LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5601 February 4 2019

DG

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Thanks for the reply. I just called them and they said I have to send a "location" ping from the apartment's location  (the one I wish to rent or  buy) so they can perform a coverage test. And there's a one time initial fee of around 220 USD.

The problem is, I still haven't decided where I wish to buy or rent.

Last edited by DG (February 4 2019)

#5602 February 12 2019

rolf

What is the average connection speed in Lebanon at the moment?
What can I expect, speed-wise, and reliability wise? Any other quirks?
I'm talking about DSL-type connections, not "neighborhood cable" or others.
Thank you.

#5603 February 12 2019

Doom

DxCICmaX4AAHRnV?format=jpg&name=medium
SNR vary between buildings, but for most of us here speeds aren't stable.

#5604 February 12 2019

rolf

7 Mbps, is this number realistic in your opinion and in your experience as a end user? Thank you.

#5605 February 12 2019

Doom

rolf wrote:

7 Mbps, is this number realistic in your opinion and in your experience as a end user? Thank you.

I live in an average neighborhood near a city(1.8km~ away from central),my internet speed hovers between 5mbps and 11mbps (the fluctuation is probably caused by poor cable isolation from the building).So yes, that number is realistic for me,ASSSUMING the user is living in/near a city.

#5606 February 13 2019

Mayyad

rolf wrote:

Hi
Ogero provide speed test for landlines, it is reasonably accurate, it will give you the Internet speed delivered to ogero box in your building.

Just enter your landline number and it will give you the speed of your line.

Last edited by Mayyad (February 13 2019)

#5607 February 13 2019

Hybrid

I get around 14 Mbps on open speed during the day, sometimes more. Sin El Fil centrale

Last edited by Hybrid (February 13 2019)

#5608 February 20 2019

ManOwaRR

nothing to be proud off , we still one of the worst countries  if not the worst  , and   one of the most  expensive , wake me up  when we have 50+ mb everywhere and with reasonable    prices .

#5609 February 20 2019

DG

@ManOwaRR, "50+ mb everywhere" ? Dude I have been looking for a new apartment (relatively new building 10 years or less with a phone line to use DSL).

Sad reality is, this combination does NOT seem to exist in this country. You either need to rent / buy an apartment that is older than 20 years or so to find something with a phone line OR you can buy a new apartment in a new building and reminisce about the times you had DSL internet in your old apartment.

I have been looking for more than 2 months with no luck. Might as well take a risk and buy a new apartment and try Terranet's Agogo WDSL service. But I fear that, if I do that, I might get stuck in that apartment for a very long time with no DSL (especially when FTC becomes widely available).

Last edited by DG (February 20 2019)

#5610 February 20 2019

ahk40a

Whenever FTTC is deployed, I emphasis on Whenever, it will be relatively easy to connect new building to the phone network. They will not be having any issues connecting the new building to the neighborhood cabinet compared to the area's or district's CO.

#5611 February 20 2019

DG

I thought that it will be easy (and a phone box in the building would become unnecessary) only when FTTH (to the home) is available.

As even when FTTC becomes a thing, you will still need your building to have a phone box (3elbit telephones) to be able to benefit from this.

Last edited by DG (February 20 2019)

#5612 February 21 2019

ahk40a

Yes I agree with you, but relatively it will be easy to have a box once you have FTTC in your area. They will have to pull a cable from the building the manhole in front of your building and through the conduits into the cabinet. Now they still have to have a space in the cabinet's primary and secondary cables that could be full. By using the fiber they eliminate the primary cable that runs all the way to the Central Office.

#5613 March 5 2019

Ari

i am dealing with a company called fast2serve in jbeil. they are one of the best!  i am 16 k.m away from their base, using microwave technology as ogero's switch in our town is old thus slow. i always get pings ranging 15 to 50 and download speed of 5.5-6 Mbps and uploads of 4. but seriously thinking to change it to ogero's fiber optic when they deploy it here in q4 2019 as my home is only 150 meters away from the switch and have direct underground cable with it! what do you think ? should i change ?or stay with the stable one ?

#5614 March 6 2019

ahk40a

Ari wrote:

i am dealing with a company called fast2serve in jbeil. they are one of the best!  i am 16 k.m away from their base, using microwave technology as ogero's switch in our town is old thus slow. i always get pings ranging 15 to 50 and download speed of 5.5-6 Mbps and uploads of 4. but seriously thinking to change it to ogero's fiber optic when they deploy it here in q4 2019 as my home is only 150 meters away from the switch and have direct underground cable with it! what do you think ? should i change ?or stay with the stable one ?

Once VDSL2 is deployed in your area, I would definitely recommend going with it. It would be more stable than broadband. Speeds would be 100 Mbit/s at up to 500 meters, and you might get even more if they don't throttle it.

Again, this will be subject to pricing and caps that you have to refer to.

Eventhough you have direct link to the cabinet, it doesn't mean that you might get the best of the speed. It all relies on the cable quality, cabling quality and loops inside your premises and the induced noise generated in your building, such as elevators.

I have faced such an issue, if I connect the telephone jack loop inside the house, the speeds drops from 7Mbps to 2Mbps.

