LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#2 July 13 2012

rtp

Re: Racist Lebanon

are u seriously shocked !?

every nation on this planet brainwashes its people that its special and that the rest of the population is different and even inferior... that how nationality work in the first place.  Add to that the stupid society class and you will get a good view on what is going on...

People like the idea that they are superior, but the truth is that we are all equal.  Rich or poor etc... but the "will to power" wants otherwise.  Lebanese people are known for their 'Class' trend...

Why would you dress a maid in a uniform in the first place...
Start from there!
And why isn't she allow to join the family to dinner ...

Maid are so abused, i think there are more important stuff to work on then the silly idea of swimming in a beach or not... i think they will be able to live with that, unlike being abused and being mistreated, everyday!

#3 July 13 2012

The-MMMs

Although i would like us to formulate some degree of a civilized discussion here, i just know where this thread will end up.

That being said, i've been raised with the good grace of my parents teachings, and i've been taught that we're all equals and there are no exceptions.

I watched that video last night - it's a somewhat mild form of what we saw a couple months ago about that Ethiopian maid worker, the one that ended up supposedly "committing" suicide.

I also hate how people would probably say "we have even worse problems going on in Lebanon" beating the idea that its still a problem. We could say that for everything. Ignorance is the problem of the country we live in.

Last edited by The-MMMs (July 13 2012)

#4 July 13 2012

Gamer

the sad truth here is that people associate Hygiene with poverty.
everything else is derived from this association.

Would you want yourself, wife, or child to sit in a Jacuzzi with a sick person knowing that there MIGHT be a risk of getting an infection.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/20954 … -jacuzzis/
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/art … =100236417

#5 July 13 2012

Joe

Gamer wrote:

the sad truth here is that people associate Hygiene with poverty.
everything else is derived from this association.

You're not seriously suggesting that capricious germophobia is a valid justification for racism?!

#6 July 13 2012

rtp

Gamer wrote:

Would you want yourself, wife, or child to sit in a Jacuzzi with a sick person knowing that there MIGHT be a risk of getting an infection.

Your saying that the poor are the only people that might have some kind of sickness that might spread...
hmmm very interesting...

#7 July 13 2012

Gamer

rtp wrote:
Gamer wrote:

Your saying that the poor are the only people that might have some kind of sickness that might spread...
hmmm very interesting...

I said that the sad truth is that people associate Hygiene with poverty.

I did not say poor are the only people that might have some kind of sickness Please rtp dont take out of content and twist the statement.

And rahmu of course not. Im not a doctor, neither the majority of the population, and what they dont know they fear.

Remember the Mad Cow epidemic, then the Bird Flu, then the recent one about the rotten meat. Did you or people you knew stopped eating those poultry from restaurant or supermarkets because of fear on their health. though the restaurant and supermarkets posted certification on their products on being healthy.

here is a link about the association i was talking about, you can find more by just searching about it
this from that link

Prejudice Against the Poor
A lot of the prejudice against poor people can be credited to the media They associate poverty-stricken people with:
   * Bad hygiene
   * Diseases
   * Only able to work hard manual labor
   * Lack of education

#8 July 13 2012

Badieh

In Lebanon only one factor takes up the role: Prestige.

#9 July 13 2012

rtp

@Gamer , ok my bad

#10 July 13 2012

Cruel.C0re

i wonder if for example a rich  filipino tourist  (for examp) went to a resort and paid ,will they allow her to enter ?

Lebanon is living on prestige when most of people don't have it , we think ourselves to be the best and friendliest  people on the World ,yeah right , maybe to those paying some $$$.

also i don;t know why people have a maid in the first place , why don't they get a house keeper like in other countries to clean the house few times a week and she could be Lebanese...... Oh wait a lebanese woman is too class to do  this ,she might die from hunger but won't work and hear people TALKING !

same thing concerning syrian and egyptians workers in lebanon.

and they treat all of them in a bad ,disrespectful way .what a shame .

#11 July 13 2012

Gamer

@rtp: No Problem

#12 July 13 2012

rtp

Cruel.C0re wrote:

Oh wait a lebanese woman is too class to do  this ,she might die from hunger but won't work and hear people TALKING !

Don't push my buttons man!

Cruel.C0re wrote:

same thing concerning syrian and egyptians workers in lebanon.

I have known so many egyptian guy and i actually used to play football with them.. funny cool guyz

and i came to know some syrian guys, they are nice...

