LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 12 2013

Fischer

comparing debian 6, netbsd 6 and centos 5.9 minimal

I bought cheap kvm vps 512 mb ram, 2 cpu, for 25$ per year, i did it on purpose, i want to mess around with it, i want to apply the minimalist programming philosophy to it and see if i can create a perfect server with the minimum usage of resources that i have.
I want to keep monitoring the resources to see how well i can do.

the server itself will run many django apps on nginx. (i don't know if lighthttpd is better, last time i checked it had many memory leaks issues).

the provider offers debian 6, centos 5.9 minimal and netbsd 6 and ubuntu 12.10. ubuntu is the heaviest os, not an option.

debian would be lighter than centos i guess, but i've never used centos minimal And what about freebsd? I've never used it before, i have used centos, ubuntu and debian.

So my question is, which os is the lightest, and what about the performance.

Last edited by Fischer (May 12 2013)

#2 May 12 2013

venam

Re: comparing debian 6, netbsd 6 and centos 5.9 minimal

--

Last edited by venam (July 31 2013)

#3 May 12 2013

Fischer

I like building packages from source but not all of them, for example ffmpeg has many dependencies, building it from source is a pain, i won't be using ffmpeg on the server i was just gyving an example.

As for the database, i'm not sure, i would like to mess around, it's the perfect opportunity to do so, i won't be using mysql or postgres, i might go for mariadb or a noslq, mongo db or couch db, i believe that mongo is better for django apps, not sure though. I'll decide soon...

#4 May 12 2013

venam

--

Last edited by venam (July 31 2013)

#5 May 12 2013

Fischer

yes i have used rpm and epel on centos, i'm not a big fan, i know what you are talking i just read about pkgsrc, i'm willing to netbsd a try, if i don't like it, i'll reinstall debian.

#6 May 12 2013

Joe

• Debian 6 support is dropped in less than a year. CentOS in comparison has longer support.

• If you're running a production server, pick what you know best.

• If you want to try netbsd consider the overhead: it's going to take you a while to get completely comfortable with the OS and the community.

• I wouldn't pick Ubuntu either. That thing is bloated.

#7 May 14 2013

Fischer

i installed debian 7, it was available in solusvm, i was shocked that such a cheap provider has solusvm, the support team told be about that, they have active support team and active irc channel, and i pay 25$ per year, weird! a month ago i was migrating a website from a rack cloud and the owner of the cloud was paying about 200$ per month and i got no support since the owner didn't pay for support service...

I wanted to pick netbsd, but they don't have a big community like arch, when i was using arch, i had big help from a huge community, netbsd on the other hand seems to have a very small community, and very limited tutorials (i might be wrong) But i got nothing other than the docs, and unlike arch, they don't have too many docs

Board footer