LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1601 June 26 2014

Sfenjy

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

http://www.pcm.gov.lb/arabic/subpgoldJo … ageid=3836 This is the official newspaper link . Click on the last one on the left for the month of أيار . It is when the decree was officially released

On the right search for وزارة الاتصالات under it go to  11967 . I read it all , found every detail on it like transfer from one ISP to other fees, request to change plans . installation fees as well as the governments rule for Private ISP but no mention of the free night quota.

I also looked into the newer decrees concerning وزارة الاتصالات to see if those cheeky little politicians sneaked in a decree concerning free night quota but found nothing.

Last edited by Sfenjy (June 26 2014)

#1602 June 26 2014

geekevo

I don't have a twitter someone post the image on  the minister's page.

#1603 June 26 2014

Sfenjy

I tweeted it with the picture , waiting for a reply.

#1604 June 26 2014

trent

Sfenjy wrote:

This is the official newspaper link . Click on the last one on the left for the month of أيار . It is when the decree was officially released

On the right search for وزارة الاتصالات under it go to  11967 . I read it all , found every detail on it like transfer from one ISP to other fees, request to change plans . installation fees as well as the governments rule for Private ISP but no mention of the free night quota.

I also looked into the newer decrees concerning وزارة الاتصالات to see if those cheeky little politicians sneaked in a decree concerning free night quota but found nothing.

decree 11967 cancels decree 8058 (april 25, 2012) (there is a typo in the current decree says 8085 but that decree belongs to ministry of education, so definitely a typo. gotta love our politicians for their professionalism) which is the decree that added to previous decrees unlimited free nights to all customers connected to the internet through Ogero. Therefore if the current decree does not mention it specifically again, which it doesn't, that means we lost that privilege.

I am still going through the decrees and I will update if I find anything otherwise.

Last edited by trent (June 26 2014)

#1605 June 26 2014

aboulfouf

Can anyone please tell me if the below are good and how much speed can my line take, thank you

-----DSL Information-----
DSL Driver Version:A2pD035a.d23f
DSL VPI/VCI:8/35
DSL Status:Up
DSL Mode:ADSL_2plus
DSL UpStream Rate (Kbps):1064
DSL DownStream Rate (Kbps):4398

Down           Up
DSL Noise Margin (0.1 dB):     323           65
DSL Attenuation (0.1 dB):      165           36
DSL Transmit Power (0.1 dB):   194          121

#1606 June 26 2014

thephoenician

trent wrote:
Sfenjy wrote:

This is the official newspaper link . Click on the last one on the left for the month of أيار . It is when the decree was officially released

decree 11967 cancels decree 8058 (april 25, 2012) (there is a typo in the current decree says 8085 but that decree belongs to ministry of education, so definitely a typo. gotta love our politicians for their professionalism) which is the decree that added to previous decrees unlimited free nights to all customers connected to the internet through Ogero. Therefore if the current decree does not mention it specifically again, which it doesn't, that means we lost that privilege.

I am still going through the decrees and I will update if I find anything otherwise.

FluxBB bbcode test
in other words WE'RE TOTALLY SCREWED! :/

#1607 June 26 2014

trent

That's exactly the line I'm referring to, thanks thephoenician.

edit: and this is the important page from decree 8058 which was cancelled by the current decree (6th item)

1676.gif

Last edited by trent (June 26 2014)

#1608 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

i'll go to another isp i think if that is true

#1609 June 26 2014

trent

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

i'll go to another isp i think if that is true

Any idea how fast the turn around time is if say we want to switch from Ogero to IDM?

#1610 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

lol i was thinking of switching from ogero to idm too, i don't know how much time it takes, can somebody tell us?

#1611 June 26 2014

Sfenjy

Before you switch remember this , Ogero is not applying FUP . Thanks Thanks Thanks dawle.

#1612 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

well the 12 to 7 unlimited is 70% gone so fup isn't interesting anymore unless you want 2mb unlimited plan.

#1613 June 26 2014

Sfenjy

I was being sarcastic there  No FUP is useless if there is no free night quota.

#1614 June 26 2014

HotCreep

Anyone here with sodetel? I need someone to help me shower them with emails for not upgrading on the 1st of july and waiting till the 1st of august instead.

#1615 June 26 2014

trent

How do FUPs work, particularly IDM?
A friend of mine has 4mbps on IDM and he torrents nightly, I never heard him complain about slow speeds, and he regularly games online.

If it's just a marginal drop in speed, that isn't a big deal compared to no free nights again on Ogero.

#1616 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

he torrent/download every night?

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (June 26 2014)

#1617 June 26 2014

trent

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

he torrent every night?

yup, he even travels and leaves his PC on scheduled to download nightly. He's a digital hoarder

By the way, we should campaign to keep our old plans. Thanks mister minister but we don't want your upgrade, give us back our old slow Internet.

#1618 June 26 2014

thephoenician

Around 93 percent of Ogero’s customers are on the cheapest two packages, the company’s Information Technology Director, Toufic Chebaro, tells Executive . Their monthly overcharges, he says, account for 35 percent of Ogero’s revenues..

Last edited by thephoenician (April 9 2017)

#1619 June 26 2014

andrew55

My download speeds with IDM go down to 1 mbps between 8 pm and 2 am... not too sure if this is CO related or not.. and if it is it wouldn't explain why IDM applied FUP just this month.. they aren't getting extra E1s from the ministry..

#1620 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

hey guys i calculated how many gbs we can download:
2mb---> 179 gb in 210 hrs(all unlimited nights in a month)
2mb ---> 595 gb in 720hrs (all month)

4mb----> 359 gb in 210 hrs(all unlimited nights in a month)

6mb --> 580 gb in 210hrs
(all unlimited nights in a month)
i  put 1.7mb for 2mb and 3.7 for 4mb
7.6 mb --> 737gb in 210hrs (all unlimited nights in a month)

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (June 26 2014)

#1621 June 26 2014

Ramnesia

Really no free night quota! It wouldn't be a surprise considering Lebanon is going back in time. Einstein should be jealous from us.

#1622 June 26 2014

GreenM

I'm with Cyberia and I'm considering moving to IDM for their cheap 4Mbps plan.

#1623 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

are idm pings same as ogero? or worse or better?

#1624 June 26 2014

andrew55

@trent it's b/c IDM just implemented FUP this month! so ask your friend the same question this week or at the end of next month and see if his speed is throttled or not...

#1625 June 26 2014

andrew55

@Ahmad IDM pings are relatively stable to europe (70-100 ms) but the speed decreases during peak time (at least on my side)...

Board footer