LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 26 2013

rolf

Mailchimp... good?

Hello,

Does anyone here have experience with Mailchimp, any tips about it, any advice, or alternatives to recommend?
Mailchimp seems to the most popular mailing list service, and I'm wondering if it's a good thing to recommend (and eventually to set up myself) for people who need to send promotional mail to mailing lists.

#2 November 26 2013

Hybrid

Re: Mailchimp... good?

Mailchimp is by far the best 3rd party mailing as long as your list is under 50K

Once you're over 50K, it's EXPENSIVE, and you need to find an alternate... (if you send daily or almost daily to that list)

Last edited by Hybrid (November 26 2013)

#3 November 26 2013

samer
Admin

We use mailchimp on LebGeeks. It's really well designed and I have had no problems with it so far. They give you full API access, even in their free plan.

#4 November 26 2013

rolf

Thanks that's what I thought... just wanted to make sure that I'm doing the right thing by recommending it (although I have no experience whatsoever with it :) ). I should use it soon, though.

#5 November 26 2013

NoReGreT

Mailchimp is good. But you can also check out http://mandrill.com/
I recall using mandrill instead of mailchimp since I am able to use a different "from" header or something like that. I don't really remember.

#6 November 26 2013

Hybrid

Mailchimp and mandrill are owned by rocketsciencegroup, they both use the mailchimp infrastructure to deliver the emails.

Concerning the price, it totally depends on the amount of emails you want to send. If you're planing to send daily to the same list of emails, then mailchimp is cheaper as long as your list is less than 50K subscribers.

Another difference is, mailchimp offers you the ability to manage your lists and campaigns on mailchimp website through a friendly user interface, while on mandrill, you will need your own server with your own software to manage the lists and campaigns.

Board footer