LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 14 2013

sylvertech

Confused between Computer Science or Graphic Design

Hello.

First of all, thanks for caring to help another person.
People always Google a question and read the threads of others, but really it is humbling to watch as people personally answer your own.

So, I am seventeen years old, and currently in eleventh grade (BAC1).

I am confused between CS and GD because I seem to be have potential for both.
Many people have suggested I pursue a career in art, while most others have expected that I naturally "2a3mil shi bil" computer-field.

Also, these two majors have some overlap, especially in web design and gaming and such.

So, as netizens of Lebanon, what are your opinions?

Note: I am hoping to enter LAU, but that is only if I get financial aid and grants, and if the SAT scores turn out fine (ten days from now).

I imagine that if I become a programmer I will spend many hours a day, about half of them, over the keyboard, debugging and cursing.

As a graphic designer, however, I might spend them trying different variations of a photograph (which is also a part of photography), and sketching drawings on paper, and then using photoshop or illustrator to digitize the thing.

The real horror starts when one gets ignorant clients who make the job harder to do.
Both jobs have the potential to become nightmares, but really I think the second is at least fun.

I love programming, I do. I sometimes spend hours reading about a programming language.
I dabble with projects, occasionally. I've been this way since seventh grade.

With art, however, I am always active. At class I am always doodling, and my note books have been called "horror films".
If I have pen(cil) in my hand, and any semi-flat surface, I'll be doodling.
On my hands, even! Oddly enough, this started in seventh grade too, although both escalated exponentially then.

Note: Oddly, enough, I am also fond of creative writing. I love to read novels (and nonfiction articles, too) of all kinds, which is the third quirk people know me by. I jot down notes of almost everything that happens or I think about, and later expand upon in a diary at the end of day or week. I also write fantasy fiction, too, as a sort of practice for later (I seem to expect that I'll get published in my late twenties).

Anyway, I hope this made a fun read. It has enough information to make a judgement, I hope, and if it doesn't all you have to do is flip a coin! (Just don't tell me. I do it often when deciding important choices, but not this one as well!)

P.S. (lol where do all these ideas come from) I mentioned LAU because only today did I learn and decided that it is better than AUB. A field trip led us there on a tour, and I absolutely loved it. We had gone to AUB a month ago, but this was much more cozy. More informative. Less space, but more cozy. The dance club pretty much had me.

#2 May 14 2013

Link-

Re: Confused between Computer Science or Graphic Design

Flip a coin.

You'll know the answer instantly. If you don't, keep flipping it till you figure it out.

(Hint: Follow your heart and passion, that's the only valid answer. Trust me, I know)

Oh and btw there's nothing preventing you from doing both, the world isn't as structured and as systematic as the illusion portrayed by High School.

Last edited by Link- (May 14 2013)

#3 May 14 2013

venam

--

Last edited by venam (July 31 2013)

#4 May 14 2013

arithma

For a job in the decent companies in Lebanon, Graphic Design is definitely a better option.
This is of course assuming you're not inclined to one or the other major.
We are more of a marketing, publicity country. We have much less real engineering and research rather than commodity peddling. At companies like Cleartag and Born Interactive, Graphic Designers are treated as first class, while website programmers are treated as labor resource. Of course, if you're the best at what you do, you will command respect.

Globally, Graphic Designers are treated as second class to Computer Science majors, but it also depends on the type of company you're going for.

If you're good at Math (as a preliminary precursor), then you most probably can pick up programming very easily. Even if you're not that good in mathematics, if you're determined enough you can still learn programming on your own. This is while majoring in arts.

If you're planning to be involved in academics, research or lecturing at universities, then definitely choose the program you want to continue with.

My personal preference between the two majors is Computer Science, but if there was a pain-free way to get good at art, I would definitely go for it.

Hope it wasn't too splintered an opinion to be useful.

#5 May 14 2013

sylvertech

Link- wrote:

Flip a coin.

You'll know the answer instantly. If you don't, keep flipping it till you figure it out.

(Hint: Follow your heart and passion, that's the only valid answer. Trust me, I know)

Oh and btw there's nothing preventing you from doing both, the world isn't as structured and as systematic as the illusion portrayed by High School.

Thank you.

I just might do that and follow my heart.

I also intend to try doing both.

Why not?

I already know much about both, and honestly I can't imagine anything taught in a CS course that I can't learn on my own.
Hell, I started learning C++ by my self from the internet, from scratch, in seventh grade.

This could be true for graphic design, but, well, this domain seems more obscure.
More "world experience" needed. Need to understand how other people think.
I imagine university would be good for that.

And also for some reason I doubt I can find satisfying books about graphic design online.

Another point (although not a game-changer) is that I'd find more spirited people (and henceforth girls) in the graphic design department.
Art! Hmm.. I wonder if nude-painting has its own course.

#6 May 14 2013

sylvertech

venam wrote:

It might just be a personal opinion but I think that graphic designers are almost nothing, nowadays, without good programmers.
To be an excellent web programmer/entrepreneur you need to have good ideas and to be able to engineer them so they can come to life.

