LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1526 June 23 2014

Raficoo

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

mk555 wrote:

the fair usage policy only applies to the unlimited plans.

Ogero's unlimited plan(2mbit/s) will most likely not have a FUP implemented, but Ogero already has its plans fixed so there's no flexibility when it comes to plans/prices/quotas so a point to private ISPs

#1527 June 23 2014

Adnan

I like IDM's plans ! With their 4mbps 25GB, I would get twice the speed I have with Sodetel and 150% more quota for 4$ less. I'm with Sodetel, I hope they get us something good too.

#1528 June 23 2014

geekevo

What do you guys think about HDSL? Sitting at a much better price with more quota is the 8mbps with comparable upload speeds.

#1529 June 23 2014

jsaade

Anybody knows what can I do to actually get DSL where I live (tilel ain saadeh).
Ogero says i can get a max of 128kbps :) is there someone I can contact or do they only consider some regions as part of the country?

#1530 June 24 2014

vengeance666

jsaade wrote:

Anybody knows what can I do to actually get DSL where I live (tilel ain saadeh).
Ogero says i can get a max of 128kbps :) is there someone I can contact or do they only consider some regions as part of the country?

That needs alot of work to be done from Ogero's side and ONLY Ogero's side. Contacting "someone" won't really do anything in this matter.

#1531 June 24 2014

ali.ba

Official plans from IDM : http://www.idm.net.lb/products/adsl.asp

Ogero hasn't posted anything yet.

2Mbps , 50GB seems nice.

#1532 June 24 2014

jsaade

vengeance666 wrote:
jsaade wrote:

That needs alot of work to be done from Ogero's side and ONLY Ogero's side. Contacting "someone" won't really do anything in this matter.

Ogero informed me that the municipality should apply for a box in the area. So I guess I am screwed.

#1533 June 24 2014

HotCreep

jsaade wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:
jsaade wrote:

Ogero informed me that the municipality should apply for a box in the area. So I guess I am screwed.

Try contacting the minister or his Advisor Walid Karam on twitter and let them know about your issue. ministers usually try to be helpful when contacted directly via social media, to preserve a public image. We can take advantage of that.

I had an issue with sodetel 3 years ago, and it got resolved only when I contacted Sehnaoui on twitter.

#1534 June 24 2014

sailor

ali.bassam wrote:

Official plans from IDM : http://www.idm.net.lb/products/adsl.asp

Ogero hasn't posted anything yet.

2Mbps , 50GB seems nice.

Idm always the best

#1535 June 24 2014

ILIA_93

HotCreep wrote:

Try contacting the minister or his Advisor Walid Karam on twitter and let them know about your issue. ministers usually try to be helpful when contacted directly via social media, to preserve a public image. We can take advantage of that.

I had an issue with sodetel 3 years ago, and it got resolved only when I contacted Sehnaoui on twitter.

Sehnaoui was a different kind of ministers, and he wasn't helpful to preserve a public image, believe me he will even reply to private messages. I hope this minister will be the same, anyway so far so good :)

Jsaade, you have three solutions:
1) Contact the minister. (Which will lead you to solution 2 anyway)
2) Wait until Ogero improve and upgrade your CO, when enough people are asking for DSL service.
3) Use 3G or 4G services if they're available in your area.

Maybe you should contact your neighbors, and contact the municipality and make other citizens do the same and ask for DSL services to be improved in your area. And then tell the minister about this movement, I'm sure you'll get a reaction from Ogero. And maybe your local "Mokhtar" can help you if he knows some people (Usually these old folks are the most people willing to help in this country).

Good luck getting a better internet connection.

#1536 June 24 2014

chassis

IDM is applying the FUP policy evern on the unlimited plan :/

hope ogero doesn't do the same

#1537 June 24 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

chassis they won't someone asked the consultor of the minister boutros harb (his name is walid karam), and he replied that ogero won't apply fup nor on unlimited night and nor on unlimited 24/7

#1538 June 24 2014

TheIlluminative

So can we expect Sodetel to be like IDM?

When can we expect the changes? next month? why nothing so far from the private ISPs?

#1539 June 24 2014

andrew55

FUP applies to all IDM ADSL plans. They changed it today.

#1540 June 24 2014

HotCreep

TheIlluminative wrote:

So can we expect Sodetel to be like IDM?

When can we expect the changes? next month? why nothing so far from the private ISPs?

Called Sodetel today, they told me that they know nothing yet and that the changes will be applied on the 1st of july.
She told me that we will be informed of the changes in the next 2 days probably.

#1541 June 24 2014

vegetaleb
Banned

Gonna take the 6mbs 60gb plan, it will be 6$ less than my actual 2mb 20gb :) :)

#1542 June 24 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

idm users what is the ping to paris server using speedtest.net?
3583541580.png

#1543 June 24 2014

GreenM

#1544 June 24 2014

HotCreep

GreenM wrote:

No free night quota?! That 70 gbytes plan though!

#1545 June 24 2014

andrew55

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3583631543.png

(ping to orange France; 4096/512).

#1546 June 24 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

no but really no free night quota?

#1547 June 24 2014

ILIA_93

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

idm users what is the ping to paris server using speedtest.net?
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3583541580.png

Actually, Ogero connections are better than this. Below is mine, I'm sure other people can get even better latency results.
3583720734.png

#1548 June 24 2014

partam

Terranet making a huge mistake removing free night quota

#1549 June 24 2014

wollyka

This is what i got from IDM when asking them about upgrading from 4Mbps:

We would like to thank you  for your email, and inform you that your account will be automatically upgraded to 4Mbps – Unlimited since the upgrade to 6 Mbps or 8 Mbps cannot be processed for the time being, due to technical limitations where all upgrades from the side of the Ministry have not been completed yet. We will inform you whenever the change speed can be processed in order to proceed accordingly.

Is anybody here have speed above 4 Mbps? i though that 6/8 Mbps were already implemented in last time upgrade (3 years ago?)

Last edited by wollyka (June 24 2014)

#1550 June 24 2014

nosense

wollyka wrote:

This is what i got from IDM when asking them about upgrading from 4Mbps:

We would like to thank you  for your email, and inform you that your account will be automatically upgraded to 4Mbps – Unlimited since the upgrade to 6 Mbps or 8 Mbps cannot be processed for the time being, due to technical limitations where all upgrades from the side of the Ministry have not been completed yet. We will inform you whenever the change speed can be processed in order to proceed accordingly.

Is anybody here have speed above 4 Mbps? i though that 6/8 Mbps were already implemented in last time upgrade (3 years ago?)

what was that ! and why are they auto upgrading you to the most expensive package ?

Board footer