LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 11 2012

Kareem

ADSL Modem Comparaison [ Results ]

Hello Everyone, I had some cash to burn last week so I decided to check which Adsl modem performs the best in terms of stability and latency. All modems were stable since my line quality is good but just in case, I hope that could be helpful.

ADSL Modems  performance test on Ogero 4Mbps Adsl connection

Modems : D-link DSL-2640U, DSL-2730U
                     Linksys WAG120N, WAG160N, X3000
                     TP-Link TD-W8901G
                    Thomson  TG585 V8

Tools: WinMTR, pingtest.net,  WoW/Alteriw online game, DMT

All tests were performed on the same line / account / IP ( yes IP, you can get fixed IP but won't share the trick, sorry ) and repeated. The values reported are the minimum achieved.
Wireless performance has not been tested as I am using an Airport extreme and it's gonna be a hassle to setup/assingn/configure etc...
I do not give any guarantee of the correctness, completeness or suitablitiy for a specific purpose of any of the information provided.

Results are below :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub … utput=html

Download rate was the same on all routers 3.7Mbps with the latest firmware.

PS: I have purchased all listed routers last week for testing purpose and sold the TP-Link and WAG160N today. I still have the DSL-2730U, the WAG120N and the Thomson TG585 v8 for sale ( price is 70% of retail value, warranty and receipt included ) DSL-2640U and X3000 not for sale.

Cheers.

#2 February 11 2012

l2wal

Re: ADSL Modem Comparaison [ Results ]

weird the "TP-Link TD-W8901G" performance was better then the "X3000" ? how about the wireless range?? lol i just got X3000 waiting for it to arrive FP :(

#3 February 11 2012

Kareem

l2wal wrote:

weird the "TP-Link TD-W8901G" performance was better then the "X3000" ? how about the wireless range?? lol i just got X3000 waiting for it to arrive FP :(

Yep, it seems that the broadcom chipset is not so so .. I haven't tested the wireless performance but the x3000 is a beast trust me.

The funny thing, the cheapest modem DSL-2640U with the custom firmware wiped the floor with rivals.

X3000 is a fantastic modem that's why I'm not selling it ;)

#4 February 11 2012

l2wal

hmmm i see that's weird i wouldn't have expected that!

Hmm amazing news will receive mine tomorrow! funny thing after all this headache to get it from abroad yesterday pcandparts email me that they got the X3000 back in stock FP :/ but oh well at least ill get it tomorrow lol

#5 February 11 2012

LebGirl
Banned

what is the best modem for ADSL ?

#6 February 11 2012

Kareem

LebGirl wrote:

They all are ok if you have the latest firmware and if you are not an online gamer / care about the latency.

But overall the DSL-2640U is the best with firmware RU_1.25

#7 February 11 2012

l2wal

oh yea i forgot to ask you kareem, how's the performance of the X3000 on wireless ps3 playing? or should i cable it for better performance and the latency will it improve? i mean from my old router to the x3000 or it wont chance a lot

#8 February 11 2012

Kareem

l2wal wrote:

oh yea i forgot to ask you kareem, how's the performance of the X3000 on wireless ps3 playing? or should i cable it for better performance and the latency will it improve? i mean from my old router to the x3000 or it wont chance a lot

Didn't try it, I am connected to my Airport extreme @300Mbps 5GHz N channel and the ping to the router over wifi is <1ms all the time, rarely its =1ms so it's not adding lag at all but again it depends on every wireless card. Best thing is to try it. Btw I don't have a PS3 !

#9 February 11 2012

l2wal

oh i see! thanks for your info :-)

#10 February 11 2012

redbyte

l2wal wrote:

I have the TD-W8901G. The wireless range is actually excellent. I live in a 2 floor apartment that is pretty big, and the wireless reaches just about all areas of the house, even when walls are in the way. I was surprisingly impressed with it as I was expecting to buy a wireless bridge or booster but didnt need it in the end.

#11 February 11 2012

LebGirl
Banned

Kareem wrote:
LebGirl wrote:

They all are ok if you have the latest firmware and if you are not an online gamer / care about the latency.

But overall the DSL-2640U is the best with firmware RU_1.25

thank you Karim ,

All i do is browsing , facebook , msn , and the most important thing to me is the call quality on skype , that's all

i am not online gamer

#12 February 12 2012

Aly

Great work, looks like this took alot of time and money, thanks for sharing.

#13 February 12 2012

xazbrat

Kareem, could you add a step by step procedure to upgrade from the Ogero software to the RU-1.25 firmware, at least what info we will need, etc.   There seems to be a pretty big difference between the two and it seems that it would be worth updating.

#14 February 12 2012

Kareem

xazbrat wrote:

Kareem, could you add a step by step procedure to upgrade from the Ogero software to the RU-1.25 firmware, at least what info we will need, etc.   There seems to be a pretty big difference between the two and it seems that it would be worth updating.

Hello, it's complicated as there are different hardware version depending on your hardware revision.

You can check your modem and you will find at the bottom something called hardware revision.

Then you go to http://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/  and navigate to the correponding hardware version.