#13 July 13 2012

xterm

The very same thing happened to us just yesterday in Hotel Monteverde.

On a side note;

Anyways, I just wanted to make a small point here. Not all 'maids' as you call them are ill-treated. We have a house-keeper, she's Ethopian and when i make jokes about 'sending her back home', she replies one of the following:

1- 'No, you go'
2- 'If i go home, i'll take your wife and your son with me'

Our housekeeper, eats with us, dines with us, goes out with us. We've never done anything without taking her with us. If we take our son to the entertainment park, she can use the rides the same way we do. We've never ill-treated her in anyway. She's been with us for a year and half, and so far she learned arabic and english (which she also helps us with teaching my son), she also learned how to cook lebanese food and does so frequently. We don't strain her a single bit and she's extremely happy being part of our family. She has the best medical care and she idolizes my wife, she mimics everything my wife does. My wife is a major hygiene freak and thus is our house-keeper. If my wife is on a diet, our house keeper goes on a diet (which is painful to me because that means i don't get delicious food :-( ).

The bit concerning the uniform is insanely silly. Our house keeper never wears a uniform outside the house, and she wears one in the house at her OWN CHOICE because they can easily be thrown away and she doesn't want to ruin her clothes (which we make sure to get her frequently)

You may as well call her 'my daughter' because that's how both my wife and I see her.

Now concerning why we need her, I think that's relative to the person. Don't be so eager to make judgement when you're not in a position to need one, especially if you're living under your parents roof.

#14 July 13 2012

Joe

I agree with the idea that it's not racism as much as money/cast categorization. Don't get me wrong, this is a problem as much as racism; it's still a fom of segregation, but it's not rooted in racial genetical background.

The problem is that the vast majority of south asian and black people Lebanese people have seen come from extreme poverty. Think about it, they're so poor they come work in Lebanon of all places, and the atrocious conditions we know. This is when generalizations rears its ugly head.

It's true that people in Lebanon shoupd step down from their hihh horses and be more accepting of the poorer people. At the same time, we could solve the "race" issue by finding a way to attract a richer cast of asians and blacks. Let's just tackle one problem at a time.

#15 July 13 2012

practo

To be quite honest, I think it's hypocritical of people who have maids  to complain about this in the first place. Are the Lebanese really so lazy to necessitate the service of a human being 24/7? It makes me sick.

Last edited by practo (July 13 2012)

#16 July 13 2012

rtp

practo wrote:

To be quite honest, I think it's hypocritical of people who have maids  to complain about this in the first place. Are the Lebanese really so lazy to necessitate the service of a human being 24/7? It makes me sick.

if the women and men are working... who takes care of the cooking, child , cleaning ? etc...

unless you mean otherwise then you are wrong its not the people who have maids that are complaining but the maids and people that think that maids are being treated unfairly... you got it wrong or i got it wrong...

Last edited by rtp (July 13 2012)

#17 July 13 2012

practo

rtp wrote:
practo wrote:

if the women and men are working... who takes care of the cooking, child , cleaning ? etc...

unless you mean otherwise then you are wrong its not the people who have maids that are complaining but the maids and people that think that maids are being treated unfairly... you got it wrong or i got it wrong...

I grew up in Lebanon, my dad worked 15 hours a day, my mom worked 8 and they had 3 kids, we never had a maid. We had neighbors, we had daycare, we had other family members. I know people's situations are different, and I can't always compare, but how come people in places like the US and Canada can do just fine without maids? The percentage of moms who work here is much higher than in Lebanon. I have never seen a family with a maid.

I think this partially stems from the mentality that men don't do anything at home. They don't clean, they don't cook and don't take care of the babies. Some women are becoming like that too.

Last edited by practo (July 13 2012)

#18 July 13 2012

babum

practo wrote:
rtp wrote:
practo wrote:

I grew up in Lebanon, my dad worked 15 hours a day, my mom worked 8 and they had 3 kids, we never had a maid. We had neighbors, we had daycare, we had other family members. I know people's situations are different, and I can't always compare, but how come people in places like the US and Canada can do just fine without maids? The percentage of moms who work here is much higher than in Lebanon. I have never seen a family with a maid.

I think this partially stems from the mentality that men don't do anything at home. They don't clean, they don't cook and don't take care of the babies. Some women are becoming like that too.

Also, Maids in first world country charge a much much much higher price. I mean let's face it, Lebanon still has slavery and we see it with maids. They get a miserable salary and work for two years with no benefits.