True, true.

venam wrote:

The design is just a little cover you put at the end of the huge work and paid only once. On the other hand, the one owning the project will make profit for a long term.
And that's just the part where we talk about the web.

Never thought of that before.

#7 May 14 2013

sylvertech

arithma wrote:

For a job in the decent companies in Lebanon, Graphic Design is definitely a better option.
This is of course assuming you're not inclined to one or the other major.
We are more of a marketing, publicity country. We have much less real engineering and research rather than commodity peddling. At companies like Cleartag and Born Interactive, Graphic Designers are treated as first class, while website programmers are treated as labor resource. Of course, if you're the best at what you do, you will command respect.

Globally, Graphic Designers are treated as second class to Computer Science majors, but it also depends on the type of company you're going for.

If you're good at Math (as a preliminary precursor), then you most probably can pick up programming very easily. Even if you're not that good in mathematics, if you're determined enough you can still learn programming on your own. This is while majoring in arts.

If you're planning to be involved in academics, research or lecturing at universities, then definitely choose the program you want to continue with.

My personal preference between the two majors is Computer Science, but if there was a pain-free way to get good at art, I would definitely go for it.

Hope it wasn't too splintered an opinion to be useful.

I had actually thought that all programmers around the world are treated as a labor source. Go figure.

Please elaborate on what you meant by "but if there was a pain-free way to get good at art, I would definitely go for it."
Are you implying that you would choose CS because getting good at art is painful, or perhaps.. uhm.. I don't get it.

Anyway I understand that you advise learning programming on my own while studying graphic design?

I guess it would be a great idea. Also if I work as a graphic designer alongside programmers, as in web design, then I might be able to add programming to my work experience resume. Heh. Brilliant.

Last edited by sylvertech (May 14 2013)

#8 May 15 2013

rtp

From what you wrote it seem you prefer graphic design on programming.

I don't think you can go wrong with either since you seem to enjoy both, and the markets in Lebanon is good for both.

#9 May 15 2013

xterm

Go for Graphic Design if you're already artistic, augment your skills with "Learning to program" later on (or during).

The inverse is NOT possible.

#10 May 15 2013

sylvertech

xterm wrote:

Go for Graphic Design if you're already artistic, augment your skills with "Learning to program" later on (or during).

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking.
Learning to program online, for me at least, is just too easy to waste time on college ( and this is web coding we are talking about: no tortuous libraries, as compared to video games. HTML for Christ's sake).

I imagine graphic design would need much practice. No artist or master of drawing is born through web tuts, although they do help.

#11 May 15 2013

sylvertech

rtp wrote:

I don't think you can go wrong with either since you seem to enjoy both, and the markets in Lebanon is good for both.

The market in lebanon is good. Hilarious.

#12 May 15 2013

rtp

sylvertech wrote:
rtp wrote:

lol, lets just say better than others , lets take for example nuclear scientist or anything scientist for that matter

Last edited by rtp (May 15 2013)

#13 May 15 2013

Ayman

sylvertech wrote:

The dance club pretty much had me.

Definitely go for Graphic Design, I'v never seen a programmer dancing, nor can I imagine myself doing so in any universe, the horror...

</joking>

#14 May 15 2013

sylvertech

rtp wrote:
sylvertech wrote:
rtp wrote:

lol, lets just say better than others , lets take for example nuclear scientist or anything scientist for that matter

I once heard about a nuclear scientist who went to study abroad.

He was my friend's father's friend. He returned only once for a visit, and said the FBI follow him everywhere and even stand outside his bathroom door.

Not the life for me. lol

#15 May 15 2013

sylvertech

Ayman wrote:
sylvertech wrote:

The dance club pretty much had me.

Definitely go for Graphic Design, I'v never seen a programmer dancing, nor can I imagine myself doing so in any universe, the horror...

</joking>

Come on.

There must be a dancing programmer somewhere. Some of them do martial arts, I heard, so dancing is not very far from there.

Ooh I can already see the samba sweat.

#16 May 15 2013

sylvertech

Also, does anyone know which universities are best for this?

I heard one college allows one to get a Bachelors of Engineering in Graphic Design.

#17 May 15 2013

venam

--

#18 May 15 2013

sylvertech

venam wrote:
sylvertech wrote:

Also, does anyone know which universities are best for this?

I heard one college allows one to get a Bachelors of Engineering in Graphic Design.

As far as I know, Engineering is only attributed to fields where you need to do engineering.
Graphic design is not one of those fields, it's more in the art field.

Indeed. I checked online and found no B.E.s for Graphic Design.

I looked at various programs, however, and so far the AUB program seems best.
The LAU doesn't seem to have one for GD posted, and the LU seems fine as well, although, well, less pleasant  to attend.

Edit: Not LU. Haven't found that one yet. I meant AUST.

Last edited by sylvertech (May 15 2013)

#19 May 16 2013

sylvertech

AUL seems to have a good GD program, too, although the one at AUB still looks best.