If it happens that your version is like mine C1, you navigate to http://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/DSL-2640U_BRU_C/Firmware/

and download the latest firmware. Once done, you extract the zip file, navigate to your router page 192.168.1.1, login as admin, and go to management if I remember correctly -> firmware update -> browse - > pick the file you downloaded -> update.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you dont show up online in the next 48 hours, Ill assume you screwed up.

Cheers.

#15 February 12 2012

redbyte

Kareem wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Hello, it's complicated as there are different hardware version depending on your hardware revision.

You can check your modem and you will find at the bottom something called hardware revision.

Then you go to http://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/  and navigate to the correponding hardware version.

If it happens that your version is like mine C1, you navigate to http://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/DSL-2640U_BRU_C/Firmware/

and download the latest firmware. Once done, you extract the zip file, navigate to your router page 192.168.1.1, login as admin, and go to management if I remember correctly -> firmware update -> browse - > pick the file you downloaded -> update.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Cheers.

Doesnt upgrading firmware essentially wipe off the settings in the router? I would suggest you write down all the information on the settings before upgrading firmware xazbrat

#16 February 12 2012

Kareem

redbyte wrote:
Kareem wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Cheers.

Doesnt upgrading firmware essentially wipe off the settings in the router? I would suggest you write down all the information on the settings before upgrading firmware xazbrat

yeah if he has access to the modem page, it's easy to backup everything and restore. If he is able to upgrade the firmware it means he has the username and pass with the details needed ( I suppose ) . But then again I am not responsible for the consequences .

Last edited by Kareem (February 12 2012)

#17 February 13 2012

xazbrat

I'm not dead yet--

I checked over everything--I have version C1 like you did Kareem--so I downloaded the firmware, captured the dumpcfg and have it as a text file and did a backup of my modem settings.  Anything else I am missing?

When I update, will it ask me to log on with the ogero credentials from my dumpfile or will it do it automatically?

Edit:  forgot to add that I logged into the modem using the admin/hacked credentials--will this make a difference?

Last edited by xazbrat (February 13 2012)

#18 February 13 2012

Kareem

xazbrat wrote:

I'm not dead yet--

I checked over everything--I have version C1 like you did Kareem--so I downloaded the firmware, captured the dumpcfg and have it as a text file and did a backup of my modem settings.  Anything else I am missing?

When I update, will it ask me to log on with the ogero credentials from my dumpfile or will it do it automatically?

Edit:  forgot to add that I logged into the modem using the admin/hacked credentials--will this make a difference?

If you login using the admin user, you will have access to all settings, you should use that user to update the firmware.

When you update, you will have to restore from backup file as you will lose all settings. The default username will be admin and password is admin; When you restore, you will not have to put your username and password for PPPoE or for the GUI interface, it'd done automatically.

#19 February 13 2012

xterm

Great work Kareem, thanks a lot.

I'm currently still on the Ogero Thompson modem (white and light gray) and I'm witnessing a lot of problems with it. I want to purchase a new modem and looking at your data i presume i should get the D-link DSL-2640U.

I do care about online gaming performance, so if you have any other suggestion/advice, pray tell.

#20 February 13 2012

Kareem

xterm wrote:

Great work Kareem, thanks a lot.

I'm currently still on the Ogero Thompson modem (white and light gray) and I'm witnessing a lot of problems with it. I want to purchase a new modem and looking at your data i presume i should get the D-link DSL-2640U.

I do care about online gaming performance, so if you have any other suggestion/advice, pray tell.

Are you referring to the Thomson TG585 v7 ?

#21 February 13 2012

xterm

Kareem wrote:

Are you referring to the Thomson TG585 v7 ?

I presume it is, I'll check it exactly when i get home.

#22 February 13 2012

l2wal

Finally tested my X3000 as you said kareem what a beast! amazing piece! it's handling everything smoothly, i want to ask you my friend subscribed to ogero 4MB connection and wants to buy a mid price router and he is considering getting "TP-Link TD-W8960N" do you know if its good? or he should be far away from it lol..

#23 February 13 2012

Kareem

l2wal wrote:

Finally tested my X3000 as you said kareem what a beast! amazing piece! it's handling everything smoothly, i want to ask you my friend subscribed to ogero 4MB connection and wants to buy a mid price router and he is considering getting "TP-Link TD-W8960N" do you know if its good? or he should be far away from it lol..

Yeah TP-Link have a good reputation lately and I can tell you the W8960N is a nice modem for the price tag !

Btw, did you notice any ping improvement over the old modem you had ?

#24 February 13 2012

xazbrat

Great--thanks for the info Kareem.  Updated everything and running within 5 minutes or so.  It helps when you aren't doing these kinds of things completely in the dark.

#25 February 13 2012

l2wal

Kareem wrote:
l2wal wrote:

Yeah TP-Link have a good reputation lately and I can tell you the W8960N is a nice modem for the price tag !

Btw, did you notice any ping improvement over the old modem you had ?

weird i called the official sale of TP link in lebanon and they told me W8960N is available but not for sale because it's making problems with the lebanese connection that's weird somehow sounded like they are lying to me especially after i did some research got any idea about the situation? i'm sensing something fishy about it....

yes indeed i did notice ping improvement last week i was getting an average of 200, today morning i tested it before going to work 3 times and got an average of 140 sounded perfect but i hope it stays the same at night but probably it should be constant all time ill check at night as well

Board footer