Getting a maid to work like that in the US would most likely cost you thousands of dollars.

#19 July 14 2012

Badieh

practo wrote:

Not all the situations are the same, for example, my grandma lives alone at the moment, so we always keep her with one maid. The one she has now is Ethiopian, and she is such a sweetheart! So as the household owners grow up, their stamina to work/get stuff done in the house decreases, which is why a maid is needed.

#20 July 14 2012

rolf

rtp wrote:

are u seriously shocked !?

every nation on this planet brainwashes its people that its special and that the rest of the population is different and even inferior... that how nationality work in the first place.  Add to that the stupid society class and you will get a good view on what is going on...

No. Not every nation on the planet. Wrong. Not to be rude, but for lack of better way of putting it I'll just say: speak for yourself.

Thx for the video.

I saw the following a while ago, which is the same idea but taken one step further with a hidden camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Y6WU_zh9g

Last time I'm paying for any of these resorts. All these resorts are illegal to start with - I think that according to the Lebanese Law, nobody can own land next to the sea, or build on it, i'm not sure of the specificities but I think they're not supposed to exist.

#21 July 14 2012

rtp

rolf wrote:

No. Not every nation on the planet. Wrong. Not to be rude, but for lack of better way of putting it I'll just say: speak for yourself.

Can you please, give example on which country doesn't  praise nationality, and make the people believe that they are different from the rest.  Teach them national songs etc... Would be really nice of you.

#22 July 14 2012

rolf

rtp wrote:
rolf wrote:

Can you please, give example on which country doesn't  praise nationality, and make the people believe that they are different from the rest.  Teach them national songs etc... Would be really nice of you.

Germany. In fact, nationalism tends to be seen in Germany as a bad or ridiculous thing, after the Nazis, yet I personally think it's good to be proud of your nationality.

every nation on this planet brainwashes its people that its special

If I think I'm sure I can find many others on which the above does not apply.

There is always some folklore, for example about Canadian being this, Germans being that (always on time, etc.),etc. but AFAIK it is not serious and doesn't usually send the message that citizen of the country are special. I can't think of many countries where this would be the case.
I can't imagine, for example, Canadians being taught that they are special just because they're Canadian. Being told to be proud of your nationality, and being told that you're "special" and "different" because of your nationality is not the same thing.

Again (sorry if I'm repeating myself), there's a difference between being proud to be Canadian (being proud of your country), and thinking that you're different because you're Canadian.

Last edited by rolf (July 14 2012)

#23 October 14 2017

AVOlio

Reviving this old thread.

So is this sort of discrimination/racism as in not letting foreigners who work as house helpers in beaches/resorts still going on today?

Any legality behind it?

#24 October 14 2017

nuclearcat

Legality - i doubt. But probably pool owners know well truth behind that decisions, and why there is some logic behind.
My lebanese friend has hired maid to help with kids, but as he is very picky about health - he paid and sent her to routine exams, as he go by himself and send his family.
Turned out her medical papers was fake or lab didn't made tests properly, she was infected by hepatitis(and probably several other diseases, but he prefered to not talk more as he was shocked), and he was very lucky his kids was not infected, as this one contagious in some conditions, dangerous for health and VERY hard to cure (sometimes incurable). How terrible is hepatitis you can read on internet.
Honestly i don't know, how to deal with this situation properly - knowing such things.

#25 October 14 2017

eWizzard

You start by demanding better laws for those human beings to elevate them from slavery. Among those laws, you specify better medical screening and better enforcement of the screening process, before entry. After entry, if the Lebanese slavers employers don't want to pay for the medical care of their slaves domestic workers out of their own pockets, which includes private insurance, dental care, and eye care, then you make a law to make the government cover those things. If not, then you stop domestic worker immigration altogether indefinitely, until the Lebanese make some progress as a civilized society.

And that's only for the newly arriving workers. You still have tens of thousands, maybe even 100,000+ workers who ran away from their original employers, who probably lost their passports to their employers, and who are now freelancing past their allowed stay simply to stay alive, the vast majority of which you have to assume have no health coverage of any kind.

Does that sound like too much? Because we haven't even scratched the surface of this problem.

nuclearcat wrote:

But probably pool owners know well truth behind that decisions, and why there is some logic behind.

You don't think Lebanese can also transmit diseases in swimming pools?

Board footer