LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 6 2013

aboudyba

.CH files on BlackBerry

i own a blackberry, something happened to my memory card and all the files were turned into .ch extension the size is big, i downloaded a program called "universal viewer" i was able to open them but the files are music i need my photos.

any one experienced the same issue ? someone can help ?

#2 August 6 2013

Nabs

Re: .CH files on BlackBerry

Hello, Aboudyba. Can you plug that card into a card reader, see if there are any hidden files? The .CH files are most likely fake files linking to the original ones. Could you please check, see if there are any hidden system files?

#3 August 6 2013

aboudyba

i copied everything from the mc, no hidden files after that the mc wouldn't open in all means ! i did connect using a card reader the same thing happened; files which are big and am guessing the photos won't open using the program.is there anyway i can break those files to the original one ?

#4 August 6 2013

Nabs

OK. Did you try going to folder options on your computer, uncheck hide system folders and check show hidden files?

#5 August 6 2013

aboudyba

Yes i did.
the size of the new files ".ch" is identical to the old files on my mc;
do you know any way to break those files back to the original ?

#6 August 6 2013

Nabs

You could try running the repair tool from your Blackberry. Take out the memory card, plug it in a card reader on computer. Go the the Blackberry folder and delete al the .CH files. Put it back in the Blackberry and run the repair tool. If you get "Media Card Repair Successfull", then the card is good to go.

P.S: You would have to run a recovery tool from Windows to restore your files after this. All your files will be gone.

#7 August 6 2013

aboudyba

wait i did that, i removed my mc deleted all the files put them back run the repair tool the same thing nothing happened; still what do you mean by recovery tool ?

#8 August 6 2013

Nabs

A tool to recover your lost files from the card.

#9 August 6 2013

yasamoka

I recommend you backup your .CH files to your PC / laptop and, in parallel to what Nabs said, try to simply change the file extension to something like ,mp3, .jpg, etc... and see if you can access the files.

#10 August 6 2013

Nabs

How many CH files are there by the way? Are there any folders visible or just the CH files?

#11 August 6 2013

aboudyba

no folders only .ch files

Last edited by aboudyba (August 6 2013)

#12 August 6 2013

Nabs

Yasamoka, seems like the card itself is damaged. What do you think?

#13 August 6 2013

aboudyba

508 .ch files the mc is working i can open it add files and remove them.
it's the recovery tool in blackberry that's causing all this.

#14 August 6 2013

Nabs

Well then, if deleting the CH files and attempting repair didn't work, then I guess you'll need to recover your files manually, using a software. I'll browse around, see if there's a way to break them back to their original states.

#15 August 6 2013

yasamoka

Seems memory card is working but maybe some filesystem corruption or something similar.

Did you backup the files?

#16 August 6 2013

aboudyba

yes i did

#17 August 6 2013

yasamoka

Great. Tried changing the file extensions?

#18 August 6 2013

aboudyba

yes still no luck.
my pictures i guess are turned into one big .ch  file "197mb" the other files are opening using a program i downloaded there size ranges from 3-10 mb i cannot seem to break those big ones.

Board footer