#20 May 16 2013

rolf

Real web designers - those who can do both the design and then the coding with HTML/CSS, or who can produce a design directly in HTML/CSS are a rare and very valuable thing.
Wether they're appreciated on the market - I don't know, but they should and hopefully they will.
Besides if you CAN do both and work as a freelancer you could potentially do insane amounts of money.
In the end it boils down to what you want to study.

xterm wrote:

From what I've seen with the graphic designers I work with, this is hardly possible... They seem to have a very hacky/patchy approach to programming (copy paste code from around everywhere). Maybe they use the same approach they use for graphic design which is research, copy a little from here and there and what matters is the result... it doesn't work for programming. Also, years of working with Photoshop/Illustrator where you can build a blueprint in 1/2 hour (and get paid good money for it) doesn't exactly prepare then for the painful process of coding.
But seriously, do you believe that it's NOT possible? Everything is possible, just harder.
Why learn one and then the other anyway, why not learn in parallel? That would make a real website creator.

AUB has a good graphic design offering anyway (so does ALBA, incidentally). But they won't prepare you to program, and probably won't give you any time nor appreciate you learning it in parallel. For real parallel majors, look outside (Paris, or other places, where some school offer "media" or "multimedia" (or whatever it's called) degrees)

Last edited by rolf (May 16 2013)

#21 May 16 2013

Joe

Hey, since we're on the subject of mixing programming and design, is anyone here familiar with the work of Bret Victor? This dude rocks hard!

#22 May 16 2013

sylvertech

rolf wrote:

Real web designers - those who can do both the design and then the coding with HTML/CSS, or who can produce a design directly in HTML/CSS are a rare and very valuable thing.
Wether they're appreciated on the market - I don't know, but they should and hopefully they will.
Besides if you CAN do both and work as a freelancer you could potentially do insane amounts of money.
In the end it boils down to what you want to study.

xterm wrote:

From what I've seen with the graphic designers I work with, this is hardly possible... They seem to have a very hacky/patchy approach to programming (copy paste code from around everywhere). Maybe they use the same approach they use for graphic design which is research, copy a little from here and there and what matters is the result... it doesn't work for programming. Also, years of working with Photoshop/Illustrator where you can build a blueprint in 1/2 hour (and get paid good money for it) doesn't exactly prepare then for the painful process of coding.
But seriously, do you believe that it's NOT possible? Everything is possible, just harder.
Why learn one and then the other anyway, why not learn in parallel? That would make a real website creator.

AUB has a good graphic design offering anyway (so does ALBA, incidentally). But they won't prepare you to program, and probably won't give you any time nor appreciate you learning it in parallel. For real parallel majors, look outside (Paris, or other places, where some school offer "media" or "multimedia" (or whatever it's called) degrees)

This is very, very true. Working with illustrator for years does not prepare one for coding.

Learning graphic design at a college after learn to code, however, could work.

The reason I even considered graphic design is because I have already delved deeply into programming, and hated to have to relearn all that in the university.

A programmer who has studied CS in the university can perhaps recognize (there is a chance of error here; I am no expert) that actual programming really has little to do with theory.

Good basic training is need, of course. Definitely. I already have that, however (no hacky/patchy).

I've been learning programming for three or fours years now, taking it slowly, and it really is not as hard as one imagines.
Well, it is if one has a deadline or is busy with life (work/study/kids/friends/other),
then okay, but, well, high-school is not really that difficult so early on, and I was never above the occasional cheating.

Thank you for this post. This is one of the most helpful yet, maybe the most. Got me all excited!

P.S. Grade eleven ends in two weeks, and so I'll be spending this summer (as usual) practicing my hobby of coding (along with reading novels, Wikiwalking, and my rough approximation of parkour).

THANK YOU!

TL;DR version. 1. I have the coding fundamentals down and a few bits more (small projects and such for school and friends) 2. THANK YOU!

Last edited by sylvertech (May 16 2013)

#23 May 16 2013

sylvertech

rahmu wrote:

Hey, since we're on the subject of mixing programming and design, is anyone here familiar with the work of Bret Victor? This dude rocks hard!

He didn't account for people having larger resolutions, but still this is a cute layout.

#24 May 16 2013

Ayman

sylvertech wrote:

A programmer who has studied CS in the university can perhaps recognize (there is a chance of error here; I am no expert) that actual programming really has little to do with theory.

I think what makes good programmers is a combination of several bundles combined together:

1. Studying theory widens up your horizon, gives you better understanding of how things work and enables you to come up with better solutions. But you don't need too much of that.

2. Frequent hacking of projects, learning new languages and frameworks(including learning how they work), reading source code of major libraries and open source software, doing new things, failing, and coming up with better solutions, collaborate with people who are more experienced than you, and collaborate with people who are less experienced than you. All of that done over long periods of time(years).

A good university can offer you the first bundle very well, and in this age online courses can too(if you're dedicated enough). And all the rest(which make all the difference) are on you.

P.S. The amount of theory needed in programming varies depending on which domain you're working in. If you're going to work in web development, business applications and such usually you won't need much theory. If you're going to program applications with sophisticated graphics, game engines, image analysis, AI, and such you'll need to know a lot more theory.

#25 May 16 2013

venam

--

Board footer