ to 222 $ excluding the customs duties and VAT based on the customs evaluation.

#542 May 1 2020

TheIlluminative

m0ei wrote:

SnS's support replied to me now:

Such items will be held in customs for clearance as it requires approval from ministry of telecommunication ,

The formality will cost between 111 $ to 222 $ excluding the customs duties and VAT based on the customs evaluation.

You pay in LBP according to the official rate? 1500?

#543 May 1 2020

m0ei

Yes, you pay according to the official 1500 LL rate.

In both cases, if I'm paying 800$ for a phone, I'll handle the "tolhlis" myself and no need to pay them any extra 111-222$.

#544 May 1 2020

Madslm

When using SnS do you have to pay for shipping online, or can you pay on delivery?

#545 May 2 2020

AVOlio

m0ei wrote:

Yes, you pay according to the official 1500 LL rate.

In both cases, if I'm paying 800$ for a phone, I'll handle the "tolhlis" myself and no need to pay them any extra 111-222$.

Even if you choose to handle it yourself, you still have to pay them an amount of like 80$ or something.
I remember this very well as they told it to me when I was shipping a monitor with them.

You can ask again to confirm.

#546 May 2 2020

infiniteloop

Shopandship is asking to sign some documents, rescan them and them them , though I don't have a printer and scanner at home and won't go to a printing center with Corona. Can't I simply digitally sign them?

#547 May 2 2020

nuclearcat

#548 May 2 2020

infiniteloop

Signed digitally, let's see if they will accept

#549 May 4 2020

m0ei

I bought 3 items via Aramex SnS, 2 got shipped separately and the 3rd was on backorder so it wasn't shipped. Total price is 365$.

Today the 2 items arrived to Lebanon and they sent me the customs and clearance invoice, it was a shocking 140k LL for the first item (a 18$ item) and 204000 LL for the 200$ item.

I contacted them, they looked into it and they came back telling me that "the full invoice with the total amount was sent with every box", so the customs estimated every package as 555000 LL.
I asked them to relook into it, it's the responsibility of the clearance agency, not mine.

Is there anything I can do? I'm leaning towards not taking that 18$ item and tell them to fuck off.

Last edited by m0ei (May 4 2020)

#550 May 4 2020

NuclearVision

honestly i wouldn't even think about it, let them return it to sender at your expense and absorb your loss.
These companies are utter BS, and that's exactly why I don't use their services, I mean, it's completely random, (and mostly tricky,) they don't follow any rule, and they blame it on the customs officers while I've never had to pay a dime for stuff i ship using aliexpress/ebay/usps/royal mail/Posti/ LaPoste/Japanese post Even ems for god sake! These companies are ripping us off. If it was going to the state it would have been different, but I'm not paying 3-5 kinds of taxes which probably they take a part of.

Board footer