Last edited by ahk40a (March 6 2019)

#5615 March 12 2019

rolf

Hybrid wrote:

I get around 14 Mbps on open speed during the day, sometimes more. Sin El Fil centrale

Thank you

#5616 April 9 2019

FadZ

Lo and behold, Open Speed, everyone.

Man, I'm really just considering to switch to a non-DSL ISP at this point.

toptierspeed

#5617 April 9 2019

anayman_k7

The speed depends on the distance between you and the Central and how clean the phone line signal is, you need to investigate before taking any decision

#5618 April 10 2019

FadZ

anayman_k7 wrote:

The speed depends on the distance between you and the Central and how clean the phone line signal is, you need to investigate before taking any decision

It started out at around double that speed when I first installed (around 2 years ago).

It progressively got worse, and I tried it all. Changed wiring in house, box, ADSL splitters, etc. Nothing worked. Ogero employees came over a couple of times but were no help either. They thought there's no problem. The speed kept getting worse, even though nothing's changing (I'm not doing anything that would make it become worse).

Meanwhile, my neighbour's non DSL wifi looks like this on average. Not perfect, but I'm in the south and not in a main city, so it's as good as it gets.

w2uU0Wu.png

#5619 April 10 2019

ahk40a

FadZ wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

It started out at around double that speed when I first installed (around 2 years ago).

It progressively got worse, and I tried it all. Changed wiring in house, box, ADSL splitters, etc. Nothing worked. Ogero employees came over a couple of times but were no help either. They thought there's no problem. The speed kept getting worse, even though nothing's changing (I'm not doing anything that would make it become worse).

Meanwhile, my neighbour's non DSL wifi looks like this on average. Not perfect, but I'm in the south and not in a main city, so it's as good as it gets.

https://i.imgur.com/w2uU0Wu.png

In order to better investigate the problem you have to do the following:
1- disconnect the internal looping inside your house
2- check the SNR and attenuation inside your router
3- if you have doubt, try to define the termination port of your cable at ogero's box in your building. Typically, it will be located in the electrical room.

You have said that you used to have better speed, try to ask ogero to check the status and the health of the port linked to your account on the DSLAM side.

#5620 April 10 2019

wollyka

I had a similar situation some time ago

IT was the  port linked to my account on the DSLAM side. They changed the port and the speed returned

ahk40a wrote:
FadZ wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/w2uU0Wu.png

In order to better investigate the problem you have to do the following:
1- disconnect the internal looping inside your house
2- check the SNR and attenuation inside your router
3- if you have doubt, try to define the termination port of your cable at ogero's box in your building. Typically, it will be located in the electrical room.

You have said that you used to have better speed, try to ask ogero to check the status and the health of the port linked to your account on the DSLAM side.

#5621 June 14 2019

random-username

I want to change my DSL plan to unlimited for the summer, I'm planning on using the internet heavily in July since I am off work and will have a lot of family over.

On the ogero website it says this: "Note: Change DSL Speed will be implemented during the second or third working day of the next Billing Cycle (ie: Next Month)."

Does this mean that in the first 2-3 days of July my new plan will be active? Or is the billing cycle in the middle of the month, that's when I usually get the email to pay my bill?

#5622 June 14 2019

Hybrid

random-username wrote:

I want to change my DSL plan to unlimited for the summer, I'm planning on using the internet heavily in July since I am off work and will have a lot of family over.

On the ogero website it says this: "Note: Change DSL Speed will be implemented during the second or third working day of the next Billing Cycle (ie: Next Month)."

Does this mean that in the first 2-3 days of July my new plan will be active? Or is the billing cycle in the middle of the month, that's when I usually get the email to pay my bill?

I think the billing cycle is on 15th or 17th, not sure about it, but that's what I remember

#5623 June 16 2019

ahk40a

Hybrid wrote:
random-username wrote:

I think the billing cycle is on 15th or 17th, not sure about it, but that's what I remember

Billing Cycle is on the 1st of each month, the bills are issued on the +/- 15th of each month.

#5624 June 16 2019

xazbrat

ahk40a wrote:
Hybrid wrote:
random-username wrote:

Billing Cycle is on the 1st of each month, the bills are issued on the +/- 15th of each month.

^^ This

You should try to do it now to get the new plan in by the beginning of the month.  Just make sure you don't go nuts thinking there is no quota at the beginning--it may take up to a week to get the plan into effect, so check the website for your status, or call them to make sure.

#5625 June 17 2019

hishjwnz

Hi Everyone,
Are you aware of any DSL offers that are minimalistic. like less than 10 $ per month with low speed and low Data cap. i used to be with mobi and they had for a while a 10$ plan with 4Mps and 15 GB but they removed this plan after a couple of months. I need it for an office that is barely used (sometimes less than a couple of times a month). I just let the Mobi plan run out without recharging it and it's now being canceled because we're barley using it since the poor economic situation has left us with 1/8 of the amount projects we were getting 2 years ago. I just think it isnt worth paying ~200$ a year  (16$ / month the current minimum plan) for ~20-30 days of actual yearly usage.

Board footer