LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 28 2013

AvoK95

Windows 8.1 update file for updating offline.

I got a client who has Windows 8 on his laptop, and wants me to upgrade it to 8.1, the update is 3+GB of download, which will takes tons of time to download for each person. Not to mention that I have to log onto their account on the Windows Market app in order to download it.

I'm trying to find an update file in order to update my client's PC without any trouble and without downloading the update file all the time.

#2 October 29 2013

nosense

Re: Windows 8.1 update file for updating offline.

I downloaded an iso file of windows 8.1 and just installed it over my windows thinking it would update but i got a windows.old file and everything is fucked up.

#3 October 30 2013

Prince

Well my friend told me its about 3.8 GB update via windows update.
I will check the files that are updated and your Windows 8 is what Licensed ?
Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional ,Home Premium, Home Basic ,Starter I think the update differs for every version .

Last edited by Prince (October 30 2013)

#4 November 1 2013

AvoK95

Prince wrote:

Well my friend told me its about 3.8 GB update via windows update.
I will check the files that are updated and your Windows 8 is what Licensed ?
Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional ,Home Premium, Home Basic ,Starter I think the update differs for every version .

The versions you mentioned don't exist, and it shouldn't matter, and each client would have a different version.

#5 December 17 2013

vegetaleb
Banned

Got an ISO file that I flashed on a USB, I want to upgrade from Win 8 Pro to Win 8.1 Pro but it will only keep User files,so all my settings,games and software will be removed.
Any way to keep them?

#6 December 17 2013

rolf

Well my knowledge is a little (maybe more than a little) outdated, but a long time ago, when Windows XP was not an old thing, your options for sparing your quota, related to windows update, where:
- Install WSUS
- Install a proxy (Squid) and configure it to cache windows update

WSUS might still exist, and the Squid trick might still work, but I wouldn't bet on it, since Windows 8 is not exactly Windows XP, and Microsoft has a tendency to make these things more difficult, not easier, with every update (as you mentioned, you must now log into an online account to download it), and they were already a bit difficult to set up back then, but I thought they were worth mentioning.

Last edited by rolf (December 17 2013)

#7 December 17 2013

AvoK95

rolf wrote:

Well my knowledge is a little (maybe more than a little) outdated, but a long time ago, when Windows XP was not an old thing, your options for sparing your quota, related to windows update, where:
- Install WSUS

WSUS might still exist, and the Squid trick might still work, but I wouldn't bet on it, since Windows 8 is not exactly Windows XP, and Microsoft has a tendency to make these things more difficult, not easier, with every update (as you mentioned, you must now log into an online account to download it), and they were already a bit difficult to set up back then, but I thought they were worth mentioning.

Still use WSUS on clients when I reformat their PC. I needed something like Squid to cache update files for the house, so thanks for that!

#8 December 18 2013

rolf

AvoK95 wrote:
rolf wrote:

- Install WSUS

Still use WSUS on clients when I reformat their PC. I needed something like Squid to cache update files for the house, so thanks for that!

You're welcome, I did use Squid back then to cache windows update, and it did work to an extent - I had to edit the config file to force caching, because it does not do it by default. So you have to install it, and then learn the configuration syntax, and test configurations...

These resources might help (I hope they apply to Windows 8):

How to Configure Windows Update to Use a Proxy Server (so that you don't need to set up your proxy as transparent proxy)
http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1391-h … xy-server/

How do I make Windows Updates cache?
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate

As you can see, it is not exactly a straight-forward, trivial task (but not a big project either), so up to decide if it's worth it.

Last edited by rolf (December 18 2013)

#9 December 18 2013

vegetaleb
Banned

Can we bypass the Win 8 updates before getting the win 8.1 update in the Store?

#10 December 18 2013

AvoK95

vegetaleb wrote:

Can we bypass the Win 8 updates before getting the win 8.1 update in the Store?

Of course

Board footer