LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 14 2012

ziadomran

Installing OSX 10.8 on a PC

Hey, I need your help in installing Mac OS X Mountain Lion on a PC1!
I really want to try Mac OS X but I don't have enough money to afford a MacBook
I tried while ago to install iAktos on my computer and dual boot it with Windows 7
After installing the iAktos, the screen showed a keyboard ( They wanted me to click something on the keyboard and it didn't work)
I tried it many times, still no hopes!

I didn't know if I had to write this topic in the Hardware category or in the Software category, but I had to ask..
After doing some researches, I had the conclusion that I need to see if my computer is able to install Mac OS X Mountain Lion or no, and the motherboard and stuff..

The first idea I've got is to ask you guys, since you are the best in helping each others!

I don't know where to start.. I don't know what to do.. But I really need to try this Mac OS X Mountain Lion!

And there is a question that have just popped on my head: Is it worth installing? I'm even ready to remove windows 7 and install Mac OS X instead, if it's worth

I'm really in a strong need of help.

Please tell me what I need, and what you need to know!

Last edited by ziadomran (December 14 2012)

#2 December 14 2012

mezin

Re: Installing OSX 10.8 on a PC

I think your problem is simple, it would help if you posted the system you are working on.

Are you on a laptop ? If so, then the built in keyboard is missing the drivers for it so you should connect a USB keyboard and mouse (if that is not working either).

The main problem you will face is obtaining drivers for your hardware, some could possibly not have any ...

#3 December 14 2012

yasamoka

An obvious question would be: what motherboard do you have? What are your PC specs?

#4 December 14 2012

ziadomran

I'm using a desktop!
Mercury
I don't know if this is the motherboard or something..
But on the case, it's written: Mercury

#5 December 14 2012

yasamoka

You need to know the motherboard, dude. We can't do anything if we don't know the motherboard.

Use tools like AIDI or HWMonitor or SiSoft Sandra Lite to get your PC specs.

#6 December 14 2012

ziadomran

How can I know my motherboard?
What to download ?

#7 December 14 2012

yasamoka

I just told you...use AIDA, HWMonitor, or SiSoft Sandra.

#8 December 14 2012

Metalloy

you want the mac experience, get a mac, stick to windows or to linux on pcs, you will just face a lot of obstacles to get Osx running on a desktop, and seeing that you're not an expert in the software department, you're better off wothout it.

#9 December 14 2012

ziadomran

When the electricity will come again, I will check them.
Obstacles? Like what?
I mean, what kind of obstacles could I face?

#10 December 14 2012

vegetaleb
Banned

Check if you can have drivers for graphic card,sound card,keyboard...
Also you have to build a separate partition from your windows's one because OSX run on apple's HDD format.
When you start your PC with the DVD of OSX it will ask you to choose a partition,the partition you made will be then formated by the apple installer then it will begin install on it.
Now I don't know if you can dual boot with both Win7 and OSX

#11 December 14 2012

ziadomran

I have everything built-in the computer, I mean there is no VGA, or something like that! Except for the wireless adapter! I'm connected to the internet by wifi through the adapter "TP-Link"
Do I need another driver for the computer to work?
I created a partition long ago, for the Mac OS X, but the thing is: a screen popped up saying that I need to try something on the keyboard and it never worked! The problem is from my motherboard? My computer? My drivers? My keyboard? Or from iAktos?

#12 December 14 2012

AvoK95

Things to note:
- Windows software doesn't work on Mac, you need to download or get the Mac version
- You hardware MUST be compatible with it, you can't just remove Windows and install Mac OS in it. It's not that simple.
- You WILL have issues with the OS since it's a PC not an iMac

I don't think you're even ready to install Mac OS, based on your computer knowledge from posts (No offense)
I suggest you stay with Windows and do A LOT of research and improve your skills, then and ONLY then install Mac OS.

#13 December 14 2012

ziadomran

So... How much does a Macbook Pro cost in Lebanon?

#14 December 14 2012

AvoK95

A lot, 1.2K+$

#15 December 14 2012

ziadomran

That's a lot..
Can't I just dual boot my computer?
Mac OS X and Windows 7
And I will get through the obstacles...

#16 December 14 2012

vegetaleb
Banned

To check your hardwares you can go to start-control panel-device manager

#17 December 14 2012

AvoK95

Believe me, if it was that easy, I would have done it along time ago... You might be able to run in via VMWare, if you find a Mac OS virtual drive image somewhere online.

#18 December 14 2012

ziadomran

Now how could I check for the motherboard, and things you need to know?
If you could help me by whatsapp or something I will be thankful!

And AvoK95, I have already tried it on a VMWare, it was like 5 months ago, Snow Leopard!
I was impressed, but I'm sure it will look even better on my computer as a primary or a secondary OS..

#19 December 14 2012

AvoK95

Can you specify your CPU ? I might identify the motherboard by the ones being used in today's standards, I bet it's either an Intel DH61WW or a Intel G31/41/43

#20 December 14 2012

ziadomran

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHZ
I believe that's what you are looking for?

#21 December 14 2012

AvoK95

Yup, your board is most probably an Intel G31.

You can press F2 before Windows boots and you can see your system information there. Your board will most probably have it's model number written there somewhere.

#22 December 14 2012

Metalloy

by obstaclea i mean mainly hardware incompatibility to certain apps, maybe some lagginess and maybe some bugs...
u dnt need to buy a macbook pro for a mac experience, you can get a used macbook air for 800 and even less.
the most important question here is why do you want to run OSX? do you need a certain app or something? curiosity?
I am asking this because  I'm pretty certain you won't really be happy with the porting experience.

#23 December 14 2012

ziadomran

To be honest, I want to try the Mac OS because I'm bored from the Windows 7, and I want to try new things.. So yeah, it's mostly curiosity and boredom. Plus I think the graphics are cool and it's easy to use.
I have an iPhone, so it will add more reasons to have a Mac or something..

#24 December 14 2012

Astex

you can check OS X compatible hardware here. If your PC is not compatible you can build a solid cheap custom hackintosh (around 500$). Check out this build, it offers quite a bit of power for the cost. More builds can be found here.

#25 December 14 2012

AvoK95

If you want to try something new, try Ubuntu Linus or Windows 8.

Board footer